What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

The door speaker project continues.  Loom swapped, speaker box and replacement door card fitted on passenger side.  Membrane resealed with new butyl tape.  Nice surprise was the wiring for the door puddle light is already in the main loom, so only speaker wiring to get through the A pilar multi-way plug and back to the head unit.  Hopefully I can get the driver's door done tomorrow.

What was concerning though was the bottom edge of the door card carpet was wet and there was some water in the floor pan too.  No evidence of moisture coming from a possible membrane breach and no wet carpet to show it might be coming from the heater matrix, ventilation intake.  I will continue to monitor...

• Like 1

As I hoped, I got the door card and loom swapped in the driver's door today.  Added bonus of not only of a courtesy light on the door, but illumination to the internal door handle too!  So generous these guys at Porsche to put the wiring in the main loom so those were plug and play, and it is feeling a bit more like the overall quality a Porsche should be.  The replacement door cards had gey leather handles which I've kept rather than fitting my black ones as the silver finish is in much better condition, as are the door bin covers, so overall a nice little set of upgrades. Interesting learning experience removing the original and refitting the replacement looms.

All I have to do now (with a little assistance for @Richard Hamilton) is wait for my OPC to come back with what the pins are that go into the A-pillar loom plug so I can then patch in the door speakers and fit the 4Ω resistors in series to the dash speakers, 4Ω impedance, so I can run the two pairs in parallel off the front speaker outputs to make the head unit think it is only 4Ω total resistance on each channel.

Pics - poverty spec door card at the bottom:

ibZVklq.jpg Yes, the driveway is a disgrace for weeds and moss.

And the replacement driver's side card fitted:

UViojky.jpg 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, greenman986s said:

What about the airbags?

The airbags bolt into the inner door frame with bolts. The panel on the card is just a trim panel they burst through, weakened along the central stitch detail.  I did have to take them off to get the loom out and to thread the replacement back in, but with the battery disconnected, they plugged back in and no light on the dash to say there is a problem when it all powered up again.  I did however make sure I was standing behind the door when I connected and disconnected them, just in case....

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 7:05 PM, ½cwt said:

As I hoped, I got the door card and loom swapped in the driver's door today.  Added bonus of not only of a courtesy light on the door, but illumination to the internal door handle too!  So generous these guys at Porsche to put the wiring in the main loom so those were plug and play, and it is feeling a bit more like the overall quality a Porsche should be.  The replacement door cards had gey leather handles which I've kept rather than fitting my black ones as the silver finish is in much better condition, as are the door bin covers, so overall a nice little set of upgrades. Interesting learning experience removing the original and refitting the replacement looms.

All I have to do now (with a little assistance for @Richard Hamilton) is wait for my OPC to come back with what the pins are that go into the A-pillar loom plug so I can then patch in the door speakers and fit the 4Ω resistors in series to the dash speakers, 4Ω impedance, so I can run the two pairs in parallel off the front speaker outputs to make the head unit think it is only 4Ω total resistance on each channel.

Pics - poverty spec door card at the bottom:

ibZVklq.jpg Yes, the driveway is a disgrace for weeds and moss.

And the replacement driver's side card fitted:

UViojky.jpg 

Looks much better. I'm surprised that the poverty spec ones don't even have the courtesy lights built in!

Just now, jonogt6 said:

Looks much better. I'm surprised that the poverty spec ones don't even have the courtesy lights built in!

It could be the early face lift for 2001 that saw them become standard, or it could be with anything other than the basic audio system i.e. with door speakers.  Given the main loom has the wiring for it already it must have been a 'core' part at least in 2000 if not fitted to all.  All very nice given that the interior light didn't work at all when I got the car 5 years ago due to some corrosion on one circuit in the alarm module (yes, it had been wet at one time in the past), a quick bypass to splice into a suitable live supply under the passenger seat finally fixed that issue.

I ordered what I hope are the pins for the main loom socket, so will get the extra sounds soon too, once they come in from Germany, and I need to add the resistors to the dash speakers now I have the correct size female spade connectors.

• Like 1

I started trying to tackle the gearbox mounts yesterday then gave up in frustration.  I have a couple of questions please :

1.  Simplest first - do the wheels need to come off?  Because if they are staying on this makes raising the car much simpler.

2. Do I need to remove the big plate under the gearbox to get access?  I think I can get to the mounts with this in situ.  But when I tried yesterday I had problems getting to the bolt head on the top of one of the mounts - passenger side.  There was/were a/some small tube/s or pipe/s which prevented access for the 13mm spanner.

3. How are people raising the rear end of the car - assuming you need to remove the big plate which sits beneath the gearbox?  I jacked up the car one side at a time on the jack points and then positioned my axle stands on the 2 bars either side of the big plate cover thing.  This meant I could not remove the big plate thing.

4. I bought some solid type mounts - link below.  These dont appear to have the square section which locate into the bracket.  Will these work or have  bought the wrong thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234268687380

17 minutes ago, ATM said:

I started trying to tackle the gearbox mounts yesterday then gave up in frustration.  I have a couple of questions please :

1.  Simplest first - do the wheels need to come off?  Because if they are staying on this makes raising the car much simpler.

2. Do I need to remove the big plate under the gearbox to get access?  I think I can get to the mounts with this in situ.  But when I tried yesterday I had problems getting to the bolt head on the top of one of the mounts - passenger side.  There was/were a/some small tube/s or pipe/s which prevented access for the 13mm spanner.

3. How are people raising the rear end of the car - assuming you need to remove the big plate which sits beneath the gearbox?  I jacked up the car one side at a time on the jack points and then positioned my axle stands on the 2 bars either side of the big plate cover thing.  This meant I could not remove the big plate thing.

4. I bought some solid type mounts - link below.  These dont appear to have the square section which locate into the bracket.  Will these work or have  bought the wrong thing?

@bally4563 ???

4 hours ago, ATM said:

1. Wheels can stay on.
2. Pretty sure you need the big plate out of the way to support the gearbox when you take the mounts off.
3. Where the big plate meets the diagonal braces is where I jack up each side of the car and then put axle stands under the jacking points.
4. Not sure. Without it locating itself with the square section it might make re-assembly a pain if you don't have your angles right, no idea if it's a problem with movement once it's all bolted together. If you want another little project just take your old mounts and fill them with polyurethane for £8. You can cut the top off, puncture the fluid sack and do as much as you can there, then flip them over and cake all that space around the square section as well. That's effectively what your ebay link mounts are. @edc has this on his car, but just the top half poly'd.

• Thanks 1

Almost finished removing exhaust manifolds. 8 bolts snapped, three heads rounded, and one bolt came out normally!

Loosened all exhaust fittings and removed rear bumper. Will take the angle grinder to it tomorrow and remove the last three.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Almost finished removing exhaust manifolds. 8 bolts snapped, three heads rounded, and one bolt came out normally!

Loosened all exhaust fittings and removed rear bumper. Will take the angle grinder to it tomorrow and remove the last three.

You didn't win the set of steak knives then for the full set being knackered.

I must admit, being a Porsche, I would’ve thought that they would’ve had this problem covered. That and the three bolts for the cat flanges.

Very poor. Something I would expect from my TVR!

1 hour ago, kdh said:

I’ve tried to stop the creaking with some foam behind the seats when I put the seats fully back. Driving me nuts but still happening.

Anyone got any fixes?

My buckets creak too if fully back

I agree it's F proper annoying 

I even drive around 1 click forward so I get no creaking 

What about pulling out that carpet behind the seat

If that's what's creaking then could you live without it - I think I could 

Nothing with the car, just went to the office few times last week, 50miles drive one way with different routes to enjoy a bit more.

I managed to convince a colleague and we have found a good late 2002 986 and he just purchased it. I met with 4 more colleague who has 986. I mentioned them about our forum, both hopefully they will join soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATM said:

My buckets creak too if fully back

I agree it's F proper annoying 

I even drive around 1 click forward so I get no creaking 

What about pulling out that carpet behind the seat

If that's what's creaking then could you live without it - I think I could 

Is the seat headrest rubbing on the roll bar?

3 hours ago, phazed said:

I must admit, being a Porsche, I would’ve thought that they would’ve had this problem covered. That and the three bolts for the cat flanges.

Very poor. Something I would expect from my TVR!

A TVR would do that in 5 years, not 25 years!