What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 4/26/2022 at 2:53 AM, Menoporsche said:

Welcome.  I see you have those odd rock formations on your coastline too :) 

What's that undertray? Haven't seen that before.

That’s from the PO. I’m not convinced I’m going to keep it but it’s a carbon fiber look & for now it’s not causing problems. 

Bought an Oettle bypass exhaust from ebay. Took a chance on it as it was local to me, even though it looked a bit shoddy it the photos. Spent several hours cleaning it up and amazingly it has zero splitting of the outer seams. Its also an early type exhaust with the different mounting so is akin to finding the holy grail!

Only £40!!

Fitted this morning and sound fantastic but is just too loud for my tastes which is a shame,  so the bypass exit holes in the tip are going to be restricted to make it quieter.. I must be getting old as i know a lot of people really rate the bypass mod.

Before and after pics.

ZGamjkXB.jpg

oe3U87UC.jpg

• Like 3

Checked and cleaned the plugs, fitted new plug tubes, and one new coil pack as I found a few small cracks in one.

Also cleaned up around the engine where the oil dripping from the leaky plug tubes had made a bit of a mess.

Just made the fastest improvement ever. Swapped the old intermittent wiper relay for a VW programmable one. Took me at least 2 minutes to swap over ! Not sure the new coolant header tank I need to fit tomorrow will be that quick !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 999mch said:

Just made the fastest improvement ever. Swapped the old intermittent wiper relay for a VW programmable one. Took me at least 2 minutes to swap over ! Not sure the new coolant header tank I need to fit tomorrow will be that quick !!

Sounds interesting - can you share the VW part number please?

1 hour ago, map said:

Sounds interesting - can you share the VW part number please?

No problem, these are the details http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/60548-adding-variable-intermittent-wipers-early-box-easy-way.html.    The relay is image.jpeg.a009802bd6f3d7fd3b9413e1b67f044d.jpegBasically remove your current intermittent relay, think it is number 16, next to the double relay and replace with this one. I got one of Facebook for £10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, 999mch said:

No problem, these are the details http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/60548-adding-variable-intermittent-wipers-early-box-easy-way.html.    The relay is image.jpeg.a009802bd6f3d7fd3b9413e1b67f044d.jpegBasically remove your current intermittent relay, think it is number 16, next to the double relay and replace with this one. I got one of Facebook for £10.

This is a great mod

I think it is only for 2.5/2.7 that don’t have the variable speed knob on the dash, opposite the power outlet.

7 hours ago, milner said:

Cleaned the soft top, very happy with the result. Went out this morning ready to reproof it only to find pigeon cr*p all over it. Grrrrrr

It’s well worth having a half cover, to stop this happening and also to help against colour fade.

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

This is a great mod

I think it is only for 2.5/2.7 that don’t have the variable speed knob on the dash, opposite the power outlet.

Totally agree, although some people have done it even with the variable speed knob, but not sure why you would !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 999mch said:

Totally agree, although some people have done it even with the variable speed knob, but not sure why you would !

Because the variable speed knob has stopped working?

Have exactly this problem in my car and ought to fix it.

If the VW relay is materially cheaper than a fix for the existing function I’ll go with the relay. 

• Like 1

First time poster.  Bought a 2000 2.7 a few weeks back.  Live in Cornwall so last week drove from where we live on the south coast to the north coast, has lunch in Padstow and drove home.  Heard a horrific knocking and screeching near home so investigated today.

The nearside brake disk had no screws in it!  The disc was loose and was scraping on the dust plate.  I checked the other side and they hadn't lined the disc up properly so that had 1 screw in it and the other part wasn't aligned with the screw hole!

Have ordered screws and removed the crusty anti roll bar bushes whilst I was in there and have ordered new ones.

So, although it seems that I was driving a death trap I am glad that I discovered it.  Luckily there is no damage to the discs and pads themselves.  

Will check the rears before going back on the road!

3 hours ago, Winster said:

First time poster.  Bought a 2000 2.7 a few weeks back.  Live in Cornwall so last week drove from where we live on the south coast to the north coast, has lunch in Padstow and drove home.  Heard a horrific knocking and screeching near home so investigated today.

The nearside brake disk had no screws in it!  The disc was loose and was scraping on the dust plate.  I checked the other side and they hadn't lined the disc up properly so that had 1 screw in it and the other part wasn't aligned with the screw hole!

Have ordered screws and removed the crusty anti roll bar bushes whilst I was in there and have ordered new ones.

So, although it seems that I was driving a death trap I am glad that I discovered it.  Luckily there is no damage to the discs and pads themselves.  

Will check the rears before going back on the road!

Good luck, and welcome!

I suspect the missing bolts won’t solve your problem; the wheel bolts will have held them securely in place regardless.

The noise is down to corrosion on the back of the discs catching on the shields.

I suggest removing the calipers (new bolts recommended, especially if they are hex head (replacements are Torx), clean up the back of the discs with a file, and look at bending back the shield a little.

It is likely that this catching is around the “drum” part of the disc, where the shield is hard to access to bend back without removing the disc.

If you choose (like I did) to replace the discs, shoes and pads, make sure you get the right parts; the 2.7 uses Mercedes shoes, the 3.2 uses larger Porsche items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

Good luck, and welcome!

I suspect the missing bolts won’t solve your problem; the wheel bolts will have held them securely in place regardless.

The noise is down to corrosion on the back of the discs catching on the shields.

I suggest removing the calipers (new bolts recommended, especially if they are hex head (replacements are Torx), clean up the back of the discs with a file, and look at bending back the shield a little.

It is likely that this catching is around the “drum” part of the disc, where the shield is hard to access to bend back without removing the disc.

If you choose (like I did) to replace the discs, shoes and pads, make sure you get the right parts; the 2.7 uses Mercedes shoes, the 3.2 uses larger Porsche items.

^^ this. The screws stop the discs falling off before the wheels go on and  a trapped stone or back plate corrosion can sound like the devil is screaming in your head.  

oh and welcome.   

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 2

Collected the Boxster out of storage after total hip replacement surgery and was very pleasantly surprised with the lack of left leg pain whilst driving, forgotten how much I love this car😍

• Like 3

15 years ago on this date I purchased my 986.

There have been plenty of ups and downs with it and for those that follow my thread on that journey you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Haven't stopped tweaking it and cannot imagine what “finished” would ever look like. Especially when this forum throws up changes such as programmable intermittent wiper relays, one touch indicator upgrades and the like.

Thank you to the forum owners and posters past, present and future.

1ZLfg0f.jpg
aDJwSJe.jpg

K4EeYQ0.jpg

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@map - One touch indicators:

:stickprod:

Thank you.

I have this book marked and it will be done as part of adding cruise-control which is part of the necessary work to replace the indicator stalk which has got “all emotional” about cancelling correctly.

See. Never finished. 

• Like 1

Just now, map said:

Thank you.

I have this book marked and it will be done as part of adding cruise-control which is part of the necessary work to replace the indicator stalk which has got “all emotional” about cancelling correctly.

See. Never finished. 

Done the cruise too!!  Mine is 2000 but it is more straightforward on 2001 onwards cars as no rear loom extension required to the DME.  

Freshened up the side window surrounds on the hood, the mirror mounts and the side intake louvres with Polytrol.  Nice and black again now.  Easy 10 minute job.

38 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Freshened up the side window surrounds on the hood, the mirror mounts and the side intake louvres with Polytrol.  Nice and black again now.  Easy 10 minute job.

As a matter of interest, how long does the polytrol treatment last? Just thinking about doing the bulkhead cover where the windscreen wipers are located.

1 hour ago, letsmile said:

As a matter of interest, how long does the polytrol treatment last? Just thinking about doing the bulkhead cover where the windscreen wipers are located.

Lasts a couple of years or more on the bulkhead cover , not as long on the window surrounds .Just don't get tempted to put any rubber rubber bits as I did.ooops

• Thanks 1