What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

10 hours ago, letsmile said:

As a matter of interest, how long does the polytrol treatment last? Just thinking about doing the bulkhead cover where the windscreen wipers are located.

This C4 is absolutely fantastic to restore plastic to it's original shine and the treatment lasts real long - in my case one treatment to 2001 Boxster is going now 3rd year for example on the bulkhead:

https://www.amazon.com/Gtechniq-C4-Permanent-Trim-Restorer/dp/B00IOMDVWA?th=1

Edited by pacificjuha
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Failed to remove a front droplink, bloody thing is welded in there!  Booked into the garage now.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Isn't the cure a recip saw?

Heat and lots of impact wrench working it back and forward, once you've cut the ball end off to access the 17mm hex on the rod, also only use a 6 point socket to reduce risk of burring off the hex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Isn't the cure a recip saw?

That was how I got the last bolt out for an arm, but there isn't a lot of room at the front. I even tried a torch on it. Combined with working on the ground I had just had enough, 2 hours is long enough for me to give up and all my joints were starting to hurt.

Fitted new coolant tank on Friday (in the end) what a bu**er of a job ! You had all warned me. Couldn't bleed it till i had got a new AOS vent line. £42 for a 10cm bit of bent plastic. What a bargain !  Now all back and hopefully no more issues.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:55 PM, 986T8 said:

Meridian, how’d you lube them? Squeeze grease in under the boots?

I used a syringe filled with grease, and stabbed the boot and squeezed, a small dab of glue to plug. A tip borrowed from 986forum.  It's cured the creak, until I get around to replacing the coffin arms.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Meridianmet said:

I used a syringe filled with grease, and stabbed the boot and squeezed, a small dab of glue to plug. A tip borrowed from 986forum.  It's cured the creak, until I get around to replacing the coffin arms.

I might give that a try, getting some creaks. See if I can postpone the inevitable 

1 hour ago, 986T8 said:

I might give that a try, getting some creaks. See if I can postpone the inevitable 

It's worked until I get around to replacing the arms, as there is no play in the ball joints. Just get some syringes from Amazon for a few quid.

2 hours ago, 986T8 said:

Creaks will be the coffin arm bushes where the tuning forks bolt to them.  Not a lot you can do the stop them.  The only way to a silent ride once you ahve rattles, creaks, squeaks and knocks, and it really is a transformation, is replacement of all arms, links and top mounts.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, ½cwt said:

Creaks will be the coffin arm bushes where the tuning forks bolt to them.  Not a lot you can do the stop them.  The only way to a silent ride once you ahve rattles, creaks, squeaks and knocks, and it really is a transformation, is replacement of all arms, links and top mounts.

Quire right, just have other cash commitments at the moment, so will be done ASAP. It has silence the creak for now though. 

Not today, but end of last week had a minor repair on the n/s sill, there had been some surface corrosion, also got a spare mirror cap and parking sensors painted, and had a PDR guy go around the car to take care of any little dings.

Need to find time to pop the rear bumper off and fit the sensors and camera.

41 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Not today, but end of last week had a minor repair on the n/s sill, there had been some surface corrosion, also got a spare mirror cap and parking sensors painted, and had a PDR guy go around the car to take care of any little dings.

Need to find time to pop the rear bumper off and fit the sensors and camera.

I’d be very interested to know which parking sensors you have, and if you recommend them 👍

8 minutes ago, letsmile said:

I’d be very interested to know which parking sensors you have, and if you recommend them 👍

I’m using Vodafone/Cobra R0394 sensors, we’ve got them on the Leaf and my mums Fabia.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171211211790?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MQQeddRERi6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ja1hWZp7Qj6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The appeal is that they are very discrete;

SLVPtWiK.jpg

The curved bumper on the 986 will mean I can’t use the outer OE positions, but hopefully not too far in.

I’ll post pics!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

The curved bumper on the 986 will mean I can’t use the outer OE positions, but hopefully not too far in.

I’ll post pics!

What's the issue with the curve and the outer OE positions?  Is it too much curvature for the sensors to locate and fix inside properly and so the outside face is sub-flush, or is it something else?

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

What's the issue with the curve and the outer OE positions?  Is it too much curvature for the sensors to locate and fix inside properly and so the outside face is sub-flush, or is it something else?

That’s it exactly.

I haven’t tried yet, but the mounting ring on the inside does require that the surface is pretty flat.

Where the OE outer sensors are looks to be very curved, part of the reason the OE sensors need such big surrounds.

• Thanks 1

Just mount them a bit closer together than the official bumper marks. Cobra give a min distance apart. You can also set them up on a test rig (plank of wood and car battery) to check the smaller distance doesn’t give errors. 

• Thanks 2

Passed its mot this morning. 1st time in 9 years its had a totally clean sheet with no fails or advisories.

Its always been flakey in emissions for the last 6 or 7 years. This year I chucked some Wynns Pre emissions test treatment in the tank and took it for a 50 mile high rev blast.😀

37 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

took it for a 50 mile high rev blast.😀

A few years ago my emissions were close to the mark and my mechanic said it was my fault for not driving the car much, which is fair enough. Before each test I now take her for a lively 20 mile drive and I get very clean emission readings. 

26 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

A few years ago my emissions were close to the mark and my mechanic said it was my fault for not driving the car much, which is fair enough. Before each test I now take her for a lively 20 mile drive and I get very clean emission readings. 

Yep there's definitely some benefit in it.