What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

17 hours ago, Slomofo said:

Also found the driveshaft outer seal spitting grease on the inside of the wheel barrel,  bother…..

That can be a very expensive 'bother', I'm afraid, if it's the metal end and not the rubber boot. Those metal ends are, officially, not repairable and a new driveshaft is the only solution, at £1200 each for a brand new one 😮 - before fitting!

I bought a second-hand driveshaft when that happened to mine - however, I've since heard of someone who just managed to just tidy up and re-seal the metal end, and then refill the grease in the rubber boot as a fix, which sounds a better idea.

• Thanks 1

Used the DA polisher for the first time. 1 battery was enough to compound and then polish 1 x front wing, the bonnet and the boot. So seeing as it has 2 batteries reckon I could do the whole car in 1 hit but the sun came out so stopped.

So easy to use, I should have got one years ago.

Half the car done today

53869683345_3cf159ca68_o_d.jpg

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

PXL_20240722_162036576.MP

Replaced the dodgy coil pack tonight & whilst up on the ramp I've given my front anti roll bar bush bolts a good nipping up they seemed like they tightened up quite a bit so hopefully that was my knocking as suggested by @r1flyguy only one way to find out and unfortunately that wasn't going to happen tonight. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cocky said:

Also it's by far easier swapping plugs & coils on the 987.2 than the 987.1!! 

Will be if you only replace one 😜

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Will be if you only replace one 😜

I did them all recent (ish) found it quite easy to do & then I did a friends 987.1 and the access was a nightmare in comparison. 

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty easy on my 987.1 although I do have a ramp and have never worked on a 987.2.

Don’t be put off. You just need the correct tools…

2 hours ago, phazed said:

I thought it was pretty easy on my 987.1 although I do have a ramp and have never worked on a 987.2.

Both have pros and cons.Dont particularly like the cats so close to the coils on the.2. even with the heat Shields.Thought the coil packs were more robust on the.2 so  one has let go in what sounds like not very long. .They seem to last about 10 years on the,1 well in my case anyway..

5 hours ago, Liberty said:

Both have pros and cons.Dont particularly like the cats so close to the coils on the.2. even with the heat Shields.Thought the coil packs were more robust on the.2 so  one has let go in what sounds like not very long. .They seem to last about 10 years on the,1 well in my case anyway..

It had slight transport damage but I'd got it from autodoc so I did fit it to see how it went then just getting around to replacing it. Car was okay but you could feel it in idle ever so. Plugging it in it came up with a code for that bank (no warning on dash). 

8 hours ago, phazed said:

We have a ramp 👍🏻 

Taking the arch liner off, heat shield(s) & access is way easier & you're just straight onto each plug. Noticable improvement in my eyes. 

Not saying it's a better car, just found this job loads simpler 🙂

On 7/20/2024 at 3:37 PM, Bike Loon said:

Used the DA polisher for the first time. 1 battery was enough to compound and then polish 1 x front wing, the bonnet and the boot. So seeing as it has 2 batteries reckon I could do the whole car in 1 hit but the sun came out so stopped.

Half the car done today

Is that a Dewalt polisher?

@ricof Yes, I got it from here.

DeWalt DCM848P2 18v XR Brushless 125mm Dual Action Polisher Inc 2x 5.0Ah Batts | Power Tool World

Of course if you already have DeWalt batteries you can buy a bare one.

Really simple to use and being Dual Action pretty much idiot proof...so thats why  I got it 😁

Edited by Bike Loon

6 hours ago, Cocky said:

It had slight transport damage but I'd got it from autodoc so I did fit it to see how it went then just getting around to replacing it. Car was okay but you could feel it in idle ever so. Plugging it in it came up with a code for that bank (no warning on dash). 

We have a ramp 👍🏻 

Taking the arch liner off, heat shield(s) & access is way easier & you're just straight onto each plug. Noticable improvement in my eyes. 

Not saying it's a better car, just found this job loads simpler 🙂

Try a 981 if you think access is easy, ok if you have dwarfs hands especially on the left bank….987 . 986  simples!!

On 7/20/2024 at 3:37 PM, Bike Loon said:

Half the car done today

That looks stunning, what polishes did you use?