Temp cover for 18yo on my Boxster

Had a request from daughter to be able to drive my 987.2 to her end of year prom

I've no issue as she's driven it off road before but struggling to find anyone who'll insure until she's 25 - tried all the advertised 'day cover' type operators, current insurer (Aviva) and Adrian Flux

Any wildcard suggestions on somewhere to try ?

Edited by K3LVC

• K3LVC changed the title to Temp cover for 18yo on my Boxster

I heard today that the average car insurance quote for a 17 yr old is now £3000 p.a.

They really don't want young people to drive at all, still less a Porsche.

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

I heard today that the average car insurance quote for a 17 yr old is now £3000 p.a.

They really don't want young people to drive at all, still less a Porsche.

Full year price is £14k for a car worth less than that :(

Apparently no short-term options - maybe I just nip over into West Yorkshire and hire one of their overnight specials   

• Sad 1

There is a workaround - get a full policy for her (no matter how much) and pay the first month premium. After the event, cancel the insurance - as long as you do it within 14 days, they legally have to pay your premium back minus a small admin fee (£25 from Admiral, for example).

My son did this when he wanted to drive my car and see if it was worth getting one himself.

• Sad 1

On 6/24/2024 at 9:40 PM, nelmo said:

There is a workaround - get a full policy for her (no matter how much) and pay the first month premium. After the event, cancel the insurance - as long as you do it within 14 days, they legally have to pay your premium back minus a small admin fee (£25 from Admiral, for example).

My son did this when he wanted to drive my car and see if it was worth getting one himself.

Imagine the nightmare of a non-fault accident resulting in a personal injury claim.

There are times I despair I really do :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

This may be too late for you, but may help others. I got my 18 year old son insured on my SLK by adding him as a temporary additional driver for one day with my own insurer. Cost £20 for the day. I had tried the usual day cover suspects with no joy, but thought, nothing ventured and surprisingly they allowed it, with an extra £500 excess. That was with Hastings but worth a go, whoever you are with. 

• Like 1