What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

32 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

That's a bit nice. Got a link @Fat Rat?

This is the link for eBay 9 apart. Prepare to spend a oner for bling. You can buy from OPC. I will dig out the part number. 🤙🏻

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185669272080?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nYQiueamT--&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I was watching those but do be aware they are plastic with silver paint, not polished metal, which makes it a bit pricey for my taste. I'd be surprised if a new one on Ebay is cheaper than OPC.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I was watching those but do be aware they are plastic with silver paint, not polished metal, which makes it a bit pricey for my taste. I'd be surprised if a new one on Ebay is cheaper than OPC.

OPC is cheaper, plus you can get 10% discount. See how it fairs. At the moment, I like and had to buy the car a present. 😉 I will find the part number when it stops raining and can get to the shed. 

Changed the air filter, oil and oilfilter on getting ready for Nurburgring trip.

Addittional non planned maintenance appeared yesterday evening on my way to back home just 1km before arriving home. Steering got very heavy and battery light came on on dash... yes, the accessory belt was not right.

On the last 1km of the drive I drove with minimal rpm's and all went well. Water did not heat much oe r the normal and this morning no coolant had been disappeared adn oil looked just fine without any surprises (laso the filter was oily but fully clean).

Car has now a new accessory belt and all works real well.

The broken belt was Continental and I have driven with it about 7000km - roughly half of this on track and little under two years. How often you change the accessory belt if you track the car?

Second image shows the possible cause for the mishap - the waterhose clamp. It had short string of the belt on it and the hoseclamp had roteted a bit...

OpYJT4u.jpg

0PhpaON.jpg

Just now, Slinger said:

Sold it, bye bye boxter.😪

What are you moving on to or is it the end of an extra car?

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

What are you moving on to or is it the end of an extra car?

Afraid its the end of the weekend toy, retiring in september so cant really justify the extra cost, must admit its been an absolute pleasure, the best handlig car ive owned and ive had 3 M3s over the last 20 years. 

Settling down now with a F31 335d touring x drive m sport, tuned of course, but will always miss the boxxy.

4 minutes ago, Slinger said:

Afraid its the end of the weekend toy, retiring in september so cant really justify the extra cost, must admit its been an absolute pleasure, the best handlig car ive owned and ive had 3 M3s over the last 20 years. 

Settling down now with a F31 335d touring x drive m sport, tuned of course, but will always miss the boxxy.

Worse daily cars to have than that, and you can always come back when that investment pays out or something like that...

Yeah, im always on the lookout, also i have first refusal when the owner comes to sell it. The 335 is an absolute weapon , for me its the perfect all round car, practical, stunning performance and 42 mpg, whats not to like. 

On 7/6/2024 at 10:54 AM, Fat Rat said:

This is the link for eBay 9 apart. Prepare to spend a oner for bling. You can buy from OPC. I will dig out the part number. 🤙🏻

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185669272080?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nYQiueamT--&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 7/6/2024 at 10:19 AM, Daboy3000 said:

That's a bit nice. Got a link @Fat Rat?

Part number below.

C

• Like 2

My wing mirrors were a bit worse for wear so bought a pair of cheap poor condition ones of eBay and then sprayed them black.

I will refurb the original ones in yellow so have both options.

I quite like the black/yellow contrast.

J93h2cv.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Nitro V8 said:

My wing mirrors were a bit worse for wear so bought a pair of cheap poor condition ones of eBay and then sprayed them black.

I will refurb the original ones in yellow so have both options.

I quite like the black/yellow contrast.

J93h2cv.jpeg

Goes with the other black details you have.  Possibly also go for the standard screen rubber trim without the titanium insert to add to the look (I could find a home for the one with the insert if you wanted to swap, I believe they are just a push fit....).  All in look would be with black wheels too if you are brave enough!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Goes with the other black details you have.  Possibly also go for the standard screen rubber trim without the titanium insert to add to the look (I could find a home for the one with the insert if you wanted to swap, I believe they are just a push fit....).  All in look would be with black wheels too if you are brave enough!

I will keep an eye out for a black screen surround.

Not keen on black wheels.

A good move. Don’t forget the front four drains when you have time and a dry patch!

Finally weather and available time coincided this summer and I got to do the first of the major jobs to be done this year.  Rear brakes including new discs, pads and shoes (I hate drum brakes...), discs Brembo, pads, Textar and shoes Ferodo all sources from Autodoc over the winter to spread costs.  Whist I was under there a second job was to replace the rear ARB which @TROOPER88 advised back in May as it was heavily corroded.  I sourced a second-hand one from @ditchvisitor off the donor car for his new race car project which arrived cleaned up a repainted a few days ago.  Just avoided rain stopped play at the end but not had chance to test drive yet.

As ever with these cars the outer faces of the discs can look fine but the inner face can be a nightmare! This is what came off:

Right rear:

1h5TzDs.jpeg 

Left Rear:

71GcbYa.jpeg 

All good so far, worn but not too bad, now for the inner faces and pads:

Right rear:

VaJ5a28.jpeg 

Left rear:

uA3MmUz.jpeg 

And close ups of the pad wear:

Right:

B2p4rAm.jpeg 

Left:

Vh5fifw.jpeg 

Left rear was just starting to wear away the plastic in the wear indicator but had not worn through so I got away with running the wear indicators again, but both inner pads were on the limit and the disc faces heavily corroded.

And the handbrake shoes; the lower faces at the bottom pivot point were both worn through and starting to delaminate and teh friction material on all 4 shoes was cracked.

u4hpAvI.jpeg 

qz30jvI.jpeg 

And to complete the corrosion nightmare here the old and replacement ARB pics:

sAbhtdB.jpegkhaCCHO.jpegKfNHrrB.jpeg 

• Like 4

Finally got round repairing the lid on my sun visor vanity mirror. A corner had broken off a couple of years ago and I couldn't be bothered with the ebay kit. But I bought myself a cheap 3D pen this week, so I found myself extruding some black PLA filament to make up the missing plastic. Superglued it to the lid, trimmed it back with a pen knife, the lid is now securely fitted to the visor, it stays up when flipped up and the mirror lights work. Before I put the visor back on, I also lifted the A-pillar plastic cover to put a block of styrofoam between my DAB aerial and the A-pillar metal. This greatly improves signal reception which has been patchy for non-BBC stations in some areas.

26 minutes ago, Slinger said:

Also, dont forget the AC drain, passenger footwell.

I'll second that.  Symptoms are getting your feet dripped on when driving and damp carpet on the top of the central tunnel under the dash.

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

As ever with these cars the outer faces of the discs can look fine but the inner face can be a nightmare

You will have seen the posted theory about seized bleed nipples possibly being a root cause for this corrosion - I know you have carried out a lot of work on your car. Might this disk corrosion be linked to that theory or do you suspect something else? 

Tried to find out why the interior lamp, sunvisor lights and door puddle lights arent working.

Fuse for internal lights is ok, so I suppose the next step is to try and find a block connector that they all go to ?

31 minutes ago, map said:

You will have seen the posted theory about seized bleed nipples possibly being a root cause for this corrosion - I know you have carried out a lot of work on your car. Might this disk corrosion be linked to that theory or do you suspect something else? 

The nipples weren't seized on mine even before the full refurb of the calipers last year.  I mentioned a few days ago the I try to remember to just nip off and nip up the nipples when I'm doing work on any given corner of the car.  I think also looking at the ARB the rust is in the section that is void between the outside of the engine and the inside of the wheel which suggests to me road debris and salt might be a factor and it is cleaned far less often and this is where water and rubbish will be pushed from the wake in front of the tyre when clearing water, mud, slush etc. on the outside it is pushed wide of the car and the disc face is better protected by the wheel and spokes.  The higher wear on the inner pads I suspect starts once the disk face corrosion sets in.

Then again I could be completely wrong...

Cleaned and re-sealed the fabric top.

Changed the clutch mastercylinder. Could not see anything wrong with the old one, but on my last outing at the track, couple of times the clutch did not come up as fast as it shoud.

Slave cylinder, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, pressure plate adn flywheel are all new, so this was the last to address on the clutch. Now the clutch feel is much better while it was good before the change.

Clutch mastercylinder change was much more acrobatic endeavour than the ignition switch change. Hopefully also this lasts another 20 some years...

Now the car is (shoild be) ready for some Nurnburgring action in a weeks time 😎

New master cylinder on left.

udDQd0i.jpg