What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

@Glider, I also used Roadchill.co.uk for replacing air con rads, evaporator & re fill etc, he did it on my brothers drive in Knowle. Really top bloke knows his stuff. 

On 8/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, RedBarediver said:

Yesterday replaced the bushes on the rear anti-roll bar. Lots of crustiness under the old bushes and they were the wrong size which makes it really satisfying to get them off and the new ones in. Very straightforward and easy to do luckily. 

Car dropped off with Paul just now for a suspension refresh. Looking forward to getting it back.

Is that your one on Facebook that fell apart in Paul's workshop?

Picked up the car from Paul Lewis (Torque Boxster)  today. Complete front suspension refresh carried out, as well as new coil packs, tubes and plugs. All I can say is that by looking at the stuff he took out it was sorely needed...

The transformation to the way the car drives now is in a word absolutely phenomenal. Before the work was done it was okay, not great. I didn't realise how good these little cars are because mine was always working with tired suspension components. The car was built in 1997 and seems like it was always just cobbled together on a sort of "that'll do basis". I have wanted to refresh the suspension since I got the car but had lots of other things to sort out first. The same thing did wonders for my Alfa 147 and finally the man maths made sense. Dropped it off with Paul on Tuesday and he cracked on with it.

The change is just amazing. No more creakiness that I have to live with, no more wincing for every little bump in the road with the offside wheel clattering as you hit a pothole etc etc. The steering is precise and tight, the whole car feels in a sense more alive and, I guess the word I am looking for is "eager". Sort of like a hunting dog that has caught the scent of a particularly fat rabbit :)

I am taking it in for four wheel alignment at my local KwikFit tomorrow morning (they did it last time and the guy did a good job then) and then I think it may be slightly better but for now I have to say I am a very pleased customer :)

Paul did a good job and kept me informed every step of the process with lots of pictures etc. Highly recommended.

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Picked up the car from Paul Lewis (Torque Boxster)  today. Complete front suspension refresh carried out, as well as new coil packs, tubes and plugs. All I can say is that by looking at the stuff he took out it was sorely needed...

The transformation to the way the car drives now is in a word absolutely phenomenal. Before the work was done it was okay, not great. I didn't realise how good these little cars are because mine was always working with tired suspension components. The car was built in 1997 and seems like it was always just cobbled together on a sort of "that'll do basis". I have wanted to refresh the suspension since I got the car but had lots of other things to sort out first. The same thing did wonders for my Alfa 147 and finally the man maths made sense. Dropped it off with Paul on Tuesday and he cracked on with it.

The change is just amazing. No more creakiness that I have to live with, no more wincing for every little bump in the road with the offside wheel clattering as you hit a pothole etc etc. The steering is precise and tight, the whole car feels in a sense more alive and, I guess the word I am looking for is "eager". Sort of like a hunting dog that has caught the scent of a particularly fat rabbit :)

I am taking it in for four wheel alignment at my local KwikFit tomorrow morning (they did it last time and the guy did a good job then) and then I think it may be slightly better but for now I have to say I am a very pleased customer :)

Paul did a good job and kept me informed every step of the process with lots of pictures etc. Highly recommended.

There was some interesting pictures. I am surprised them coil packs actually worked! That tuning fork also looked a bit funky. Top Job. 🤙🏻

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

There was some interesting pictures. I am surprised them coil packs actually worked! That tuning fork also looked a bit funky. Top Job. 🤙🏻

The pictures tell the story way better than me. I'll put a link to them in the thread so everyone can see exactly how tired that suspension was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skullandbiscuits said:

What’s the best DIY tool to remove the spark plug tubes?

Lot of people use an expansion plug. See link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204342999106?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NUXyeWXXRQ2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

The pictures tell the story way better than me. I'll put a link to them in the thread so everyone can see exactly how tired that suspension was.

As promised. Great selection of photos showing the progress of the work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YRyAbdibVYfLebkG9

8 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

As promised. Great selection of photos showing the progress of the work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YRyAbdibVYfLebkG9

Nice.  Only the one helicol too!  The inner and outer arms made a huge difference to my steering even after doing all the rest of the suspension.  It will feel even better when tracked up properly.

Now for the rear to put the cherry on top!.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

He is a very helpful person and has a useful group on Facebook. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Nice.  Only the one helicoil too!  The inner and outer arms made a huge difference to my steering even after doing all the rest of the suspension.  It will feel even better when tracked up properly.

Now for the rear to put the cherry on top!.

Yes, I have had the alignment checked and adjusted this morning. The car tracked straight and drove really well yesterday but the steering wheel was slightly to the left. This has now been rectified but they couldn't get the left front and right rear camber perfect. Everything else is in the green. I'll take it to Precision Porsche and let them have a go - maybe once I've sorted the rear. For the moment I have to start replenishing the Porsche fund...

I also managed to get an almost new front undertray from Douglas Valley Breakers (for £25!) and the fittings from Design 911 should be here today so I can fit the undertray this weekend :)

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Yes, I have had the alignment checked and adjusted this morning. The car tracked straight and drove really well yesterday but the steering wheel was slightly to the left. This has now been rectified but they couldn't get the left front and right rear camber perfect. Everything else is in the green. I'll take it to Precision Porsche and let them have a go - maybe once I've sorted the rear. For the moment I have to start replenishing the Porsche fund...

I also managed to get an almost new front undertray from Douglas Valley Breakers (for £25!) and the fittings from Design 911 should be here today so I can fit the undertray this weekend :)

The rear tracking can be a pain until you realise that bringing the camber (reducing camber angle) in pushes the track out adding toe-out and vice-versa.  It was necessary to reduce the rear camber both sides just a fraction to get my rear tracking spot on on the toe link adjustments.

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The rear tracking can be a pain until you realise that bringing the camber (reducing camber angle) in pushes the track out adding toe-out and vice-versa.  It was necessary to reduce the rear camber both sides just a fraction to get my rear tracking spot on on the toe link adjustments.

I think the issue is that probably the guy at KwikFit doesn't know, or couldn't be asked. I'll take it to the experts. The whole front is new so they should be able to get it perfect. The other consideration is that the rear bolts may be seized so can't adjust properly. 

On 8/31/2023 at 1:25 PM, Fat Rat said:

Is that your one on Facebook that fell apart in Paul's workshop?

Ha ha just saw this. I don't know about falling apart but Paul did an awful amount of work on the front and some of those bits were ready to fall of on their own I think...

I'm glad to report that I had to take the long way around to get beer for the weekend (turned into a spirited little drive) and the car is absolutely sublime now. I'm already thinking up excuses to drive somewhere (preferably far and with lots of little twisties) this weekend

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Ha ha just saw this. I don't know about falling apart but Paul did an awful amount of work on the front and some of those bits were ready to fall of on their own I think...

I'm glad to report that I had to take the long way around to get beer for the weekend (turned into a spirited little drive) and the car is absolutely sublime now. I'm already thinking up excuses to drive somewhere (preferably far and with lots of little twisties) this weekend

Told you it was transformational.

• Like 1

Hi,

Not today, but yesterday finished replacing the coffin arm, track rod, tuning fork and drop link on one rear corner (hopefully finish the other corner during the week)

Od2srrq.jpg

Can anyone recommend 4 wheel alignment ideally near Andover in Hampshire.

Many thanks.

• Like 3

Not today but car got a nice fresh MOT on Tuesday after I finally finished the front suspension refresh with a couple of very minor advisories.

Tester said you’ve had a lot of work done on this haven’t you.   Gave me a very warm glow inside. 
Coolant flush and replace this morning and hopefully a good long drive to celebrate 

Reskinned a cabbie lid and knee pads yesterday and fitted today. 🤙🏻

Bought some nice greens ones from a breaker as donors.

CGG

Also fitted modified and recovered steering wheel. Very happy with the overall outcome. 🤙🏻

WW

Not everyone’s cup of tea. But I like it. I have all the original bits to put back if required. 🤙🏻

2 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Reskinned a cabbie lid and knee pads yesterday and fitted today. 🤙🏻

Bought some nice greens ones from a breaker as donors.

CGG

Also fitted modified and recovered steering wheel. Very happy with the overall outcome. 🤙🏻

WW

Not everyone’s cup of tea. But I like it. I have all the original bits to put back if required. 🤙🏻

Apologies if I missed it, where did you get the leather kit from?

On 11/4/2016 at 12:04 AM, Blackadder30 said:

https://imgur.com/a/PbKCnkK

Had to pull over at a petrol station a short while ago to capture the moment Voyager 3 crossed over into the interstellar void. 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand
Quoted a very old post by mistake. How do I delete the quote?