What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

21 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

I blip on every downchange whatever I’m driving-force of habit

I’m a lorry driver and constant mesh gearboxes were still a thing in the 90’s

If you didn’t blip to synchronise revs to road speed you’d certainly be playing a tune on the gearbox,and a lot of times simply would not be able to get the lower gear at all.

Once mastered you only needed the clutch to pull away and when you needed to come to a stop,happy days😎

Great on trucks, but I wouldn't be promoting clutchless changes on a manual Boxster, even if when you heel/toe correctly the gear should to straight in.

@bally4563 there is no NEED, but it can reduce wear and tear on the 'box a bit and give smoother changes in terms of transmission backlash.  Horses for courses.  It is a technique I leant and I continue to use. but ho, hum.

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Great on trucks, but I wouldn't be promoting clutchless changes on a manual Boxster, even if when you heel/toe correctly the gear should to straight in.

@bally4563 there is no NEED, but it can reduce wear and tear on the 'box a bit and give smoother changes in terms of transmission backlash.  Horses for courses.  It is a technique I leant and I continue to use. but ho, hum.

No no I wouldn’t do a clutch less change on any car lol, but blipping for a downchange is a habit that has never left me

the clutch less bit was for constant mesh gearboxes (I didn’t word my post very well🤦‍♂️)

Edited by And.rs1800

24 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Looking good mate. I take it it's no longer for sale?

Still not 100% sure. If someone offered me a decent amount of money id let her go. But it wouldn't be at the bargain price now all the wee bits and bobs are sorted. 

27 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

Took her for a blast to get rid of a suspected airlock..  guess what.. none found.... checked all coolant levels, all good so tucked her up for the night.

Not sold it yet ?

Put it on SORN. 😌

Not going to expose it to any salt this year and wanted to get it on before it rolled over to November. I already got stung for a month taxing the Rangie at the end of October, gov.uk buggers 😡

Going to get the wheels refurbished during this period and bring it back on the road for a service and pre-MOT inspection in March.

Mines up on the two post lift at the moment whilst I'm cleaning the underside of mine ready for a fresh application misting of old engine oil with a bit of diesel sprayed everywhere.

We don't have salt on the roads in this part of France but my car was in the UK for a few years before I brought her.

She has no rust and I keep her in my workshop but it's Good Insurance as I like to use her all year round.

On 10/27/2023 at 3:25 PM, nelmo said:

Following on from some comments in the 986 thread, I went out for a short blast to try some heel and toe (never done it before).

Almost went into the back of someone, sounded like a learner driver with the engine revving all over the place and my ankle is killing me - so went well 🤪

Lots more practice needed...

hmmmm thought about how i learnt heel and toe, but... i cant remember! however - its well worth persevering with, as heel and toe downshifts are really the sole reason why i drive manual cars on track - executing a perfect heel and tow downshift is soo satisfying, its like engaging hero mode.

and on a nice country road, i often find myself unnecessarily going from 3rd to 4th, just so i can heel and toe back down to third again. i do find it easier with a firmer stamp on the brake pedal, doesnt really work that well if you're only lightly on the brake, difficult to maintain a consistent push on the brake while you blip the throttle if your pressure on the brake is light.

i'm pretty sure you can practice the motions while stationary, with the engine off. you wont hear the throttle blip, but you'll get a feel for the throttle pedal. also, its not necessarily heel on gas, toe on brake - it can just be left side of foot on brake, right side of foot on gas. varies depending on the relative position of the pedals and what feels comfortable to you.

Everything you said above. Works better when pressing hard on the brake which is the whole idea. Flat out down the straight, late braking just before the corner while rolling the right side of your foot to blip the throttle to change down one or two gears, depending on the corner., Set up the car, mid corner and power out. Addictive when you get it right. Even more addictive with the Porsche because the sound of the engine behind you is just fantastic. 

• Like 1

Scariest day of the year today - no, not Halloween - MOT day!

Took a bit of a risk when buying as it only had a short MOT, but passed today and garage said it was very clean underneath - nothing to worry about - so thats the kiss of death!

On the plus side, they parked it in a sufficiently large space for collection - Yes, that is "parked" by the garage, not just abandoned  :)

toFQWuN.jpg

Edited by Mattman42
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:25 PM, nelmo said:

Following on from some comments in the 986 thread, I went out for a short blast to try some heel and toe (never done it before).

Almost went into the back of someone, sounded like a learner driver with the engine revving all over the place and my ankle is killing me - so went well 🤪

Lots more practice needed...

Also don't forget EVERYONE  can type how good they are at it  ;)

• Haha 3

I actually watched a specific Boxster heel and toe video - the floor-mounted accelerator makes it more difficult IMO. I tried the left/right side of the foot but even my size 11s weren't big enough (maybe if I wear walking boots? 😉).