What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

I may have one that’s been powder coated yellow, do you know what size your standard front is?

Front is 23.5mm. It is a 2000 S with I029 standard suspension.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Used the car roof up for a short journey this morning, all squeaking gone!. Good diagnosis @TROOPER88.

Only problem, like after doing the suspension it is quieter so I need to recalibrate my noise vs speed feedback loop.

Great news 👍🏻

Took off the center section of trim from the rollbar complete with the perspex panel above and fitted a GoPro clamp in the center which seems really secure. Due for a test tomorrow if it isn’t raining.

Top mount bearings and rack hard lines arrived today. Just need time and weather to fit them, along with the work I've got to do on our extension...

All very doable. 👍

Taking a rest from the last six months of fiddling on my 986.

It seemed to put up with being driven flat out at Donington so will remain in the garage until Wednesday week when it will be let loose at Brands Hatch, [apart from a little test with a GoPro mount around the local lanes).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ditchvisitor said:

Continued stripping it after binning it in a big way at Thruxton on Saturday!!!

Do tell more. Thruxton seems like such a safe track.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, phazed said:

Took off the center section of trim from the rollbar complete with the perspex panel above and fitted a GoPro clamp in the center which seems really secure. Due for a test tomorrow if it isn’t raining.

I'd be interested in the results because I cannot get any decent mount to fit between the seats (I like that view, don't want the camera any further forward). My 987 looks like there might be a piece of trim that could come off and uncover a big metal bar which might allow something to fit...

30 minutes ago, phazed said:

Unfortunately I stupidly dropped a wheel on the grass coming out of Church at well over 100, I ended up spinning backwards into the Armco at about 100, not advised. 

Edited by ditchvisitor
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, phazed said:

Scarily fast place if you think about where you could lose it! 😱

That said I do remember really enjoying going through Church committing my Legacy Turbo to the apex at near 100mph but using a point 2 or 3 meters inside the apex as the clipping aiming point when turning in to compensate for the drift.  Amazing place.

22 minutes ago, ditchvisitor said:

Unfortunately I stupidly dropped a wheel on the grass coming out of Church at well over 100, I ended up spinning backwards into the Armco at about 100, not advised. 

That is a big impact speed. Are you ok? 

58 minutes ago, nelmo said:

I'd be interested in the results because I cannot get any decent mount to fit between the seats (I like that view, don't want the camera any further forward). My 987 looks like there might be a piece of trim that could come off and uncover a big metal bar which might allow something to fit...

Will take a photo tomorrow.

38 minutes ago, ditchvisitor said:

Yes. Fast section of track. You were very lucky! Sad for the car but at least you’ll be out there another day.

Had a near side c/v joint semi seize on my TD Skoda 2 years ago at about 100 at that spot. Nearly pulled the steering wheel from my hands but luckily was on the right side of the track when it pulled left with plenty of track width available.

A fast track but the surface isn’t that great.

7 hours ago, nelmo said:

I have now used the GoPRo on the same location with the padding in place, just the plexi wind deflector removed for the track day.

The install lof the GoPro works real well in the above manner with a GoPro 'wrist loop' - meant to attach the GoPro with a starp around user's wrist.

13 hours ago, ditchvisitor said:

Not too bad thanks, neck and back aren’t great! Physio booked for tomorrow. 

That is very fortunate!

17 hours ago, nelmo said:

I'd be interested in the results because I cannot get any decent mount to fit between the seats (I like that view, don't want the camera any further forward). My 987 looks like there might be a piece of trim that could come off and uncover a big metal bar which might allow something to 

3p84MKr.jpeg

just been for a spin and just looking at the video on my phone. It seems fine but will transfer it so I can see it on my PC later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phazed said:

3p84MKr.jpeg

just been for a spin and just looking at the video on my phone. It seems fine but will transfer it so I can see it on my PC later.

Recorded a test few minutes with an old GoPro Hero3+. No stabilisation feature but considering the state of our local lanes, not bad. Good enough for a few track days.

What its done to me.  Found wet carpet on either side of the tunnel below the dash... 🤬

That's one holiday weekend job planned for me then. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ½cwt

On 5/19/2024 at 7:33 PM, ½cwt said:

Also whilst visiting Paul he gave me two rubber bushes for one of the pivots on the hood mechanism which will hopefully stop an annoying squeak/rattle when the roof is up.  Fitted them this afternoon with a dab of rubber grease as insurance.  Weather is just too good to do a roof up test drive today though!

Hi

I have an annoying roof squeak , have you details of the bushes used

Thanks Mark

43 minutes ago, smit572 said:

Hi

I have an annoying roof squeak , have you details of the bushes used

Thanks Mark

You'll need two of these: 986 561 881 00.  I'm going to take some pictures showing the work and post them this weekend.

As you are in Northampton, the cheapest source will be to collect from Silverstone Porsche, they are small but still about £5 each!.  Even the after market ones from Design 911 will work out more expensive after delivery costs.