What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

12 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Which screws? The ones under the hinges door pocket flap?

if so, these are not meant to be removed to take off the door card.

The one that’s inserted into the door card on the back face of the cubby. Just off centre and angled awkwardly in relation to the cubby opening. 

Looks like it’s an expanding nylon screw. 

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Get some side cuts or similar behind it whilst turning it still.  They are a touch fragile.

Anyhow, you have an old Boxster; rattles squeaks and knocks are normally the suspension even if you think it is the doors or hood.  Mine used to rattle and knock like crazy, I even thought there was scuttle shake.  After a full suspension refresh it is as quiet as Porsche intended, although I do have a bit of a rubber on glass squeak with the hood up even after generous applications of Gummi Pflege.

Thanks, it’s defo something in the door.  Pressure on the door card, just above the airbag lessens it. I’ve never seen inside the assembly before, sounds like it’s something slapping against the door card/membrane. Window regulator maybe (?).

Nothing major, just one of those things I I thought I’d investigate. 

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

Took the car to OPC Hatfield and renewed the classic membership. Had the car cleaned by them on the old membership as it doesn’t expire until the end of the month. Put my back out the other week, so worked out ok. 9 out of 10. Wheels need a bit of finish and a few drip marks. Can’t complain for nowt. 
while there, spoke to the parts people to order a 4 stork to retrofit cruise. Told that they can’t sell it to me as computer say it is not an option on my car. 🙄 03 2.7 facelift. Next asked for the rubber hose that is at the bottom of the AOS on the facelift and 987. According to there records it has the old type fitted? Doesn’t make sense to me. Will have to see what is fitted when I go to do it? 😬 ordered the hose anyway from a 987 drawing. I was allowed that. 🤔

Try another OPC. I bought a new 3 stalk to replace a broken one I had had fitted by an indy (the car was originally 2 stalk). OPC Brooklands mentioned that it wasn't an option on my car but sold me the 3 stalk anyway.

14 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Try another OPC. I bought a new 3 stalk to replace a broken one I had had fitted by an indy (the car was originally 2 stalk). OPC Brooklands mentioned that it wasn't an option on my car but sold me the 3 stalk anyway.

I have gone ahead and paid the extra and bought from D911. In stock. Made my mind up to go ahead and fit, so pay the extra and be done with it. 😬🤙🏻

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

Told that they can’t sell it to me as computer say it is not an option on my car. 🙄

Recently had this for extended wheel bolts at Hull OPC - “we will not supply these because they are not on the car’s original build”

But they’ll sell to D911 who then sell to us? 🤷‍♂️

I can see the OPC’s point of view if I was ordering a Taycan drive train and battery pack for my 986 - but in period parts being refused 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, MacSter986 said:

The one that’s inserted into the door card on the back face of the cubby. Just off centre and angled awkwardly in relation to the cubby opening. 

Looks like it’s an expanding nylon screw. 

Yes, you do not remove these to take the door cards off Sir.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Good to know, I've always removed it because it's a fixing I can see.

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Good to know, I've always removed it because it's a fixing I can see.

They are just for the actual pocket of you were stripping the card to it’s bare bones.

Door card removal is less than 5 mins in all honesty. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

They are just for the actual pocket of you were stripping the card to it’s bare bones.

Door card removal is less than 5 mins in all honesty. 

Probably will be now without doing those fiddly plastic screws with a stubby screwdriver! 😂

• Haha 2

I was up in London yesterday mainly using the train but had a 45 min drive to the station, so on my return a 40 minute minor A road blast in the dark after midnight top down, and there was a clear sky with a beautiful half Moon in the sky to boot.  Most Excellent!

• Like 4

On 7/27/2024 at 11:29 AM, map said:

Recently had this for extended wheel bolts at Hull OPC - “we will not supply these because they are not on the car’s original build”

But they’ll sell to D911 who then sell to us? 🤷‍♂️

I can see the OPC’s point of view if I was ordering a Taycan drive train and battery pack for my 986 - but in period parts being refused 🤦‍♂️

Pretty much the same conversation. We can’t sell it to you because if something happens and it is down to the cruise, we are liable. Really. But ok to sell to D911 as you say who say fit at your own risk. 🙄. Ordered now, so forget about it and get it fitted. The guy that makes the looms is going to fit and code for 70 quid plus 20 for the loom which I think is fair. 🤙🏻

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I was up in London yesterday mainly using the train but had a 45 min drive to the station, so on my return a 40 minute minor A road blast in the dark after midnight top down, and there was a clear sky with a beautiful half Moon in the sky to boot.  Most Excellent!

Isn’t that the best time to drive on our crowded roads. Rhetorical question!!

Took the car out for a day trip to Southend on Sea on Monday. Took an old buddy out who I had promised to take for 2 years now! Beautiful day and first proper day out for me with the top off for a while. Cruise stalk has arrived. Need to plan in to get that fitted. Would have been a great addition on Monday with all the road works on the M25 and the cruise speed down the A127. 👌

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

how much 😲

It depends how you look at it…

I either paid the daft price for some moulded plastic OR…I paid what I told my missus 😃 (the latter is more palatable) 

I bought direct, D911 have a silly mark-up. 

Edited by MacSter986
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MacSter986 said:

It depends how you look at it…

I either paid the daft price for some moulded plastic OR…I paid what I told my missus 😃 (the latter is more palatable) 

I bought direct, D911 have a silly mark-up. 

i do think they look good but i was put off by D911's price...

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, TROOPER88 said:

It turns out that you do need to remove this. The door card will not come off with this in place.  I fought with it for a while and then just persevered with removing the (already rounded) screw…the door card came straight off. 

On 8/4/2024 at 9:04 PM, MacSter986 said:

It turns out that you do need to remove this. The door card will not come off with this in place.  I fought with it for a while and then just persevered with removing the (already rounded) screw…the door card came straight off. 

I can assure you that no fixings in the door cubby hole have to be removed to remove a door card on a 986 :) 

All that is removed:

- Plastic trim around mirror

- Plastic trim around handle 

- 2 Torx screws on the long handle

- 1 Small screw behind the handle 

- 4mm Allen bolt behind airbag badge unless 96/97

- Door entry lamp if fitted

Pull door card to remove. 

On 8/4/2024 at 9:53 PM, TROOPER88 said:

I can assure you that no fixings in the door cubby hole have to be removed to remove a door card on a 986 :) 

All that is removed:

Add milk and sugar to taste !

On 8/4/2024 at 9:53 PM, TROOPER88 said:

All that is removed:

Well not on mine. The door card would not come off with that screw in place. The expanding nut flares out and secures the door card. 

Every how-to I’ve seen on YT references this, as do Pelican parts guides, e,g; 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/76-BODY-Door_Panels/76-BODY-Door_Panels.htm

• Like 1