What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

47 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

any noticeable change after having the gearbox oil changed?

On initially driving it back home from the Indie there’s a noticeable improvement, gear changes definitely feel smoother (less clunky). Difficult to properly quantify, or is it just the placebo effect? 

4 hours ago, brillomaster said:

Hmm think i might get it done at the next service... im also not sure theres ant evidence of it being done, and my car is 18 years old now...

Dropped the box oil on my 986 at 18/19 years. Oil was still in good nick and no bad smell. The fresh oil did make 2nd a bit less baulky when cold (6 speed box) and added a bit of smoothness but not huge amounts.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

(Sunday) Having had a hire car with CarPlay in the states for a couple of weeks I took a deep breath and fitted Mr12Volt CarPlay interface to the Boxster - and it works absolutely brilliantly.

All as per the installation video on the Mr12Volt site, except the 9x7 PCM needs to have its screen/faceplate assembly removed in order to open up the unit, unlike the Macan (Cayenne?) example in the vid. Not at all easy to get the harness and connecting plug to sit in a place that would enable the PCM to sit fully home in the dash, but got there eventually. Mr12Volt box fits neatly on top of the knee pad trim to the left of the steering column, secured with a couple of sticky pads.

I’m not interested in making/taking calls, so haven’t bothered with the microphone, but the rest is golden: Spotify sound quality is so much better than using the AUX lead and when I get in the phone connects to the PCM in the time it takes to start the car.

For my next trick I’ve ordered a wireless reversing camera to go with it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Tell me more! Firstly what live feed did you link it up to, second are you saying a reverse camera will display on the PCM 2.1 screen? (Or are you in a 987.2?)

His 'My Ride' might give you a clue... 😉

Changed the oil, filter, fitted track, pads, and my track wheels and tyres for Donington last Friday.

Decided at the last minute to take my Track Day Skoda vRS due to the forecast of rain, which turned out to be a good idea!

Refitted road brake pads, wheels and tyres today. That’s life!

19 minutes ago, phazed said:

Changed the oil, filter, fitted track, pads, and my track wheels and tyres for Donington last Friday.

Decided at the last minute to take my Track Day Skoda vRS due to the forecast of rain, which turned out to be a good idea!

Refitted road brake pads, wheels and tyres today. That’s life!

if you're interested, i'm planning a maiden track voyage in my 987 at bedford on the 28th october... be good to compare and contrast!

Very happy to put the 28th of October in my diary. Will take the Porsche unless the forecast is heavy rain. Look forward to it!

The noise, the Porsche when measured with the standard RS 60 switchable exhaust was something ridiculous like 83 dB!

35 minutes ago, phazed said:

The noise, the Porsche when measured with the standard RS 60 switchable exhaust was something ridiculous like 83 dB!

Hi Peter, do you still have these bad boys for noisy cars?

WvFOtjF.jpg

• Haha 2

Hi Graham. Those are actually nine aren’t they ?

No, sold then after I sold the TVR.

Luckily the Porsche is very quiet, even with the flaps open!

Yep, when I worked for PalmerSport at Bedford we had special exhausts for the Formula Palmer Audi cars just for doing shakedowns and driver tests, it was a double silencer set up with an addition support bracket.  Some circuits we had to run a single silencer like the corporate detuned FPAs did, at a few they ran open with just a straight pipe, sounded much better.  The corporate Caterhams also ran huge side silencers.

On 8/22/2023 at 5:28 PM, Tiggy66 said:

On initially driving it back home from the Indie there’s a noticeable improvement, gear changes definitely feel smoother (less clunky). Difficult to properly quantify, or is it just the placebo effect? 

Regardless it’s no bad thing to replace the gearbox oil , major difference on a five speed.. different box. I tend to replace my fluids on a regular basis, especially having a p*ss generally resolves any internal issues!!!!

• Like 2

alrighty, many things done today... new brake pads, master cylinder, brake lines and then tie rod and track rod end.

something in the brakes (i suspect the GT3 master cylinder) has made a huge difference in how the brakes feel... my 987S has gone from having the squishyist brake pedal of any car ive ever driven, to the firmest... brake action starts right at the top of the travel, and is good and firm... which should be great for trackdays, knowing the brakes are right there. also got proper pads, fresh fluid and gt3 air ducts fitted as well, so braking should be all good now

slightly concerned that the brake pedal is so firm, it wont line up well with the throttle for heel and toe, but i'm sure once i'm properly stamping on the pedal it'll line up ok.

My 987.1 is a standard in the braking department apart from track pads and high temperature fluid. Heel and toe position seems perfect.

I am sure my brake pedal feel isn’t as firm as the GT3 pedal but works really well.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:24 PM, phazed said:

Hi Graham. Those are actually nine aren’t they ?

They were and that was at Snetterton. Those and a discussion about max revs got me down to 105 at 3/4 revs.