Help

Paul.

Sounds like it's in 'Limp mode'

suggest you plug a code reader in and see what errors have triggered. 

Dont recommend starting it up again before diagnosis 

Possibly needs a new coil pack. I had a fairly similar experience - engine light came on and sounded really lumpy. If so, it's a common fault and relatively inexpensive to fix. Fingers crossed for you. 

Coil packs are cheap. You ca price checking eBay or eurocarparts. Hard for anybody to give a definitive diagnosis without the car in front of them though as so many things run and affect the engine. 

Was it particularly wet or cold that night? Cars don't fix themselves so I would investigate and fix while you can as it's highly likely to reoccur another time. 

25 minutes ago, edc said:

Was it particularly wet or cold that night? Cars don't fix themselves so I would investigate and fix while you can as it's highly likely to reoccur another time. 

Wot e said,

sounds like it could be an issue with failing coil packs which will show up first when it is damp. Mine were first changed at 70k/10 years when they developed faults. As it's now done 140k I'll be fitting a new set fairly soon as preventative maintenance. How long have your's been on the car?

Then get under it and check the coilpacks. Check your service paperwork to see when it last had a plug and coilpack change. 

Archived