What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Wow, that is damaged!

I will give you 200 pounds for the engine!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You'll need two of these: 986 561 881 00.  I'm going to take some pictures showing the work and post them this weekend.

As you are in Northampton, the cheapest source will be to collect from Silverstone Porsche, they are small but still about £5 each!.  Even the after market ones from Design 911 will work out more expensive after delivery costs.

That's great , many thanks for your help

1 hour ago, ditchvisitor said:

Fortunately the engine is still all good - it’s a 330bhp Hartech built unit! 

What is the capacity and spec to achieve this power?  Fascinated to know if you can share the detail.

Thanks

map

@ditchvisitor, sorry about the crash, but the car did its job protecting you - look forward to seeing it being reincarnated.

Understand you've found a replacement shell. I'm probably not alone in wanting to see a build thread!

Can you tell us more about the engine?

12 minutes ago, ditchvisitor said:

I don’t know the full engine spec to be honest, I bought it with the engine in it - goes like stink! I know it’s got cams, GT3 plenum, lightweight flywheel etc and was built by Hartech.

Any idea what capacity it is?

What airbox / filtration system is it running?

AIUI, the stock 986 bottlenecks even a stock 986 S!

I'd hazard a guess at a 3.7.

9 hours ago, ditchvisitor said:

8AdsgVZ.jpeg

I didn’t appreciate that your car was so well equipped with cages etc. I was shocked to see casual references to 100 mph impact speed and pleased you walked away relatively unscathed. I can now see why you did!
Is that a Boxster cup car (or whatever they call it) this is in the race series?

14 hours ago, smit572 said:

Hi

I have an annoying roof squeak , have you details of the bushes used

Thanks Mark

Hold fire.  Went for a longer driver over some rougher back roads, squeaking is back...

On 5/21/2024 at 11:44 AM, ½cwt said:

Used the car roof up for a short journey this morning, all squeaking gone!. Good diagnosis @TROOPER88.

Only problem, like after doing the suspension it is quieter so I need to recalibrate my noise vs speed feedback loop.

Went on another roof up driver this afternoon, squeaking is as bad as before I fitted the bush rubbers, must have been smooth roads on the last drive....

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

I didn’t appreciate that your car was so well equipped with cages etc. I was shocked to see casual references to 100 mph impact speed and pleased you walked away relatively unscathed. I can now see why you did!
Is that a Boxster cup car (or whatever they call it) this is in the race series?

Yes fortunately it has a proper custom cage in it! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ditchvisitor said:

Yes fortunately it has a proper custom cage in it! 

Is your rebuild going to include a similar cage and a return to racing?

Oil and filter change. Also fitted the upgraded oil pressure piston and spring. Worth doing in my eyes as a little wear on the piston and the old spring was about 5mm shorter. I guess after 20 years of being compressed. I had picked up on the forum about changing the filter housing every now and then due to a relief valve at the bottom. Checked and it is dated 03, so I will change on my next oil change. Little things please little minds and I was pleased that my replacement plastic nuts on the under cover came off and refitted without an issue. 😬. Looking at the old filter, all looks good. I will cut it open tomorrow. Also letting the oil settle in the pan before tipping out to see if there are any shiny bits.

Then went for a blast and all good. I love this car. 😍

• Like 1

Installed the console delete kit today. 3D printed by an outfit in Romania. The first one they sent broke in the mail so they reprinted and sent a replacement at no charge to me. Easy to install and looks good. I'll eventually cover it with some black carpet but I'm a convert now after having experienced the improved legroom.

99A32383-EDE7-4A36-ABFD-0317240C71D8 91A0F1EF-3159-46CF-B284-C652F49ACA1C 61501EC6-F186-47FB-B277-8B4085214712 DBFBC858-39EB-447B-AF52-41424A5F871A

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Installed the console delete kit today. 3D printed by an outfit in Romania. The first one they sent broke in the mail so they reprinted and sent a replacement at no charge to me. Easy to install and looks good. I'll eventually cover it with some black carpet but I'm a convert now after having experienced the improved legroom.

99A32383-EDE7-4A36-ABFD-0317240C71D8 91A0F1EF-3159-46CF-B284-C652F49ACA1C 61501EC6-F186-47FB-B277-8B4085214712 DBFBC858-39EB-447B-AF52-41424A5F871A

Decent, looks great. What’s quality like? Having fitted them to both my GT3’s they are very much worth it. Price from OPC now is utterly ridiculous 

9 hours ago, ditchvisitor said:

Decent, looks great. What’s quality like? Having fitted them to both my GT3’s they are very much worth it. Price from OPC now is utterly ridiculous 

Quality seems good - although it's early days yet. I took it out for a drive today and it seems to sit nice and snug and fits together well. Total cost delivered was about £70. The guys are also going to make some improvements to the design to make it a little stronger.

I looked at ones from Porsche but the cost is just silly.

Edited by RedBarediver

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Quality seems good - although it's early days yet. I took it out for a drive today and it seems to sit nice and snug and fits together well. Total cost delivered was about £70. The guys are also going to make some improvements to the design to make it a little stronger.

I looked at ones from Porsche but the cost is just silly.

Sure is, think I paid just under £400 for mine and it’s double that now!!

• Like 1