What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Started doing AOS replacement.  Then the long reach hose clip pliers broke.  They are now on their way back to the Amazon supplier along with a 1* review posted for the time.  Put all the hoses back on the old one and I've decided to let Dove House do it when it is serviced in December.  The old one is giving the occasional reedy whistle so nothing major at the moment.

So spent some time working on The Better ½'s recently acquired car instead.  3 different tyre brands and even the two that match are half a lifetime apart in wear/age...

32 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Started doing AOS replacement.  Then the long reach hose clip pliers broke.  They are now on their way back to the Amazon supplier along with a 1* review posted for the time.  Put all the hoses back on the old one and I've decided to let Dove House do it when it is serviced in December.  The old one is giving the occasional reedy whistle so nothing major at the moment.

So spent some time working on The Better ½'s recently acquired car instead.  3 different tyre brands and even the two that match are half a lifetime apart in wear/age...

Well that doesn't fill me with confidence. I've been waiting for you to replace your AOS before tackling mine. Hoped I'd learn from you and your posts about it. Well I have - outsource it! Which long reach hose clip pliers failed? 

7 hours ago, Boxob said:

Well that doesn't fill me with confidence. I've been waiting for you to replace your AOS before tackling mine. Hoped I'd learn from you and your posts about it. Well I have - outsource it! Which long reach hose clip pliers failed? 

I might come back to it, but I have  a lot on with work over the next 8 weeks with a project in Czech Republic.  Looking at the job, working from above and below and reaching into the wheel arch and then getting the wheel off but supporting the car at a height to still be able to reach into the engine bay, I can sense a lot of frustration and when the tool broke I called quits.  I don't usually give up, but to then get another tool etc.... plus the hassle of getting the engine covers off I figured Dove House will do it in about 30 mins max and it should only take that long on paper (or in a YT vid).

US Pro was the brand.  They are the type on sale from around £17 to £25 is on eBay/Amazon.  I could get another pair but I'm £2.89 down on the return shipping and you know the saying about good money after bad!

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I might come back to it, but I have  a lot on with work over the next 8 weeks with a project in Czech Republic.  Looking at the job, working from above and below and reaching into the wheel arch and then getting the wheel off but supporting the car at a height to still be able to reach into the engine bay, I can sense a lot of frustration and when the tool broke I called quits.  I don't usually give up, but to then get another tool etc.... plus the hassle of getting the engine covers off I figured Dove House will do it in about 30 mins max and it should only take that long on paper (or in a YT vid).

US Pro was the brand.  They are the type on sale from around £17 to £25 is on eBay/Amazon.  I could get another pair but I'm £2.89 down on the return shipping and you know the saying about good money after bad!

Chris I have had them when a good yank on the canister has pulled it clear leaving one end of the pipe in place, thus allowing you to remove the naughty clip and pipe  and installing replace with a jubilee clip

41 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Chris I have had them when a good yank on the canister has pulled it clear leaving one end of the pipe in place, thus allowing you to remove the naughty clip and pipe  and installing replace with a jubilee clip

I suspect I was just not 'feeling' it on what should have been a straight forward job, but having pinched my hand in the pliers as they failed and that was only really testing them on the flexi hose that crosses with the hose from the AOS back to the intake.  I was also struggling to get the hose off that's half way down the AOS, I couldn't get round it to pinch the connecter and work it to release it. 

I'll park this one and focus on the next job which is adding door speakers (mine is very much poverty spec) which is a 'fun' job with a pair of replacement door cards and speaker housings I've got coming from Douglas Valley.  Need to confirm the best what to wire up the speakers to the head unit as I'm not planning on using an amp, will probably include doubling the speakers in the rear storage box to maintain same impedance on both speaker circuits.  Also got to work out how to wire in the door lights in these new cards, I need to find junction point 73 in the wring loom which I believe is somewhere under the passenger seat that links into the interior light wiring.

Out yesterday my car was giving a single beep every time I locked and alarmed it with the fob...although curiously not when I locked with the key in the door.

15 minutes trial and error and I traced it the centre console latch not identifying the latch as closed.

My neighbours will be please it but no longer beeps...

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Adding door speakers reputedly quite a wiring challenge. 

That I am up for.  Patience going through the boots connecting the door to the car.  Got the door light wiring to get through too.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Regarding those squeezy pipe fitting joints , I use mole grips on a light pinch then tug!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Regarding those squeezy pipe fitting joints , I use mole grips on a light pinch then tug!

I got the one off the top to the intake off OK at both ends.

Maybe I'll come back to it when I'm more on the mood, just torn on buying another tool.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:59 PM, ½cwt said:

I got the one off the top to the intake off OK at both ends.

Maybe I'll come back to it when I'm more on the mood, just torn on buying another tool.

I found the hose half way down was easier to get to when the two retaining bolts were removed, allowing a bit more wiggle room. I also managed to release the bottom hose with a good yank, having given it a spray of WD40 first to lubricant.

Good question, drove down to Basel Monday, stayed over night, then headed to Davos, and then onward to Stelvio. So up the steep side and down the more gradual gradient. Definitely an experience, but the road ‘up’ is no drivers road in my opinion. Look’’s great in a magazine, but……

Delighted to have done it in my 23yo 986. 

Just waiting for my wife to fly down for dinner(!) so I’ll have to look up road numbers etc later. But I’d definitely say, go up from the Swiss side and down into Italy. 

8 minutes ago, allatsea said:

Good question, drove down to Basel Monday, stayed over night, then headed to Davos, and then onward to Stelvio. So up the steep side and down the more gradual gradient. Definitely an experience, but the road ‘up’ is no drivers road in my opinion. Look’’s great in a magazine, but……

Delighted to have done it in my 23yo 986. 

Just waiting for my wife to fly down for dinner(!) so I’ll have to look up road numbers etc later. But I’d definitely say, go up from the Swiss side and down into Italy. 

I've down it too and agree Stelvio is bucket list if only for the photo. The driving is congested and not really a good flow. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

I've down it too and agree Stelvio is bucket list if only for the photo. The driving is congested and not really a good flow. 

Bit of a case of don't meet your heroes?

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Bit of a case of don't meet your heroes?

As a driving road it is rubbish. That was 10 or so years ago and there are lots of better roads anywhere along the Alps range. 

Yep and no beep on your alarm either - Porsche don;t want to annoy their owners.

So they ensure other things will 😆 , oh and don't learn from their mistakes so the same faults can be found in models 20 years on...

After discovering a few dents in the rear boot of my 986 S, caused by closing the lid on "something" inside, I decided to add protection against further damage. This took the form of 1/4" thick felt velcroed to the lid recesses ...

1.jpg

The dents were repaired by a paintless dent remover.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edited by DeeCee

On 9/24/2023 at 11:28 AM, Menoporsche said:

Adding door speakers reputedly quite a wiring challenge. 

I've worked out that second hand complete door looms with the necessary speaker and door light wiring are only about £20 each.  Seems a low friction solution if a bit fiddly pulling out and refitting wiring.  Only got to trace back from inside the multi plug on the A pilar into the car now.

Also just ordered a pair of Pioneer TS G1331i speakers as they are the bigger bothers of the dash speakers I fitted a while back.  Got to work out wiring in series (results in 8Ω impedance) or parallel (2Ω), and then what to do to balance with the rear pair I fitted in the rear storage tray (some rubbish one with wrong impedance), I'm thinking a second pair of 4Ω also in series with each other (Alpine SXE 0825) to give 8Ω on both circuits.  Anyone know any better?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Doubtless a How To would be Very much appreciated. Good luck!

It may be a while.  I think I've got the  two looms for a mere £20 (!), but I've asked Richard Hamilton a couple of questions about plug pin outs that I can't work out from the wiring diagrams I have and the location of a node I need to pick up on for the door lights that is linked to the interior lights inside the car....

I’ve been here so long and don’t think I can remember anyone doing it, and certainly not repeatedly. So presumably there’s a challenge. I hope your idea of used looms is a good one, might not have been a supply of them 10 years ago. I think others looked at how to thread the wires through the doors and gave up.