What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Finally had a chance to investigate the source of drips under the dash after running with the a/c running hard today. 

First checked in the scuttle and cabin air filter housing, all dry.  Took the tray off under the passenger side of dash and found more evidence of water.  Took off the two side carpet trims (damp in places), separated the carpet over the tunnel by undoing the two Velcro strips to peel back the carpet.  Traced the drain from the heater housing and squeezed teh flexi bit just as it comes out of the housing and her water slosh.  Traced drain to the floor pan and pulled it out of its grommet; no moisture in the end.  Blew hard up it and then quickly plugged it back in where it promptly drained under the car.  So it turned out to be the drain from the heater matrix housing being blocked and collecting condensation which then over flowed and dripped on driver and passenger feet. 

Temporary fix but at least I know where to look next time I get drips on my feet and I'll get in there properly some time to clean it.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 2

On a down side, during teh drive today, teh car tooted twice on unlock. (Not had that before!) and when it was running the red light on the door lock switch was on and didn't go off by pressing it.  Got home, double toot on lock and the car unlocked itself when last door closed was passenger side.  Went round the car, opened and closed driver's door, locked fine.  Suspect I've got a microswitch starting to stick intermittently in one of the door lock modules... 

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

On a down side, during teh drive today, teh car tooted twice on unlock. (Not had that before!) and when it was running the red light on the door lock switch was on and didn't go off by pressing it.  Got home, double toot on lock and the car unlocked itself when last door closed was passenger side.  Went round the car, opened and closed driver's door, locked fine.  Suspect I've got a microswitch starting to stick intermittently in one of the door lock modules... 

Yeah, I get this, no toot but often when I am driving along I hear the locks going.  I have a faulty door actuators on both sides.  Drivers one fixed by cable tying it into a working position (plug or wiring issue)  Passengers side has not been investigated yet. Unfortunately, mine uses the very early 8 pin actuators which are hard to find so it probably means two OEM ones from Porsche but I am not ready to drop that kind of money yet.  

Edited by Daboy3000

Check the same part number price at a Audi parts department that are shared with a Mk 1 TT cabrio or possibly some other VAG convertible or coupé.

My old Range Rover P38 used to have locks that chattered when the sun came out and the cabin warmed up! You could stop it just by locking the door on the inside. Never did get around to doing the switches and now it’s gone!

• Haha 1

Took the car to Zuffenhaus Porsche for coding after my bank holiday 4-stalk upgrade adding cruise and OBC.

I got a partial result !

They did the coding for free as a regular customer, for which i was extremely grateful.

The OBC worked perfectly.

The green cruise control light illuminated on start-up, which it never had before, but would not illuminate whilst driving, and so the cruise is not working.

My mind was immediately drawn to that wire down in the fuse box, on which i used a scotch lock instead of soldering as everyone advised !

I guess this shows that it is coded (as i would not have had the lamp illuminate on ignition) and that i need to open up that fuse box again and do it properly ?!

I know what i will be doing this weekend !

On 6/19/2024 at 7:59 PM, ½cwt said:

Supposedly passenger door lock microswitch goes first from next to no use. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 7:56 PM, ½cwt said:

Finally had a chance to investigate the source of drips under the dash after running with the a/c running hard today. 

First checked in the scuttle and cabin air filter housing, all dry.  Took the tray off under the passenger side of dash and found more evidence of water.  Took off the two side carpet trims (damp in places), separated the carpet over the tunnel by undoing the two Velcro strips to peel back the carpet.  Traced the drain from the heater housing and squeezed teh flexi bit just as it comes out of the housing and her water slosh.  Traced drain to the floor pan and pulled it out of its grommet; no moisture in the end.  Blew hard up it and then quickly plugged it back in where it promptly drained under the car.  So it turned out to be the drain from the heater matrix housing being blocked and collecting condensation which then over flowed and dripped on driver and passenger feet. 

Temporary fix but at least I know where to look next time I get drips on my feet and I'll get in there properly some time to clean it.

Any pics of this? Sounds like an interesting fault find. 

On 6/19/2024 at 6:56 PM, ½cwt said:

I think you mean the drain from the AC evaporator??

The heater matrix does not have a drain. 

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

I think you mean the drain from the AC evaporator??

The heater matrix does not have a drain. 

Indeed you are correct.

2 hours ago, edc said:

Any pics of this? Sounds like an interesting fault find. 

Er.. no. I've pout it all back together and I'm not taking it apart again unless essential... 

I'll take a picture and mark it up showing where this drain is once you move the carpet.

Swapped both, inner and outer, tierod ends and did a fresh full alignment. Handles again better than before
😎

Last weekend track day at Porsche Ring Pärnu did mess rear alignment slightly, but now that is also sorted - ready for next trackday.

wWEJ6uK.jpg

6VNJig8.jpg

gPMxujy.jpg

2 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Swapped both, inner and outer, tierod ends and did a fresh full alignment. Handles again better than before
😎

Last weekend track day at Porsche Ring Pärnu did mess rear alignment slightly, but now that is also sorted - ready for next trackday.

wWEJ6uK.jpg

6VNJig8.jpg

gPMxujy.jpg

Changed mine a while ago and even though there was no obvious play in the joints it certainly improved the steering feel by replacing 110k mile old joints.

• Like 1

Washed and waxed the car and waterproofed the hood. Used the autoglym kit for the hood which isn’t described as the best performing despite being dearer - but I could get it at short notice.  

Went for a little drive yesterday morning and ended up at The Owl on the Horsham Road. Several Boxsters there although many had left already.. Anyone from here?

48 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Got my first lift off oversteer, around an Alpine hairpin.

SWMBO still hasn't forgiven me 6 hours later...

Based on the fact you are writing it on here, your reactions must still be OK to have caught it...

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Based on the fact you are writing it on here, your reactions must still be OK to have caught it...

Absolute luck

and I was on the inside on an uphill hairpin..

no skill on my part...  just additional ruche leather 

Edited by greenman986s

2 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Absolute luck

and I was on the inside on an uphill hairpin..

no skill on my part...  just additional ruche leather 

Sometimes better to be lucky than good 😉

• Like 1

Drove to work with the roof down, decided whilst the MPG is not great the GPM (Grin per Mile) was very good. Hope everybody is enjoying the sunny weather 😎

1 hour ago, 999mch said:

Drove to work with the roof down, decided whilst the MPG is not great the GPM (Grin per Mile) was very good. Hope everybody is enjoying the sunny weather 😎

Try a  3.2, MPG is even worse, GPM a little better...

Dunno, recon it’s pretty good considering it’s a 3.2l na engine - regularly see over 30mpg in mine , guess it helps that they are fairly light and pretty aero 

Not today, but earlier this week I finally got round to improving the throttle pedal wobble/lateral play. It’s a bit of a faff taking it apart and putting it back together but a tiny screw has eliminated most of the play at a fraction of the cost of a fancy brass bushing.