Annoying rattling from rear

phey708

Hi,

I have an annoying rattling coming from the rear of the car but it only happens when going slowly over an uneven surface; It doesn't appear when going over speed bumps or on the motorway. Ive had rear drop links changed and I tried to wiggle the rear sway bar to see if it was knocking but it feels solid. What else could be causing it?

Your description is a very typical symptom of the rear tuning forks. The rattle often sounds like snooker balls. 

Thats it. You can rebush them but for the cost of a push and somebody to press it it's cheaper just to buy a new one. Don't be tempted to try a poly bush as one member here tried and smaller the arm in use. 

• 3 months later...

Does it rattle with the roof down, i know its more difficult with the ambient noise but i could be your roof rattling, I know mine does sometimes and it could be misinterpreted as the suspension.

The rattle is actually from the ball joints where the trailing arms are bolted to the chassis. Even badly worn and rattling joints will appear to be tight to the hand. My advice is to go ahead and change them. They aren't that expensive and they are easy change.

Archived