What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

4 hours ago, map said:

Do these burn hotter compared to standard spec lamps?

Am asking because I’ve seen a few 986 with halogens that have brown “burns” on the internal lenses. 

I have these on my 996 on dipped only and no obvious problem with heat but to be fair, I don’t use the car much in the dark. Very pleased with them as the standard bulbs are borderline dangerous compared with the LEDs on my daily driver. 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:56 PM, ½cwt said:

Yes, but currently out of stock in UK and German parts distribution

I actually try to order these today and got told by Sidcup OPC that on back order week 37 delivery to Germany (currently week 32/3). They then called me back to say Tewksbury had some in stock and when I spoke with Tewksbury, they wouldn’t post! They then explained  that 10 pairs are in the U.K. and they are being delivered to Tonbridge on Tuesday!

8 hours ago, TV8 said:

I actually try to order these today and got told by Sidcup OPC that on back order week 37 delivery to Germany (currently week 32/3). They then called me back to say Tewksbury had some in stock and when I spoke with Tewksbury, they wouldn’t post! They then explained  that 10 pairs are in the U.K. and they are being delivered to Tonbridge on Tuesday!

Damn, I'll be just down the road in Southborough today (visiting MIL), 2 days too early...  Silverstone are part of Sytner and no associated branches have any stock.  I'm not desperate for them, my standard ones are a bit tatty after 20 odd years and these 997 one are cheaper as well as an 'upgrade'.

• Like 1

Catching up a bit here....Recently I fitted an Android HU to my Saab, and bought an Incartec interface kit for it, The facia adapter came with an optional cubby for fitting single DIN units, which was, obviously, superfluous in this case. However, since I swapped the factory stereo in the 986 for a mechless unit, the CD storage was similarly redundant, so I exchanged one for the other, and now have somewhere for SWMBO to store her sunglasses in the Boxster!

Also, bought a full-sized cover for the car as the half-cover kept getting dragged off due to the turbulent airflow in our driveway. Definite improvement!

19 hours ago, map said:

Do these burn hotter compared to standard spec lamps?

Am asking because I’ve seen a few 986 with halogens that have brown “burns” on the internal lenses. 

I may be jumping to a conclusion here, but if the bulb's power rating and the method of generating the light are the same,   if anything it SHOULD run cooler, as more of the input energy is being converted to light and less to heat.
Could be wrong - you'd need to compare the output spectra. I'd imagine that more IR would cook the plastic, and more UV will accelerate ageing effects (yellowing? crazing?).
It's no use looking for properly-researched info online as opinions are anywhere on the spectrum between "tinker with the factory stuff at your mortal peril" and "Fit aircraft landing lights - it'll be fine".
I have, for example, a dim view (snort) of aftermarket LED conversions, as the engineer in me says that (a) if a reflector and lens is designed based upon exact positioning and size of the light-source, anything that deviates from that will have undesirable results in terms of distribution and (b) just adding extra light makes everyone else's life worse, as the waste light above the cutoff is also greater, increasing dazzle. (kicks soap-box back under table..)

1 hour ago, Tonecontroller said:

I have, for example, a dim view (snort) of aftermarket LED conversions, as the engineer in me says that (a) if a reflector and lens is designed based upon exact positioning and size of the light-source, anything that deviates from that will have undesirable results in terms of distribution and (b) just adding extra light makes everyone else's life worse, as the waste light above the cutoff is also greater, increasing dazzle. (kicks soap-box back under table..)

I have LED dipped beam “bulbs” in my 987 and have been impressed by the design of the conversions. The length and dimensions are the same as the original halogen bulbs. The LED design is a triangular prism and the light emitting elements are only on two sides of the triangle so you get a very clean horizontal cut off line for the beam, but you have to make sure you rotate the triangle correctly to achieve this. I’m still a bit underwhelmed by the light output of the conversion compared to the HID units on my BMW, but I think it’s due to the limitations of the projector lens design and they are certainly better than the original halogen bulbs.

7 hours ago, technics100 said:

I got mine back with a new clutch, fitted a new rear boot badge, new rear number plate and also new wheel centre caps. Also replaced the chipped drivers rear light last week too. 

9L6AysV.jpg

gZaa8dY.jpg

All these little jobs just start bringing them back from being a bit tatty. 👍

• Like 1

Hi 

I replaced the coffin arms, drop links and tuning forks on the front of the car today.

It was the drop link top fixing that hung on for dear life.

Hopefully I will attempt the rear later this week.

9R8Wpqm.jpg
D3p6n4N.jpg

B1mPz4O.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday replaced the bushes on the rear anti-roll bar. Lots of crustiness under the old bushes and they were the wrong size which makes it really satisfying to get them off and the new ones in. Very straightforward and easy to do luckily. 

Car dropped off with Paul just now for a suspension refresh. Looking forward to getting it back.

Replaced the front antirollbar droplinks, adjusted the front camber plates further to get -2,25 camber both sides at the front.

After these went for a 1,5 hours drive on sunny evening at the twisties - handling is just fabulous now and the car turns immediately to the corner as I turn the wheel regardless of the speed 😇😎

Track day planned for mid of Septeber for a better test.

Edited by pacificjuha
  • Like 1

Just when you think you solved the leaks.. 

After fitting a replacement roof and a new membrane under the clamshell I thought my wet carpet days were over. Although I have fixed both those leaks and the door membrane leaks I have found this morning that the front of the passengers side is wet. High up too. I have checked next to the battery and there is no standing water, all drains were checked a few months ago. 

Any ideas people? 

check the main seal from top of windscreen to roof.

I found pinching it helped as my slit was very hard to find, but boy was it letting water in.

If it's that, lube up your wallet - it was about £800 for that main seal some years ago !

8 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks @Patt I'll take a look. That could explain why it seems to stay dry with the half cover on. 

Criminal price for a piece of rubber! 

It's got a water channel through the middle of it and really is a special piece of extrusion....that said it still hurt as that's way less rubber than a full set of tyres !

23 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Yesterday replaced the bushes on the rear anti-roll bar. Lots of crustiness under the old bushes and they were the wrong size which makes it really satisfying to get them off and the new ones in. Very straightforward and easy to do luckily. 

When i changed mine, I found that the antiroll bar was snapped with a bodge fix all hidden by the bush. I managed to get a second hand one from ebay that still had the stickers on for £15. Certainly one of the easier jobs to do.