What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

12 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Purchased a used 986 S muffler few weeks ago and today was time to cut it open and do a bit of modifications.

Starrting point of the original internals:

vmsXGAZ.jpg

Some modifiactions done:

5R1wgPE.jpg

This will still receive some exhaust wool to try to eliminate too much of noice and drone (hopefully at least the latter...) before I close the silencer again, clean it well and get to test it.

Flow on this should be much better than original and aim is to get the sound to be good while no drone and be acceptable at the MOT as well as track use - fingers crossed.

Very interesting to see inside, thanks for that. I would be tempted to spray some kind of rust treatment inside before you close it up as the boxes seem to rust from the inside (probably trapped moisture).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kdh said:

I for one would be very interested in hearing the results.

Please post a sound clip when you can? 👍

This is probably a winter project to fit in the modified muffler... but will post results. I'm still not fully sure if the internals will stay s those are now, because I'd like to improve the flow further while same time trying to make sure that the droning will stay away.

9 hours ago, BBB said:

Very interesting to see inside, thanks for that. I would be tempted to spray some kind of rust treatment inside before you close it up as the boxes seem to rust from the inside (probably trapped moisture).

This car serves much of it's time at the track and exhaust gets very hot for a extended time. Also this is not my daily and stays in warm garage under cover when not driven. I'm not that concerned of the rust on this muffler - just trying to get better gas flow and better sound (without droning) 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

This car serves much of it's time at the track and exhaust gets very hot for a extended time. Also this is not my daily and stays in warm garage under cover when not driven. I'm not that concerned of the rust on this muffler - just trying to get better gas flow and better sound (without droning) 🤞

I run the whole Toyosports system with sports cats.  Yes it does drone but at track speeds you are never in that zone. Also a lot lighter.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 10:40 PM, phazed said:

I run the whole Toyosports system with sports cats.  Yes it does drone but at track speeds you are never in that zone. Also a lot lighter.

My Toyosport backbox arrived yesterday, fitting it next week when the weather gets a bit better! Looking forward to fitting it.

I'm kinda curious to see how bad the drone actually is, there's a lot of complaints but it can't be worse than some of the stuff I've fitted cheap exhausts to in the past. 

Edited by rayan

41 minutes ago, rayan said:

My Toyosport backbox arrived yesterday, fitting it next week when the weather gets a bit better! Looking forward to fitting it.

I'm kinda curious to see how bad the drone actually is, there's a lot of complaints but it can't be worse than some of the stuff I've fitted cheap exhausts to in the past. 

Where are you based? Always happy for you to have a listen.

35 minutes ago, phazed said:

Where are you based? Always happy for you to have a listen.

I'm in Berkshire. 

From videos and sound clips it doesn't seem too bad to me, but I've never had too many issues with drone (perhaps I'm just tolerant to it after some of the cars I've had).

I’m just outside of Dorking. Not that many miles away if you are ever in the area and want to listen.

4 hours ago, phazed said:

I’m just outside of Dorking. Not that many miles away if you are ever in the area and want to listen.

Ah awesome, doubt I'll have time before I get mine fitted on Thursday but I'll keep it in mind before I pull the trigger on the manifolds!

The manifolds change the tone a bit, a bit less bassy and marginally reduce the drone. You can definitely feel the engine rev more freely with the manifolds. If feels like ther is another useable 500+ rpm beyond the rev limiter. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 2:41 PM, ½cwt said:

A very soggy 986 on holiday in The Lake District.  Seen on the quayside car park from one of the Lake Windermere steamers.

KXm6BBb.jpeg 

Definitely roof up weather 

welcome to the LAKES!🤣

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

New Top Mounts and Bearings

New Coffin Arms Front & Rear

New Rear Toe Arms

Four wheel geo / alignment

O M G - what a difference. Now I know how a Boxster should handle

And how quiet should be. 

BTW if it is still knocking or rattling there are more bits that need to be done.  Rear tuning forks or any drop links...

1 hour ago, Rev Ken said:

welcome to the LAKES!🤣

The permanent ones are fine, it's the temporary ones I could have done without.  Still today has been wall to wall sunshine, what a Boxster was invented for.

Found some minor rust at the rear drivers side sill when I stupidly decided to have a look behind the plastic cover, bonus is I fished out what seemed like a plant pots worth of mud. 

Going to do the other side at the weekend and give both areas a sand then a coating of rust converter, primer and some spray paint, will probably do the edges of the arches as well as they've gone a bit from stone chips etc.

End of a 600+ mile trip to and from The Lakes over the last 5 days.  Took the A6 up to Shap, than dropped down a short section down the M6 stopping at the wonderful Farmshop services at Tebay then took the A66 across to Scotch Corner and down teh A1(M) to avoid the dreary M6.  Boxster didn't miss a beat surviving almost biblical rain (those drains must have been clear) as well as glorious sunshine.