What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

I had my first proper look under the car today on @phazed two post lift. He kindly agreed to help me change the gearbox mounts and engine mount bush and when we got the car apart, they were all fine, so we kept the originals. To be fair, there were no symptoms of them needing changing but the car is 23 years old and I noticed an improvement when I changed them on my 996 at a similar age but that had a lot more miles on it.

Thankfully, its all quite clean underneath as its had a relatively easy life. Peter also kindly fixed a loose exhaust heat shield and that is most welcome change to interior noise!

We then went for a drive in each others cars, which has doubled the number of 986s I have driven. I did like the drive and firmness of his new and lowered suspension but we managed to travel on mostly smooth roads, so might have another go if I decided to invest.

Thank you Peter. 

• Like 1

Mine went in for a service yesterday.

Not much in the filter but we’ve fitted a magnetic drain plug.

Weeping from one of the tensioners so the washer got replaced.

Rear brake shield was rubbing so that got adjusted.

Couple of bits of bad news

1. front brake line going to the block that splits for the rears is quite corroded; I’ve not had a good look but is this do’able to replace with the OE pre formed part?

2. Play in the ball joints on both front arms. These are Spyder parts that I fitted about 15k / 3 years ago. I’ve been advised to pop the ball joint out of the hub to make sure that I didn’t loose the insert when fitting, but seems likely that I’ll need a pair of new arms and a geo.

Overall not a bad result, gives me some jobs to do once I’ve sorted the Mini, but could have done without it!

20 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Mine went in for a service yesterday.

Not much in the filter but we’ve fitted a magnetic drain plug.

Weeping from one of the tensioners so the washer got replaced.

Rear brake shield was rubbing so that got adjusted.

Couple of bits of bad news

1. front brake line going to the block that splits for the rears is quite corroded; I’ve not had a good look but is this do’able to replace with the OE pre formed part?

2. Play in the ball joints on both front arms. These are Spyder parts that I fitted about 15k / 3 years ago. I’ve been advised to pop the ball joint out of the hub to make sure that I didn’t loose the insert when fitting, but seems likely that I’ll need a pair of new arms and a geo.

Overall not a bad result, gives me some jobs to do once I’ve sorted the Mini, but could have done without it!

I had a Spyder arm go at about that age/mileage.  Dean supplied a replacement FOC...

The brake line is not too bad but needs time and patience to form from cunifer as a DIY project but you need the correct flaring tool to make the ends.  Pre formed part is around £80ish 996 355 177 12. Odds are you'll need to cut the line to then get a socket on the flare nut in the aluminium block in front of the rear wheel, the front end is OK as it is up behind the front wheel arch liner.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I had a Spyder arm go at about that age/mileage.  Dean supplied a replacement FOC...

The brake line is not too bad but needs time and patience to form from cunifer as a DIY project but you need the correct flaring tool to make the ends.  Pre formed part is around £80ish 996 355 177 12. Odds are you'll need to cut the line to then get a socket on the flare nut in the aluminium block in front of the rear wheel, the front end is OK as it is up behind the front wheel arch liner.

Cheers, so you reckon it should be do’able to get the pre-made pipe into place?

25 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Cheers, so you reckon it should be do’able to get the pre-made pipe into place?

I did mine with cunifer but it was the easiest of the longer pipes to both shape and fit, so a pre made one should be fairly straight forward.  Its a bit fiddly to get round the washer tank, which you'll need to take out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

How are your others holding up?

It was front right that failed.  Rears are fine but there was a hint of suspicion on the front left too at service back in December (4yrs 2 mths/19k miles since fitting) but nothing from the MOT which was done by the same friendly tester who picked up the front right at the previous one.

I've got to change the top mount bearings later this summer (and steering rack hard lines) so will have a thorough check myself then.  Someone one here suggested they'd had a bad batch at about the time mine would have been made but that's over a year offset from the age of yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Definitely worth a call to Eporsch. Pity you’re a long way away. 1/2cwt, did you get yours by mail, or did you visit and let them inspect?

I happened to be passing near by to collect a new one and agreed to send the duff one back for them to check it but didn't hear anything after they received it so guess they accepted it was duff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It was front right that failed.  Rears are fine but there was a hint of suspicion on the front left too at service back in December (4yrs 2 mths/19k miles since fitting) but nothing from the MOT which was done by the same friendly tester who picked up the front right at the previous one.

I've got to change the top mount bearings later this summer (and steering rack hard lines) so will have a thorough check myself then.  Someone one here suggested they'd had a bad batch at about the time mine would have been made but that's over a year offset from the age of yours.

Mine worst is O/S/F too, also not spotted at MoT.

I have a spare unused one (thought I’d damaged threads removing a rear but was ok) so am in 2 minds as to whether I swap that over and take it up with them, or just stick a pair of another brand on there.

So, smaller bushes must produce a, slightly different feel and also cheaper to manufacture. If you fit these, you will not be able to upgrade if you want to in the future fit Polybushes.

Not sure the joint bearing itself is a different size, but the hole in the arm that it sits in is, possibly larger IIRC but I'm far from certain.  It was reported by some one on here when they were poly bushing a car and had to get different size bushes a year or so ago.

Took the box out today for a bit of a blast between rain. First time in a few weeks. Had ten minutes spare to fit his 50k present. Very happy with it.

F

The old one was cracking on the seal, but had actually split now. So I feel justified on my present. 😉

F

Also fitted some 987 drain covers that have been in the to do box for over a year. 😬

D

• Like 1