Sleep mode

moneypit

Sorry if this has been done to death. I may have to leave my 987 outside for 7-8 days, locked up and not connected to any form of charger. I've heard they go to sleep after a few days undriven, and worry that when I come back, my amateurish attempts to gain entry will set the alarm off at an unsociable hour. As I understand it, when it's in sleep mode, you simply put the key in the doorlock and open it, however, as it was told to me, if you turn the key in the wrong direction, this will set the alarm off? Anyone tell me what to expect? Cheers, Andy.

Mine does this frequently, (usually after 7 days)

Put the key in the door, turn to unlock & put the key straight into the ignition and turn it to on (even if you don't start the car).

I've only had the alarm sound if you don't put the key into the ignition and turn it after unlocking the car.

Once you open the door with the key, just put the key in ignition straight away and turn on. The alarm won't come on then.

As John ^^^

Or key in the lock, unlock it then lock it again before removing the key, then remove key and press the button to unlock.  No alarm sounds.

9 hours ago, jollop said:

You don't need to put the key in at all on a 987.  Just, while locked, lift the drivers door handle then release - this wakes the car up.  Then unlock with the button on the key as usual.

Thanks, that seems to be a little known nugget. How did you find this out, if you don't mind me asking, I've not seen that said anywhere else I've looked.

Not sure, must have read it somewhere - I just looked in the manual and it mentions unlocking with the key.  My car spends a lot of time in the garage and therefore asleep, I always wake it by lifting the door handle - seems much easier to me.

18 hours ago, johnk1946 said:

On my 987.2 I put the key in the door lock and turn to open position and press open on the key fob. No alarms or anything unusual.

That's what I used to do with my 987.  If you manually unlocked the car, then opened the door without first pressing the button on the key fob, the alarm would still be armed and would go off.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm still learning about the 987.2 and didn't realise there was a sleep mode so thanks.

this battery drain that people refer to, how real a problem is this as I didn't know it was an issue and a bit worried now as I want to leave my car undriven for c.5 days and don't want a flat battery as a consequence.

i know I can put it on a trickle charger but I just want to understand the issue first.

Hi Onedesi.  Five days should be absolutely problem if yourequired battery is in good nick.   I often left my former 987.1 for a fortnight and, once I'd "woken her up", she fired up without any problem.  I would sometimes use the trickle charger to make sure the battery was fully charged before going away for longer, but wouldn't leave it on while I was away. 

Not sure if it's the same process on the 987.2, but I "woke her up" by inserting the key in the driver's door lock, manually unlocked the car, then withdrew the key and pressed the lock/unlock button to disarm the alarm. (If I didn't do this, the alarm would go off when I opened the driver's door. )

Actually,  I don't think it will go to sleep unless it's left locked for more than a week, IIRC. 

Yup - on my 987.1 I only use at the weekends I just pull the handle once, then unlock on the keyfob button - combinations of unlocking via lock and key just set the alarm off.

Just come back from two weeks holiday and it started on the button, was worried it might struggle with drain.

24 minutes ago, Scottyp3000 said:

Yup - on my 987.1 I only use at the weekends I just pull the handle once, then unlock on the keyfob button - combinations of unlocking via lock and key just set the alarm off.

Just come back from two weeks holiday and it started on the button, was worried it might struggle with drain.

It looks like we've all been shown slightly different ways to "wake her up", in my case by the previous owner.  Never bothered to check the handbook! 

Whatever works...☺

Hi, thanks for all the replies, just to update, when I returned to the car ( after 8 days away ) it was as simple as lifting the handle and using the remote as normal afterwards. Cranked over for slightly longer than normal before starting, otherwise no surprises.

Thanks again, Andy.  

Cheers Angus, hope your new one's all you hoped it would be? For the record, I couldn't be happier with your old one, had a few great drives in it up to Hartside, and just driven back from Southampton, it's been faultless. Even the cd player seems to be starting to get the message! All the best, cheers, Andy.

By the way, did this car ever get a remap? It's significantly quicker than the one I had last year, on paper they're the same spec, but this one would murder the last one!

Not to my knowledge Andy and I had nothing to compare it to. I thought they were all as fast as that :)  ! I did start thinking about a remap and put some posts on the forum asking for recommendations but I couldn't find anyone local.

I am so pleased that the car is going well

The new car (The black pearl) is awesome................... and I don't use that term very often. ;)

I didn't have the other one for long, but it wasn't like this one! I got the impression from the test drive that you don't hang about though, so maybe it's just a bit more "free'd up" than the last one! :D

Let me know if you're ever having a run out.......I have a few Porsche owning mates, we're always looking for the next daft thing to get mixed up in. Great that you like the new one, I'll look forward to seeing it at some point.

On 15/09/2016 at 2:48 PM, jollop said:

You don't need to put the key in at all on a 987.  Just, while locked, lift the drivers door handle then release - this wakes the car up.  Then unlock with the button on the key as usual.

Tried this yesterday and it works, much easier than faffing with putting the key in the lock... :D

So, as a follow up to this.........my car's been sat in the garage unlocked on a smart charger for a week now. Will it have gone to sleep under these circumstances, and if so, will lifting the handle ( which will actually open the door, due to it being unlocked ) wake it up?

4 hours ago, paulchamby said:

Completely off topic, but if it's left unlocked (even in the garage) it wont be insured against theft....

Cars are only left unlocked while they are safe.  If anyone's car was stolen, I'm sure it would have been locked. ;)

Archived