What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Cleaned and re-sealed the fabric top.

Changed the clutch mastercylinder. Could not see anything wrong with the old one, but on my last outing at the track, couple of times the clutch did not come up as fast as it shoud.

Slave cylinder, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, pressure plate adn flywheel are all new, so this was the last to address on the clutch. Now the clutch feel is much better while it was good before the change.

Clutch mastercylinder change was much more acrobatic endeavour than the ignition switch change. Hopefully also this lasts another 20 some years...

Now the car is (shoild be) ready for some Nurnburgring action in a weeks time 😎

New master cylinder on left.

udDQd0i.jpg

Have you checked the clutch assist spring?  Could be that rather than the master cylinder?

28 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Have you checked the clutch assist spring?  Could be that rather than the master cylinder?

Not yet. Did not think of that being the fault, hmmm might need some investigating.

Regardless of possible assist spring issue, the clutch works now much better than with the old mastercylinder.

Removed passenger door lock and replaced it with a used genuine one in the hope it would cure the locking / unlocking problem.

This had no effect so then fitted a new pattern version and got the same result.

Not sure what to try next.

7 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Removed passenger door lock and replaced it with a used genuine one in the hope it would cure the locking / unlocking problem.

This had no effect so then fitted a new pattern version and got the same result.

Driver's side?

• Like 1

I've reached a point where I am fed up with putting all my spare money into this car.  I wish I had a garage I could stick it in and mess about with it in my own time.  I'm not thinking of selling it yet but with all this cr*p weather and having two kids, it's just sitting there looking very sad, yet still very pretty, for itself.

Anyone else feels/felt like this?

Frequently. But some days I think about the two kids the same way. 

And how much could I get for a wife, low mileage, excellent bodywork despite age, running costs normal for age, ECU needs re flash or replacement?

It evens out. 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

I've had some playing up when locking with double beeps but they seem to have gone away, just after I bought a latch module for each side of the car (from an Audi breaker, they are also fitted to the Mk1 TT Roadster), gave them a thorough clean and cracked them open to give them an internal spray with contact cleaner (a Craig's List 'full refurb' - if you watch Roadworthy Rescues).  I figured I don't know which one is causing it so got both and the job can still be done in one go when the fault returns.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Are they 8 or 9 pin plugs @½cwt?  I really need to do this at some point but the 8 pin seem a little trickier to find as a VAG equivalent. 

2000 car so the 9 pin versions I'm afraid.

3B2 837 015A (RHD left hand) and 3B2 837 016A (RHD right hand)  Hope these ideas help:

Aftermarket punt for only a few quid? Front Left Door Lock Actuator For Seat Skoda VW Solenoid Mechanism 3B2837015A | eBay  or if a higher price gives more confidence (:unsure:3B2 837 015 A | 3B2837015A in AUTODOC online store from Autodoc.

or similar for right hand one: Skoda Octavia Mk1 1996-2010 Front Right Door Lock Actuator Mechanism | Spares Hut or a genuine one: VW Golf MK4/Bora Front/Right Door Lock Mechanism O/S/F 3B2837016A (8 pin) for sale online | eBay  but note their comments about VW PR codes may be give them a call (I've used this seller for parts for a Polo stepson used to have).

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

After catching a stone between my alloy and newly refurbished caliper, I got some touch up paint and tried to make it look less awful. 

53854091161_fba21f74ed_b.jpg 53861476639_a0ae9f0c4a_b.jpg 53860213857_50bec99928_b.jpg

Will try to flatten the paint with a very light polish, once the paint hardens.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I've reached a point where I am fed up with putting all my spare money into this car.  I wish I had a garage I could stick it in and mess about with it in my own time.  I'm not thinking of selling it yet but with all this cr*p weather and having two kids, it's just sitting there looking very sad, yet still very pretty, for itself.

Anyone else feels/felt like this?

Yes

My 986 was missing ifs driveshafts for 9 months. Eventually I put it all back together and I'm enjoying it again. But I don't have 2 kids. Most people I know with kids would never buy a 2 seater. Because it limits the amount of times you can use it. Although I have 1 mate with 4 kids and a 991 GT3. He is special. 

• Like 1

Same mechanics and 50% higher running costs, according to one comparison here. But you did start with a quite unloved example iirc. 

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Same mechanics and 50% higher running costs, according to one comparison here. But you did start with a quite unloved example iirc. 

True, but at least I could use it more, could shove the smallest child in the back.

On 7/16/2024 at 7:33 AM, ½cwt said:

Driver's side?

Ive been thinking about this today. If I lock the car by turning the key quickly, three times, anti clockwise, the drivers door locks, but the passenger door doesnt.

Could the fault still be in the drivers door actuator with those symptoms ?

Doe anyone know exactly what goes wrong internally with the actuators ?

Could it be reasonably possible to repair them ?

Edited by Bradders59

I took a look at fully opening up the replacement modules I've got but chickened out.  Someone on here did post pics of the internals and possibly even identified the switch components to replace just them.  There are 5 IIRC in each module and any one can be a problem.  I just blasted the inside of the two replacements with contact cleaner and closed them up, but as the originals are behaving currently I've not done any more than that.

On 7/17/2024 at 7:35 PM, Menoporsche said:

I think same running costs 

Car is running lovely and dropping it off for a service and new water pump in the morning. Need to sort the hood and then should be all ready for a planned road trip. I have been to a few different car meets lately and always forget to take a decent picture of my car although this popped up on Facebook yesterday and like the shine and reflections! 

7tyGCH0.jpg

• Like 3

Gave the hood a coat of Renovo yesterday.

Took it for MOT today. Had a slight problem with a sidelight which turned out to be the connecter not seating properly in the back of the headlight. 

Once that was solved it passed with a couple of reasonably minor advisories.

• Like 1

Just now, Bradders59 said:

Took it for MOT today. Had a slight problem with a sidelight which turned out to be the connecter not seating properly in the back of the headlight. 

Which were.... ?

4 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Keep an eye on the headlight frame mount. The part holding the connector can fracture. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Which were.... ?

Slight exhaust leak, slight rusting at  brake pipe mounting clip and slight oil leak, which Im pretty sure is from a spark plug tube. 

• Thanks 1