What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Ordered myself and Andy some car graphic X-pipe exhaust bits but they come without tips so I'll have to bolt one on the car and have a work out what length tips I need (likely Remus) unless anybody has a rough idea? 

I'm hoping that recently replacing the exhaust studs replacing them on my car should be fairly straightforward. 

In anticipation of a major ballache I thought I’d start the process of soaking the inner bleed nipple on one of my front brake calipers. I’ve never bled the inners before and therefore suspect nobody has either. With the wheel off it looked horrible as someone has painted the caliper with the nipples in place and the bottom parts are red.

But, they both moved 😅 and clean looking brake fluid came out of the inner nipple. 

Plan now is to push my luck on the left hand side tomorrow and if all goes well, fit pads, discs, new nipples and bleed the system. Does it matter which order on each caliper, inner then outer or the other way around?

On 7/29/2024 at 9:58 PM, BBB said:

In anticipation of a major ballache I thought I’d start the process of soaking the inner bleed nipple on one of my front brake calipers. I’ve never bled the inners before and therefore suspect nobody has either. With the wheel off it looked horrible as someone has painted the caliper with the nipples in place and the bottom parts are red.

But, they both moved 😅 and clean looking brake fluid came out of the inner nipple. 

Plan now is to push my luck on the left hand side tomorrow and if all goes well, fit pads, discs, new nipples and bleed the system. Does it matter which order on each caliper, inner then outer or the other way around?

Ironically the paint may have prevented moisture ingress and so no corrosion.

Start the furthest distance from the master cylinder, so right rear (although as you are bleeding rather flushing it is not so important), doing outer then inner.

Finally finished compounding the car with the Dual Action Polisher.

Although the next thing will be to make where the few stone chips have been touched up previously, to make them more invisible I think! Having practiced on a couple of small ones, I have discovered with time and some wet and dry combined with the DA Polisher and some compound, you can get some pretty impressive results.

Replaced my front anti roll bar bushes for genuine to see if that resolves my knocking. 

Fitted X flow pipes 

PXL_20240801_170433607

More pics in my members rides 

• Like 1

Got the car back from a local body shop. Had the rear quarters painted, protective film removed first. Had the vents painted also as I had done a fairly shyatee job of them myself. Really pleased with the job. Just wondering what to do about the lack of protection to the bodywork. Anybody replaced it or just left it off?

IMG20240802111852

The only problem is I think I need to wait several weeks until the paint has fully cured before applying anything on top of it. So It'll need to stay tucked up in my garage for the moment as I'm scared I damage the paint before I get a protective film on it.

You could make up a panel with some low tack masking tape if you want to drive it.

11 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Got the car back from a local body shop. Had the rear quarters painted, protective film removed first. Had the vents painted also as I had done a fairly shyatee job of them myself. Really pleased with the job. Just wondering what to do about the lack of protection to the bodywork. Anybody replaced it or just left it off?

IMG20240802111852

Can I ask how much you paid? I need both my rear wings repainting - just been too scared to get a quote.

5 hours ago, nelmo said:

Can I ask how much you paid? I need both my rear wings repainting - just been too scared to get a quote.

It was £1200 including VAT. Not sure if that's good or bad but sometimes you get what you pay for. You really wouldn't know. They've done a really good job and there are virtually no signs of over spray anywhere. The only tell tale sign is a slight smell of paint when you get in the car. Very happy with it and would definitely use them again.

• Like 1

Quick two bucket wash. Possibly first time for over 2 years. Some of you will balk, but it was away for about 9 months waiting for clutch stuff, and I barely drive it anyway…

Does look good now, though the paint felt rough. Maybe I should learn how to use a clay bar. 

On 8/3/2024 at 9:29 PM, Bike Loon said:

Clay bar kit is super easy to use and the results are worth it

^+1

You will be amazed how rough the paint feels through the clay as you do it and feel the dirt get removed and then how smooth it is once done.

fixed the leaking washer fluid that i've been putting off for ages - of course, the evening i decide to do it - it rains :(

Total cost: £12

Time to complete: 30mins

Details in my thread under Members Rides if anyone is interested

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 7:15 PM, Cocky said:

Replaced my front anti roll bar bushes for genuine to see if that resolves my knocking. 

Fitted X flow pipes 

PXL_20240801_170433607

More pics in my members rides 

Were the arb bushes a faff? Thinking I need to do mine - passenger side esp. Thinking of going poly.

7 hours ago, Ninesomething said:

Were the arb bushes a faff? Thinking I need to do mine - passenger side esp. Thinking of going poly.

Only popping the bar out, beyond that they're fairly straightforward. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2024 at 4:58 PM, ½cwt said:

^+1

You will be amazed how rough the paint feels through the clay as you do it and feel the dirt get removed and then how smooth it is once done.

I think it’s about time for another clay bar season for mine - with holidays and everything it ms been sitting with a layer of dirt on it for weeks - challenge is finding the time