What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

I've been getting more random double beeps when locking the car and can't track down which side is causing the error so I've rolled the dice with a Audi/VAG breaker to get a left and right door latch (8N2 837 015B & - 016B) from a TT Mk1 carbio for £42. 

When they arrive I'll give them a good clean and spray with contact cleaner and electronics compatible dry lubricant to make them last as long as possible. 🤞 I'll give the same treatment to the ones I take off so hopefully I'll have serviceable spares should I need them.  Yes, running a 986 on a slim budget might prove to be a false economy, but then again, the salvage window regulator in my passenger door is still going strong over 4 years later.

Just got to remove and refit the door cards and membranes, again...

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

I've been getting more random double beeps when locking the car and can't track down which side is causing the error so I've rolled the dice with a Audi/VAG breaker to get a left and right door latch (8N2 837 015B & - 016B) from a TT Mk1 carbio for £42. 

When they arrive I'll give them a good clean and spray with contact cleaner and electronics compatible dry lubricant to make them last as long as possible. 🤞 I'll give the same treatment to the ones I take off so hopefully I'll have serviceable spares should I need them.  Yes, running a 986 on a slim budget might prove to be a false economy, but then again, the salvage window regulator in my passenger door is still going strong over 4 years later.

Just got to remove and refit the door cards and membranes, again...

Don’t know how smart the diags are on a 986 but there may be a “history” re alarm events available with the right kit.  Worth a poke around in the tool of choice / availability to see if there are any clues re the double beeper 

5 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Don’t know how smart the diags are on a 986 but there may be a “history” re alarm events available with the right kit.  Worth a poke around in the tool of choice / availability to see if there are any clues re the double beeper 

I've only got an iCarsoft POR v1.0 so can't read in detail.  Alarm triggers log is kept, not sure about alarm errors though, possibly.  For £42 and a couple of hours' work I'll see if I can get away with it.  If not I'll take a trip to Dove House and see if anything shows up on their system.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

I've only got an iCarsoft POR v1.0 so can't read in detail.  Alarm triggers log is kept, not sure about alarm errors though, possibly.  For £42 and a couple of hours' work I'll see if I can get away with it.  If not I'll take a trip to Dove House and see if anything shows up on their system.

Fair. It’s more the ****ache of door cards and membranes.  If you could narrow it down to one side vs the other then would be worth it.  I suspect the info isn’t there for “warnings” but it was worth a look. 

Good luck.  

Just now, Paul P said:

Fair. It’s more the ****ache of door cards and membranes.  If you could narrow it down to one side vs the other then would be worth it.  I suspect the info isn’t there for “warnings” but it was worth a look. 

Good luck.  

I've a hunch it ispassenger side, but if I'm 'going in' I want the parts to do both on the same day if my hunch turns out to be wrong!  It would take me 2 hours to get to Dove House and back by the time they've rootled around ad I'd then still probably be changing one of them and I'm a touch time poor at the moment.

🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Fitted stick on plate. Bought by my sons several years ago…just saying.

LZKVPhC.jpeg

Nice bit of weight saving for a track car!

Remembered to buy fresh power steering fluid before tacking the rack pipes.  Only £16.14 for a 1 quart bottle of genuine Fuchs (formerly Pentosin) CHF 11S on Amazon.  Says last one in stock so I hope its really there...