What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Completed a service; oil, filters, spark plugs and new battery.

Used Millers 5W 50 grade following advice on this forum.. I've used the Millers brand before in Subaru Turbo engine days. A nice but expensive product.

Spark plug change for the first time in 7+ years. To be fair, they looked fairly decent when out but a proper time consuming job.. glad i didnt pay for this to be done! No cracks in the coil packs so happy there.

Noticed a slight oil leak from the LH Side (passenger) cam cover. Wasn't  too bad and cleaned up OK. Looks as though someone's been there before though as gasket sealer (black mastic style..) evident in some areas. Did look as though access to solve this could be a right PITA.... any thoughts on this ? 

1 hour ago, marcusjd said:

Completed a service; oil, filters, spark plugs and new battery.

Used Millers 5W 50 grade following advice on this forum.. I've used the Millers brand before in Subaru Turbo engine days. A nice but expensive product.

Spark plug change for the first time in 7+ years. To be fair, they looked fairly decent when out but a proper time consuming job.. glad i didnt pay for this to be done! No cracks in the coil packs so happy there.

Noticed a slight oil leak from the LH Side (passenger) cam cover. Wasn't  too bad and cleaned up OK. Looks as though someone's been there before though as gasket sealer (black mastic style..) evident in some areas. Did look as though access to solve this could be a right PITA.... any thoughts on this ? 

It is a PITA.  To replace the cam cover you need to use a liquid gasket and manipulate the cover back into place in a tight space but without disturbing the bead of liquid gasket so you can only hold the spark plug holes!

The oil tubes for the spark plus can leak from their O-rings.  These are somewhat easier to change, look for videos on YT.

Wow, hope the weather is good for you! (I bought my car near there, coming back it was 36C, tough enough to drive normally!). 

Excellent communication from @TROOPER88 and water pump, interim service and a couple of other things completed on the car today and collecting it tomorrow. 
thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Collected the car from Paul today and very pleased with what he has done with the car and the value for money he offers. The water pump was a proactive change as many consider it a maintenance item and listening to the sound of the bearing, very glad that I chose to have it changed.

I think he was less pleased that I asked for a new spring on the clutch pedal, but secretly enjoyed doing it...not 🤣

Thanks @TROOPER88.

Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

Good to hear Graham.

How does the clutch feel now, it was a little, "different" before, although worked fine.

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Collected the car from Paul today and very pleased with what he has done with the car and the value for money he offers. The water pump was a proactive change as many consider it a maintenance item and listening to the sound of the bearing, very glad that I chose to have it changed.

I think he was less pleased that I asked for a new spring on the clutch pedal, but secretly enjoyed doing it...not 🤣

Thanks @TROOPER88.

Highly recommended.

Thanks you very much Graham; I try my best.

The clutch pedal spring is not an enjoyable job! :)

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 8:50 PM, pacificjuha said:

Took it aroud Nurburgring Nordschleife couple of times. This was first time ever for me at Nordscleife and have almost a week more time to keep practicing and destroying tires...

If you're doing a week of laps I hope you've got some spare pads and a go to place for new tyres! 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:01 PM, pacificjuha said:

So far weather is great, about 23 degrees C. Track is at 37 C, a bit slippery, but not bad.

I keep AC of at the track, so it is good to not have same kind of temperatures like you had.

Why off? If it's on the high speed fans will be on from the off. 

8 hours ago, edc said:

Why off? If it's on the high speed fans will be on from the off. 

AC compressor pulls fairly much stress for the accessory belt close to redline rpms. I try to keep the belt in operating condition while at the track ;)

35 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

AC compressor pulls fairly much stress for the accessory belt close to redline rpms. I try to keep the belt in operating condition while at the track ;)

Underdrive pulley ?

On 7/24/2024 at 8:50 PM, pacificjuha said:

Took it aroud Nurburgring Nordschleife couple of times. This was first time ever for me at Nordscleife and have almost a week more time to keep practicing and destroying tires...

Having Neverbeen myself, how do you reckon the Nurburgring is if you were passing nearby and wanted to go for a spirited but not a squealing tyres drive around it trying for a time?

Are other track users likely to cause issue just because you're in a Porsche and not wanting to

My brother has done it in a VW Beetle years back, so my question is less about the speed and more about how safe it is these days if you just want a sensible fairly spirited drive just to see it for real rather than on the playstation.

For reference I have done a fair bit of track driving in the UK back in Lotus and pre-Lotus days so I'm not a total newbie. Just wouldn't be there to cause wear issues when I want to drive another thousand miles afterwards and get back home in one piece.

Rounded one of the plastic screws in the passenger door cubby.  I thought I’d quickly investigate the source of an annoying rattle in the door.  I wouldn’t mind but I initially loosened the screw with no issues.  Gonna have to drill it out now 🙄

5 minutes ago, MacSter986 said:

Rounded one of the plastic screws in the passenger door cubby.  I thought I’d quickly investigate the source of an annoying rattle in the door.  I wouldn’t mind but I initially loosened the screw with no issues.  Gonna have to drill it out now 🙄

Get some side cuts or similar behind it whilst turning it still.  They are a touch fragile.

Anyhow, you have an old Boxster; rattles squeaks and knocks are normally the suspension even if you think it is the doors or hood.  Mine used to rattle and knock like crazy, I even thought there was scuttle shake.  After a full suspension refresh it is as quiet as Porsche intended, although I do have a bit of a rubber on glass squeak with the hood up even after generous applications of Gummi Pflege.

41 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Having Neverbeen myself, how do you reckon the Nurburgring is if you were passing nearby and wanted to go for a spirited but not a squealing tyres drive around it trying for a time?

Are other track users likely to cause issue just because you're in a Porsche and not wanting to

My brother has done it in a VW Beetle years back, so my question is less about the speed and more about how safe it is these days if you just want a sensible fairly spirited drive just to see it for real rather than on the playstation.

For reference I have done a fair bit of track driving in the UK back in Lotus and pre-Lotus days so I'm not a total newbie. Just wouldn't be there to cause wear issues when I want to drive another thousand miles afterwards and get back home in one piece.

Won’t be a problem at all. I did a few laps first in my TVR with my wife as passenger. There wasn’t any pressure although we passed a few Clio’s  in the barriers!

Later that day I had a Ring nut show me around and we really increased the pace. At no time did I feel intimidated. 

Go at your own comfortable pace with one eye in the mirror as bikes especially can come up really fast!

Treat it as a fast unknown road, you will never remember the corners without many, many visits.

I did many laps in my TVR and continued on our road trip without a hiccup. In a prepared Porsche you won’t have any problems!

Have a great time…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

We went there earlier in the year, fantastic experience, go at your own pace, you’ll not have a problem. Some seriously fast stuff, as mentioned, keep an eye in mirror, indicate and keep right. It’s open to tourist traffic certain times of the day, so worth checking on their website first.

Edited by Jim b
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MacSter986 said:

Which screws? The ones under the hinges door pocket flap?

if so, these are not meant to be removed to take off the door card.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moospeed said:

Track is fantastic with sooo many different turns and elevation changes. It is best if you give your self few days to be around there. On my first driving day wednesday it was fairly peaceful to drive, not many overtakers and roughly last third of the track I got to drive at my own pace (as fast as I deared - still getting tires in the air on few occasions by online photos evidences).

Thursday the parking area and surroundigs were full of 'kids' driving like on 'Playstaion' and I chose to not go on track with them. Couple of times these drivers caused bad enough crash that the track was closed for a fair amount of time in two occasions that evening.

Today was a partly dry and partly wet day. On wet track Nordscleife is in my opinion not fun to drive - drove one lap and it felt like driving on snow. The rubber left to the track that was now wet is very slippery.... coming off the corner my Boxster felt finally very powerful - spinning tires on 3rd gear...

So, give your self some time to be here few days and choose the days you'll be driving. Weekends is usually much more busy and attract more 'Playstation' drivers.

Very important to remeber: Always pass on left at Touristdays, so if you see on mirror somebody closing in, indicate with turn signal that you're staying on the right side.

Edited by pacificjuha
  • Thanks 1

Took the car to OPC Hatfield and renewed the classic membership. Had the car cleaned by them on the old membership as it doesn’t expire until the end of the month. Put my back out the other week, so worked out ok. 9 out of 10. Wheels need a bit of finish and a few drip marks. Can’t complain for nowt. 
while there, spoke to the parts people to order a 4 stork to retrofit cruise. Told that they can’t sell it to me as computer say it is not an option on my car. 🙄 03 2.7 facelift. Next asked for the rubber hose that is at the bottom of the AOS on the facelift and 987. According to there records it has the old type fitted? Doesn’t make sense to me. Will have to see what is fitted when I go to do it? 😬 ordered the hose anyway from a 987 drawing. I was allowed that. 🤔