What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Big hugs to you - we will miss you at Castle Coombe next week. 

Thanks again guys.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but a few months ago I ordered a set of Accelera 651 Sport Xtra tyres from Tire Streets. They arrived and I fitted them on my track day wheels. Just before the last track day, I thought I would check the wear rating on the tyres. Three were correct with the 100 logo and one was imprinted with the 200 logo. I had three soft tyres and one medium grade rubber tyre. Contacted company by email as they don’t have a phone number and had a new tyre delivered within a couple of days. Great service! This is the first time I’ve used them and their prices were really good.
Will use them again. 

Nice to hear real customer serviced isn't quite dead yet.

Take care, and wish you a speedy recovery. 

Shere Hill climb is on this Sunday if you needed a car fix to watch that's local.

Got a friend taking his V12 Aston up it.

Dove House have quoted a reasonable additional 4 hours to replace the hard lines on my steering rack along with my next service in December.  Not so sure about the £210 for the tracking but for that price it should be spot on...

43 minutes ago, Patt said:

Nice to hear real customer serviced isn't quite dead yet.

Take care, and wish you a speedy recovery. 

Shere Hill climb is on this Sunday if you needed a car fix to watch that's local.

Got a friend taking his V12 Aston up it.

Thanks.Didn’t realize it was on so soon. I will see how progress goes over the next couple of days. Will look it up on the web. Was going to enter it, in it’s first year with my old 5.5.Chimaera but with the obvious safety restrictions, I declined. 😅

2 hours ago, Patt said:

IIRC Eporsh charged £150 for alignment, as a reference.

Incl or plus VAT?

If I'm being a real cheapskate I might just say chuck it back together and I'll for to local KF (who are good at alignments before anyone shoots me down) for £80...

knowing them + VAT 😄

Once you have found a setting you like, I would always go to the local tyres place - no need to pay Porsche technician hourly rate ! It's taken me 3 or 4 tweaks to get close to where I'm almost happy.

Think my tyre place is £60 although they do not get each side to even match - just "close enough" Where is a recall Revolution spent the effort to get all corners where I wanted them exactly. 

I guess, like most things you pay for what you get.

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Incl or plus VAT?

If I'm being a real cheapskate I might just say chuck it back together and I'll for to local KF (who are good at alignments before anyone shoots me down) for £80...

As long as their machine is calibrated and you know what you are looking at on the print out then it can be ok. Even better if they can and will dial in specific settings. 

On 8/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, Patt said:

Strange how people take the word of one person who happens to be selling their wares over fact.

There are numerous owners, myself including, that have posted before and after plots with the larger TB mod and ALL show in improvement across the complete rev range.

I did just the TB

EDC added a bespoke tune and headers on one of his.

Just as examples.

On 8/29/2024 at 5:26 PM, Nitro V8 said:

Not true

I did not take the word of one person. I quote myself. “He contributed the most” but there were many other sources that stated the same. If I see a proven gain from it I will fit it straight away. 
I had assembled all the parts and went a different route which seemed good but I’m happy to change and go with it.

I don’t see what Wayne has to gain from saying he has not seen any increase from the 74mm tb? All he does is tune what is in front of him. Nothing to gain or lose. I seeked his advice following others who stated no gain and he confirmed just that.

I am completely happy to try both so all is good.

It is always difficult making a decision as there are so many variables and conflicting accounts but as I say I based my decision on my research and Wayne featured in that as well as Marty’s thread and others on y tube plus a conversation I had with a tuning company in the states and a motorsport tuner in the U.K. 

Again happy to change and adopt if I see a benefit.

Great to experiment and compare.

Further to previous.

Please link or show Dyno graphs that demonstrate an increase in torque or power from the 74mm throttle body mod/ plenum and that isolates this mod so not multiple other mods I.e exhaust etc.

I cannot find them so would be grateful to see the results.

Thank you

Well new radiator and AC condenser fitted, topped up with about 6 litres of coolant. Bottled out of doing water pump/thermostat on the drive, so going to get indie to do it when serviced next week.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bristolboxer said:

Fitted new plates today. Smartens the old girl up a bit.

Took some photos but they don’t want to upload so you will have to just believe me!

You need to use a hosting service like Flickr or Imgur and then use the Forum sharing links from there.  How To guides are at the top of the Newbie section.

• Like 1

Did oil and filter change. I did the previous 5093km ago 6th of July 2024. Yes, it has been awesome driving and tracking 2 months 😎

OIl filter was clean of anything else than oil - regardless of pretty hefty tarcking kilometers at Nurburgring and at Ahvenisto (Finland).

• Like 2

On 8/30/2024 at 5:42 PM, Nitro V8 said:

Further to previous.

Please link or show Dyno graphs that demonstrate an increase in torque or power from the 74mm throttle body mod/ plenum and that isolates this mod so not multiple other mods I.e exhaust etc.

I cannot find them so would be grateful to see the results.

Thank you

I've posted links back to my old threads and Dyno plots before. 

A few weeks ago I changed the AC hard lines, to do the longest one that connects under the scuttle it was necessary to loosen and move over the petrol filler, I thought I had put everything back ok but now when I fill up the petrol pump nozzle keeps clicking off whichever way I insert the nozzle. 
Any ideas?

17 hours ago, edc said:

I've posted links back to my old threads and Dyno plots before. 

This took some finding but here it is.

• Site Contributor
  • Interests:Climbing, gym, trying any old sports.
  • My Ride:550 Spyder 50th Anniversary; Merc A200, Seat Arona.

Here is a run down summary of the mods with what was used, costs and gains.

dUUCHnT.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/ka3dbo.jpg

Stage 1:

Toyosport silencer and exhaust manifolds. I managed to buy them on eBay for £130 and £110. They are the generic stock pictures you see on most listings. Fitting was done in 2 stages and cost approximately £100 and £180.

Peak bhp gain +9bhp

Stage 2:

74mm 996 throttle body and plenum from Porschapart, £100 and £30; 12" 83 mm ID aluminium pipe and 2 x 83mm internal diameter 4 ply silicone hoses from autosiliconehoses.com, £12 and 2 x £18; 80 - 100mm jubilee clips approx 6 needed, £1 each. Replace new paper air filter with a cotton K&N panel filter. Cost to fit = DIY with forum member Patt

Peak bhp gain +6bhp

Stage 3:

Custom remap at Motorsport Developments in Blackpool. I was referred here by another forum user Mark Shead. Cost £350.

Peak bhp gain + 6bhp

You can see from the graph the gains in power and torque for each set of mods. After stage 1 it really is chasing ever diminishing returns.

It may be feasible to swap stage 1 and 2 around yet still get the same result.

If you never drive your car hard or rev it out then these mods are a bit of a waste of time. Of course the flipside is the better sounds you get from stage 1 and 2.

With each of the mods they start to take effect around 3000 - 3500 rpm and hold the increased power and torque from 4500 rpm all the way through to the red line.

Went for a short drive. Heard the reedy whistle from the AOS again, even The Better ½ heard it! Time to change it for the new one I got about 9 months ago.

Started some of my to do list on my new to me 2003, front drop links off with plans to drop strut and fit new bumpstops and drop links tomorrow, found a moist steering rack whilst doing so and therefore added to my to do list

35 minutes ago, Stumac027 said:

Started some of my to do list on my new to me 2003, front drop links off with plans to drop strut and fit new bumpstops and drop links tomorrow, found a moist steering rack whilst doing so and therefore added to my to do list

If it is a flexible hose leaking just add a jubilee clip over the fitting, usually the fittings don't come out of the rack without destroying themselves and new hoses are Porsche specific and £££.  If it is the hardlines get them done ASAP, but whilst I'll do most things on my drive (I've done all the suspension and all the brake lines among other things), dropping the rack I bottled it on and I'm having the hard lines done by a local indy (I'm supplying parts and fluid as I'd bought them already) at the annual service - 4 hours £408.

Porsche 911 Power Steering Rack Pipes (1998-2005) (powersteeringstore.co.uk) 

• Thanks 1

Back on subject, (Boxsters).  Took my RS60 out a couple of times in the last few days. What is very noticeable is the increase of torque over the whole rev range that it has over my 986 S. Certainly the 986 revs well, just lacks that pzzazz!
Even though the 986 has full SS manifolds, sports cats, free’er flowing back box, 987 air box and 74mm throttle body…hmm.

I know I should consider a remap but from what I have read, the remap smooths things out but won’t produce much power and torque, (if any?).

Look forward to receiving comments on this.

23 hours ago, Nitro V8 said:

This took some finding but here it is.

• Site Contributor
  • Interests:Climbing, gym, trying any old sports.
  • My Ride:550 Spyder 50th Anniversary; Merc A200, Seat Arona.

Here is a run down summary of the mods with what was used, costs and gains.

dUUCHnT.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/ka3dbo.jpg

Stage 1:

Toyosport silencer and exhaust manifolds. I managed to buy them on eBay for £130 and £110. They are the generic stock pictures you see on most listings. Fitting was done in 2 stages and cost approximately £100 and £180.

Peak bhp gain +9bhp

Stage 2:

74mm 996 throttle body and plenum from Porschapart, £100 and £30; 12" 83 mm ID aluminium pipe and 2 x 83mm internal diameter 4 ply silicone hoses from autosiliconehoses.com, £12 and 2 x £18; 80 - 100mm jubilee clips approx 6 needed, £1 each. Replace new paper air filter with a cotton K&N panel filter. Cost to fit = DIY with forum member Patt

Peak bhp gain +6bhp

Stage 3:

Custom remap at Motorsport Developments in Blackpool. I was referred here by another forum user Mark Shead. Cost £350.

Peak bhp gain + 6bhp

You can see from the graph the gains in power and torque for each set of mods. After stage 1 it really is chasing ever diminishing returns.

It may be feasible to swap stage 1 and 2 around yet still get the same result.

If you never drive your car hard or rev it out then these mods are a bit of a waste of time. Of course the flipside is the better sounds you get from stage 1 and 2.

With each of the mods they start to take effect around 3000 - 3500 rpm and hold the increased power and torque from 4500 rpm all the way through to the red line.

Interesting and slightly depressing all at the same time.

I must admit that I thought these mods would produce more like 30bhp…

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Back on subject, (Boxsters).  ....

Boxster (986) and 911 (996)  share the same steering rack, so same replacement hard lines (have to go after market hence the link, as Porsche will only sell you a complete rack)... 🤔  or were you picking up on something else I missed?