What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Must have been crabbing all over the place on the way there!

Oddly it drove straight, just steering heavier than usual.

Drives really nicely now just need some better weather to give it a run and bed in the brakes and scrub the tyres.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fizz said:

Nice work with the angle grinder! The moment you fix something like that is like a weight is lifted off your shoulders and you can drive around without being embarrassed! I need to still sort my pads out and clean up the brake shims etc as mine sequels when it gets hot. 

I plan to refresh the discs all around next month. My right rear disc looks like it was overheated at some point and all of them show wear in varying degrees. Would be nice to have new discs and they're not that expensive from AUTODOC.

At the same time I will replace the pads and refresh the brake fluid as well. And yes, it's nice not to be embarrassed by a horrendous squealing sound accompanying you whenever you drive down the road.

Just back from a shakedown drive in the 986 around the Hambleton Hills.

Pleased to report it drove beautifully. Koni dampers are excellent, still what I would describe as a firm ride but pretty good at absorbing the crappy road surfaces at urban speeds then it stiffens up as speed rises. Cornering is very flat.

Brakes just getting better as they bed in.

Maxxis VS5 tyres grip very well when you give it some beans out of a corner or exiting a roundabout. They don’t tramline nor are they particularly noisy.

Car much quieter now to the extent that I can hear what must be the window regulators rattling. Can these be adjusted or is it just a sign they are worn out and need replacing?

@Everywhen I thought this of the window regulators, but found it to be the door card squeaking in the channel their top edge hooks into on the window seal rubber. A dose of silicone aerosol spray solved it, but push the first bit of rubber aside as you work your way along.  Have a poke around and hopefully you will see what I mean. 5 minute fix.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, ½cwt said:

Finally sorted a rear end creaking.  Coffin arm and toe link bolts not correctly torqued after tracking....  I usually check immediately after the tracking is done, but I was sure he took out a torque wrench after I'd told him 100Nm.  Moral, always check you nuts!

I’ve been chasing a front squeak for a really long time. Replaced coffin arms with no improvement, was about to do diagonals when I read this. Sure enough, front diagonal mounts were scary loose. I think what happened was I used the torque spec for the bolt going into aluminum for the one going into steel as well- when I fitted the Eibach ARB. 
  Drove last night and the squeak is gone. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

New rear drop links fitted. Better but still some slight knocking over the wonderful uk roads. Tuning forks next. Luckily watching spider ones on fleabay and they othered me a 15 % discount. Something to remember. Some play in lower joints, but overall the drop links were not bad.previously been changed. While on the car, fitted the gt3 front brake air ducts. Gotta be the cheapest 986 upgrade you can do. 🤙🏻

Gt3Gt3Gt3

38 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

New rear drop links fitted. Better but still some slight knocking over the wonderful uk roads. Tuning forks next. Luckily watching spider ones on fleabay and they othered me a 15 % discount. Something to remember. Some play in lower joints, but overall the drop links were not bad.previously been changed. While on the car, fitted the gt3 front brake air ducts. Gotta be the cheapest 986 upgrade you can do. 🤙🏻

Gt3Gt3Gt3

You got me, one pair of 997 GT3 brake 'ducts' ordered from my OPC, hopefully collect on Saturday when I go for my Taycan test drive!  For under £10, who wouldn't, and just because you can!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You got me, one pair of 997 GT3 brake 'ducts' ordered from my OPC, hopefully collect on Saturday when I go for my Taycan test drive!  For under £10, who wouldn't, and just because you can!

For a tenner. Why not indeed. 😎🤙🏻

20 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

can you share the cost and the indy you used?

Yes i used Autostrasse near Colchester. The cost was £650 inc. VAT. Service was £280+VAT, fluid change was £65+VAT. Brake parts was £54+VAT. The rest was labour. It was less than i expected, but then I knew it all depended on whether they can get the brake pipe out of the caliper and off the flexi pipe without it all being seized.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

For a tenner. Why not indeed. 😎🤙🏻

Yes, but currently out of stock in UK and German parts distribution so 10 day delivery so I cxld as Im only going in that direction on Saturday this weekend to drive one of their Taycans....  I'll get them next time I need other OPC parts, if I remember.

Changed the ancillary belt. Nice easy job. All pulleys and pump bearings feel good. Belt was starting to crack, so needed changing.🤙🏻

Today

Fitted some wheel decals. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I like them.

W

Then out for a sprint through the woods. And a stop off for a quick shandy. 😉

T

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Took it for an evening run to a PCGB meet at Symounds Yat.  Good fun both ways, especially the A466 from Chepstow to Monmouth..

I now know how bad the standard headlights are....

cr*p they are indeed. 😂. Fit nightbreakers and led’s in the side lights. Much better but obviously not as good as Lits and other modern options. 🤙🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

Took it for an evening run to a PCGB meet at Symounds Yat.  Good fun both ways, especially the A466 from Chepstow to Monmouth..

I now know how bad the standard headlights are....

I have put Ring 55w 200% bulbs in mine, dipped and mains and very pleased. 
dipped and main beam pics below

f2i2iG9.jpg
CxfA68H.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TV8 said:

I have put Ring 55w 200% bulbs in mine,

Do these burn hotter compared to standard spec lamps?

Am asking because I’ve seen a few 986 with halogens that have brown “burns” on the internal lenses. 

22 minutes ago, map said:

Am asking because I’ve seen a few 986 with halogens that have brown “burns” on the internal lenses. 

You should be fine on a standard 55w output. These are the same as the 100-200% brighter bulbs from the other manufacturers. It's when you use 100w bulbs when you will have issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, map said:

55 watts is the heat input to the bulb and is the maximum output. Should not be a problem.

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Thanks 1