Toyo sports exhaust

mattomg

3 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

We all experiment, felt for you.....but It was HMS Lizzie and the wife’s muffler that cracked me up!   You’ve got great taste ?? I’ve just acquired the new Gixxer 1000 which peaks around 14K and the Akra sounds ? I just wish the Boxster was a little louder.

Just get a Carnewal or bypass if you want a bit more volume. 

3 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

We all experiment, felt for you.....but It was HMS Lizzie and the wife’s muffler that cracked me up!   You’ve got great taste ?? I’ve just acquired the new Gixxer 1000 which peaks around 14K and the Akra sounds ? I just wish the Boxster was a little louder.

9 hours ago, edc said:

Finding someone in Hampshire/West Sussex to fabricate a bypass has been the problem. If I wanted a s/s shopping trolley I'm laughing but a bypass - no one seems to offer the service dain saith

5 hours ago, mattomg said:

Finding someone in Hampshire/West Sussex to fabricate a bypass has been the problem. If I wanted a s/s shopping trolley I'm laughing but a bypass - no one seems to offer the service dain saith

If you can remove the rear box yourself I'll can see if the chap who did mine will do another. His fabrication and welding skills are second to none and in West Sussex 

2 hours ago, golfprorich said:

If you can remove the rear box yourself I'll can see if the chap who did mine will do another. His fabrication and welding skills are second to none and in West Sussex 

The rear box is off (I kept it to try & sell on to mitigate the cost) so if your chap s up for it at a fair cost please ask. I presume you are happy with the sound ? and did he re--fit the bypassed box ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 9:41 PM, JohnnyUK said:

Try the heat wrap. £10 roll will do both mufflers and the joints to the cat. It does make a considerable difference. I had headaches after driving before... Enjoy the car again now. 

I've got the 6" x 15 feet which I don't think will be enough (should do  one of the back boxes). TShould I do the back boxes & pipes to it as far as possible ?

Be aware that if you wrap everything you move the heat concentration further down. This can be good for exhaust gas flow and is one of the reasons people wrap or ceramic coat manifolds. But the heat has to go somewhere. If it is all concentrated at the tips make sure you don't melt your bumper. 

17 hours ago, edc said:

Be aware that if you wrap everything you move the heat concentration further down. This can be good for exhaust gas flow and is one of the reasons people wrap or ceramic coat manifolds. But the heat has to go somewhere. If it is all concentrated at the tips make sure you don't melt your bumper. 

I'm only going to wrap post cat pipe work as that's where the noise is coming from (note USS Harry S Truman went off course during a rather foggy morning in portsmouth Harbour as I  drove to Lidl)

Hopefully there is enough clearance from the standard twin pipe end & the ground/bumper..

I wrapped both mufflers not the cats. It's not about heat retention, it's about thickening the wall of the boxes to deaden the drone.. Halfords do a 70cm jubilee clip that you can use to cross around the box in a figure eight and secures the wrap. Honestly, it's made the drive pleasurable again. 

I have a Toyo back box off eBay on 2.7 boxster, I fitted it myself. I luv the sound on start up and reviving it through the gears the issue comes as we have all mentioned with the drone.  If you wrap the back box does that not take away from the SS appearance from the back of the car? Would wrapping pipework from manifolds to back box and then top of boxes do anything?

At 3000RPM it’s getting a bit too much, I have had it on my car 4months with no audible change......

2 hours ago, W7PJN said:

I have a Toyo back box off eBay on 2.7 boxster, I fitted it myself. I luv the sound on start up and reviving it through the gears the issue comes as we have all mentioned with the drone.  If you wrap the back box does that not take away from the SS appearance from the back of the car? Would wrapping pipework from manifolds to back box and then top of boxes do anything?

At 3000RPM it’s getting a bit too much, I have had it on my car 4months with no audible change......

I  think the loss of the attractive s/s rear boxes is the price I will have to pay when I wrap the rear mufflers in heat wrap(Monday).     As far as I know wrapping the pipes post cat & pre Mufler won/t do much. We do get to keep the attractive twin tail pipes though

We are all a victim of buy cheap, pay dear    

I would not discount the inserts ........wrap won't do anything - these will

https://www.banggood.com/Insert-Round-Removable-Tip-Silencer-For-4_5-Inch-Tip-Stainless-Exhaust-Muffler-p-1296292.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=pla-all2-ie-pc&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVS0EvMOe3ACzPEcRGUAM8BAZ2NGTdnejaVrVuq0YBfqVjyyCGaMtRxoCsZ8QAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

I decided to get a fabricated set up - but was going to pull the trigger on these when I was doing the job

The TOYO box is simple to fit , and mine has no drone.............................................................unless I want it !  :)

KT

On 10/9/2018 at 8:19 PM, JohnnyUK said:

I wrapped both mufflers not the cats. It's not about heat retention, it's about thickening the wall of the boxes to deaden the drone.. Halfords do a 70cm jubilee clip that you can use to cross around the box in a figure eight and secures the wrap. Honestly, it's made the drive pleasurable again. 

So I wrapped both mufflers. The pipes post cat pre mufflers was obstructed with numerous clamps & sleeves so wrapping wasn't reasonable

The Result is a nominal reduction of drone. I wrapped about 6M of wrap per muffler & secured with large jubilee clips. I then did a 120 mile round trip up & down to the smoke and it was doable but much more would be a problem

I think I will have to go back to stock with a basic bypass in the future

A very expensive & very disappointing exercise.

11 hours ago, toplad said:

Both ?

Buying the exhaust and not being absolutely clear to the indie that 4 hours @ £65ph + VAT + Parts wouldn't work for me. Unfortunately he didn't ask & went ahead with the swap. I CAN live with it but for a cost of over a monkey there were better choices out there...............

Dented pride thinking it would be a bargain

What was actually done for 4 hours work? That's a lot just to change the rear box. I could understand a bit more of the cats had to come and maybe were changed too but rear box swap alone shouldn't be 4 hours. 

25 minutes ago, edc said:

What was actually done for 4 hours work? That's a lot just to change the rear box. I could understand a bit more of the cats had to come and maybe were changed too but rear box swap alone shouldn't be 4 hours. 

There were no fixings & first fit the unit was drooping down at an angle. They then fashioned new brackets, clamps & sleeves to get it level & look uniform  It does look good just sounds a bit moody !

Don't meant to put a downer on your experience but I've had the same exhaust and had it fitted at an exhaust place. Of course they fitted new clamps etc U bends reused but I waited for it to be done and was gone within half your time. 

I couldn't get any exhaust place to do it. I think they just took one look at it & thought stainless steel - no way. I tried to explain just fit the k**ker but no luck.  I think 4 hours was a bit rich but once it's done there was not much I could do. Makes me wonder about going back though .......  How does yours sound ?

14 hours ago, mattomg said:

I couldn't get any exhaust place to do it. I think they just took one look at it & thought stainless steel - no way. I tried to explain just fit the k**ker but no luck.  I think 4 hours was a bit rich but once it's done there was not much I could do. Makes me wonder about going back though .......  How does yours sound ?

I commented earlier in the thread. Mine was on in 2012. Then a couple of months later with the manifolds. I haven't had that car since 2013 now but prefer the Carnewal. 

Archived