What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Drove to Sutton and back to collect a Lapis blue hardtop and stand for my car. When i got home both my wife and my two daughers shouted - yuck, that doesnt look nice and even worse said that it made my car look like a MX5 ?

I will be selling the hardtop no sooner than i got it. Let me know if anyone wants a Lapis blue hardtop in as new condition with stand.

Don't give up on it too quickly! 

My car came with the hardtop option.  Yes, the car does look different with it installed, but I've come to like the look of the hardtop.   I live in Seattle with a climate very similar to yours and I find the hardtop is a VERY nice option during the 6 to 8 rainy/cool months we have every year.  The hardtop keeps the car very snug and dry inside.

I've had a number of non-Porsche people ask me "What kind of car is that?" when I've had the hardtop on.  It certainly gives the car a different look.

Edited by S8ked

52 minutes ago, Rav said:

Drove to Sutton and back to collect a Lapis blue hardtop and stand for my car. When i got home both my wife and my two daughers shouted - yuck, that doesnt look nice and even worse said that it made my car look like a MX5 ?

I will be selling the hardtop no sooner than i got it. Let me know if anyone wants a Lapis blue hardtop in as new condition with stand.

Lapis blue over viola I'm not surprised it doesn't look good.  Need the same colour as the car and then the hard top looks sweet.  I've also found it great over the winter months for keeping the damp out and protecting the rag top.

4 hours ago, Rav said:

If you HAVE to sell it..... let me know. Stick with it for a while., I think the other guys are right. You have to give these things time. 

On 6/9/2018 at 8:32 AM, TimsterC said:

I’m making a bunch of those at the moment. If you want any help.

Thank you! Your thread had certainly given me some inspiration for mine. Rather than going for a "one-touch", I've programmed it so you have to tap the button three times within a second for it to fully open or close, otherwise it operates as normal.  

I've just ordered parts to start assembly (decided to go with one of these), I may be in touch shortly about assembly tips :)

Treated the roof with the Autoglym kit over the weekend- have been rewarded with perfect top down weather today!

5 hours ago, Schecter said:

Thank you! Your thread had certainly given me some inspiration for mine. Rather than going for a "one-touch", I've programmed it so you have to tap the button three times within a second for it to fully open or close, otherwise it operates as normal.  

I've just ordered parts to start assembly (decided to go with one of these), I may be in touch shortly about assembly tips :)

Treated the roof with the Autoglym kit over the weekend- have been rewarded with perfect top down weather today!

Might work, but the code that is out there may not work with that board. You'd need to rewrite the code to deal with the different pinouts on the board.

1 hour ago, TimsterC said:

Might work, but the code that is out there may not work with that board. You'd need to rewrite the code to deal with the different pinouts on the board.

You're right, but I wrote all my code from scratch, so it's working on both an Arduino Uno and the Attiny85 I linked to. At least, I should say, the bench prototype is working on both!

13 hours ago, Schecter said:

You're right, but I wrote all my code from scratch, so it's working on both an Arduino Uno and the Attiny85 I linked to. At least, I should say, the bench prototype is working on both!

Good skills

On 6/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, S8ked said:

Don't give up on it too quickly! 

My car came with the hardtop option.  Yes, the car does look different with it installed, but I've come to like the look of the hardtop.   I live in Seattle with a climate very similar to yours and I find the hardtop is a VERY nice option during the 6 to 8 rainy/cool months we have every year.  The hardtop keeps the car very snug and dry inside.

I've had a number of non-Porsche people ask me "What kind of car is that?" when I've had the hardtop on.  It certainly gives the car a different look.

@S8ked is right, don't be too hasty the hard top is like having three different cars in one, roof, hood and topless. The car is very different in all three, and as said, it does provoke a certain amount of interest from people who can't make out what the car is.

I just got back from a trip to Seattle, it's a long way to go for three days, but the surrounding countryside is stunning, would be a very nice place to driver the Boxster ?

Checked it over and got it ready for trip to The Alps next Tuesday/Wednesday. In doing so I put the hood in to service position so that I could check the rear drain holes for crud. While I was in there I noticed that a lot of detritus seems to get trapped in the folds of the bottom-rear hood seal, looked like it's been there for ages as I suppose it's not something most people would look at, and it's not visible when washing the car normally, so that was cleaned out and treated too. Switzerland here we come! :thumbsup_still:

• Like 1

Went over to see the, very nice, @Richard Hamilton yesterday and talked about the Arduino AutoTop project  got some good ideas and vital information for future use  

Am currently sat waiting for Leo to pass his MOT medical. 

Am currently sat waiting for Leo to pass his MOT medical. 

And just heard the magic words. “All good, that’s a pass.”

No advisories either! Yay ? 

On 6/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, Saxosim said:

Fitted a replacement fuel cap, lanyard and plastic rivet to replace the potentially faulty old cap due to a slight fuel smell after driving for a bit.  Suprisingly only £9.50 from OPC so worth a try for that price!

XdHacyZ.jpg

You inspired me to clean out my fuel cap, so much better!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 7:08 PM, Sazzy said:

I've got all the glue off, polished and t cut it but sadly the paint is no more! I always thought it looked like the badge sat lower than on other cars, now I know why. Nothing is ever simple with this car. ?

I've stuck the old one back on with double sided tape as the bloody pins broke off removing that one too! They are very fragile.

@Sazzy I think the 986 and 987 badges are different, I wonder if an inappropriate badge was fitted, either the old or new one and the pins were in different places. A thought. 

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

@Sazzy I think the 986 and 987 badges are different, I wonder if an inappropriate badge was fitted, either the old or new one and the pins were in different places. A thought. 

A good thought at that. I'm not sure about the 986 v 987 but the one it has on it is definitely wrong, it's an old style one for cars up to 1994. That's why I wanted to get the proper (shiny!) one on it.

I lined it up with the new one and the pins are in the same place though. It's gotta be 'cos someone just bunged it on any old how with a ton of glue. Still not decided what I'm gonna do about it long term. 

On 6/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, Sazzy said:

A good thought at that. I'm not sure about the 986 v 987 but the one it has on it is definitely wrong, it's an old style one for cars up to 1994. That's why I wanted to get the proper (shiny!) one on it.

I lined it up with the new one and the pins are in the same place though. It's gotta be 'cos someone just bunged it on any old how with a ton of glue. Still not decided what I'm gonna do about it long term. 

What about the ultra lightweight approach and use the printed decal like Porsche did with one of the GT# cars (997GT2RS?)

On 6/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, Saxosim said:

Fitted a replacement fuel cap, lanyard and plastic rivet to replace the potentially faulty old cap due to a slight fuel smell after driving for a bit.  Suprisingly only £9.50 from OPC so worth a try for that price!

XdHacyZ.jpg

Hi - did the new cap sort the fuel smell?

Cheers,

Mike.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, Sazzy said:

when I ordered a new one for Molly - OPC gave me a 991 part number. 

I'd say 986,987 and 981 are all the same profile and mounting.  The shields do differ slightly with the latter having a more modern and smoother look

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MikeT999 said:

Hi - did the new cap sort the fuel smell?

Cheers,

Mike.

I think so yes as I havent really smelt fuel again since.  If the cap doesn’t sort it apparently it’s likely to be the fuel sender unit located below the battery tray 

• Thanks 1