What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Dismantled the front suspension, found 2 broken springs, 2 knackered coffin arms, bump stops disintegrated, top mount bush welded itself to shocker shaft, brake line snapped on moving the caliper.

Fantastic progress. Who's the go to supplier for suspension arms these days? Used Spyder Performance years ago and was happy enough.

Edited by plynchy

I used a combination of design 911 and Spyder for all my suspension bits, there's a list somewhere on the site that someone made with all the required parts, admittedly for a 986. You can get certain bits from Autodoc if you can be bothered to faff around with their daft fluctuating prices for some potential savings. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, plynchy said:

Dismantled the front suspension, found 2 broken springs, 2 knackered coffin arms, bump stops disintegrated, top mount bush welded itself to shocker shaft, brake line snapped on moving the caliper.

Damn you and your two-car families. I was reading that on the other thread, thinking wow his GT4 has had a hard life…

• Haha 2

Noting the offside of of the hood wasn’t seating in its channels, I read up extensively on BoXa, Rennlist, 986forum etc on moving the shoelace on a notch and what to do if the shoelace has broken etc etc.

Then I read on this very forum an old post where someone reattached a couple of the Velcro straps that looked off. So establishing the shoelace had not snapped I noted the velcro looked off so reattached them and hey presto. Took 10 mins.

Also used the aircon for the first time today (I couldn’t afford it as a new option on my first one). As good a blast of cold air as I’ve ever had. 

This car is being very kind to me.

Wonder when it’ll throw a chain. 

1 hour ago, plynchy said:

Fantastic progress. Who's the go to supplier for suspension arms these days? Used Spyder Performance years ago and was happy enough.

Spyder for coffin arms, TRW for tuning forks if you can get them (Autodoc and CP4L sometimes).  Sachs for top mounts.  I got my short brake lines from Porsche even though I made up the rest of the hard lines myself, you just know they will fit and they have new spring clips at either ends as they can be quite rusty.  About £20 each.  Try Type911 for H&K springs, sometimes have a BoXa discount ( @T911UK ??) Dampers is a choice of Bilstein B4 (for X029 suspension) or Koni Special Active, can't see Bilsteins for M030 sports suspension at the moment, but the Konis cover both options.  I fitted Koni back in 2020 and they are good but I've not been able to back to back test with a B4 equipped car for comparison.

• Like 3

In case you want to upgrade to Polybushes, they don’t fit Spyder arms as Spyder use a smaller than standard bush.

I fitted lower Bilstein B6’s, an alternative…

• Like 1

Had the sound of a snapping belt followed by a few seconds of slapping on the drive to work this morning.  I was a third of the way to work so even if I turned around I wouldn't make it home.  Everything seemed ok so I pressed on carefully.  Got to work OK (30+ miles) and found that the belt was very fraide and not in good shape.   I had been hearing a few noises, a bit of a tap and whirring when turning off coming from passengers side.  All the pulleys etc seem fine but I did notice a piece of insulation hanging down right near the top of the belt, that had a sharp edge to it.  I am hoping it was this knocking into the belt and causing it to break.  For a belt that was less than two years and 3000 mies old it was very cracked.

Most probably a cheap pattern part. Belts should last for years.

15 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I believe Continental is the OE supplier.

This is what I have replaced it with.

On another note, I have a replacement bonnet coming today, works out cheaper than painting.   Has anyone tried to remove a bonnet on their own or is it a two person job?

14 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

This is what I have replaced it with.

On another note, I have a replacement bonnet coming today, works out cheaper than painting.   Has anyone tried to remove a bonnet on their own or is it a two person job?

I would suggest getting someone to help you install it. You don't want to scratch or dent the replacement.

I replaced the left hand hinge on mine and whilst it was easy enough to do, I couldn't hold the bonnet up, fit the hinge, install the bolts and tighten it down with only two hands. I had the mrs hold the bonnet whilst I swopped the hinge over. I also used electrical tape on the bonnet to ensure it goes on and stays exactly the same orientation as it was before I took off the hinge.

• Like 1

Fresh mot and straight through with no advisors...not bad for a 25 year old. Bizarrely last year it had an advisory for a severely deteriorated ball joint boot...must have healed itself!

• Haha 1

Crappy brake lines removed, took some doing, and a vice, and a blow torch, again.

New section made up by my local Motor Factors, been using them for decades, £5. The pre made pipe that runs L to R along the steering rack is somewhere in the region of £130 from Porsche, and you couldn't thread it in there without removing all sorts of things to gain access.

All parts now sourced to rebuild front end on Friday hopefully. 

Edited by plynchy
  • Like 2

Put my 986 on the trailer and drove to Brands for a track day tomorrow.

Hope all stays together 🙃

• Like 3

16 hours ago, phazed said:

Put my 986 on the trailer and drove to Brands for a track day tomorrow.

Hope all stays together 🙃

Good luck! New tyres on yet or one more day out of the existing ones?

6 hours ago, brillomaster said:

Good luck! New tyres on yet or one more day out of the existing ones?

One last day! Ordering new this week. What, I haven't made my mind up yet!

Car went faultlessly till about 4pm when the flange joint inbetween a cat pipe and the exhaust manifold came unbolted. The manifolds were supplied with Nyloc nuts, (so stupid) and I was going to replace them but forgot!

It was a TVR car club TD so wizzing around all that machinery was brilliant. There was also 4 or 5 Tuscan challenge cars there dicing with each other in the afternoon, so fast!

6 minutes ago, phazed said:

It was a TVR car club TD so wizzing around all that machinery was brilliant.

How did it compare with the Griffs and Chims?

10 hours ago, TV8 said:

How did it compare with the Griffs and Chims?

Pretty much a little quicker than those. No complaints about the handling, ergonomics and general performance of this 986 although I generally could do with another 100 BHP! Gearing is too road biased. Feels absolutely fine on the road, but you really need a close ratio gearbox. I pretty much did the whole track in third and fourth gear.

here is a quick clip. I downloaded where I am following Stuart, MK1fan in his Tamora for a while and then amongst others.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phazed said:

I downloaded where I am following Stuart, MK1fan in his Tamora

I forget he has that. Was the Tamora running ok? There was a T350 that flew past you and he didnt pull away as I would expect on the straights. 

Annoyingly, I could have made the afternoon in the end. The meeting I had cancelled and I completely forgot it was on or would have popped up.

14 minutes ago, phazed said:

although I generally could do with another 100 BHP

You know what you are going to do :)

The Tamora was running fine. It is a little faster on the straights definitely. We reckon it is probably about 300 BHP which would make sense given its straight line performance.

55 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just remember: Going fast costs money.  How fast do you want to go??

Very!