What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

I think it’s about time for another clay bar season for mine - with holidays and everything it ms been sitting with a layer of dirt on it for weeks - challenge is finding the time 

Not may cars a quicker to clay bar than a cloth roofed convertible, less paintwork!

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

2 coffees and a packet of Jaffa cakes I believe!!

With shrinkflation I believe 2 packs of Jaffa Cakes are now required....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I'm about to clay and DA and then ceramic coat mine today.

I estimate 1 hour to wash, clay and wash n dry it.

The rest of the day to polish it and deep clean the plastics with 2 hours to apply the coating. 

This includes breaks for a brew and a ciggy as my body isn't as fit as it should be. 😆

I only use a lube if it's very hot, I use the soapy car wash.  The idea is to remove all contaminates before a pad touches it thus a quick detailer (the lube) is leaving a layer on the clear coat.

• 2 weeks later...

Been up to Cotswold Porsche and had long a.c. pipe fitted, new bank 2 exhaust variocam and repaired air leak from inlet manifold  joining pipe. Ordered Astonish leather cleaner ( not arrived yet) . Not a cheap week. Add on track day insurance for Curborough and 6 months learner driver insurance for eldest child on the daily and my car slush fund is seriously depleted.

1 hour ago, CAZ said:

Been up to Cotswold Porsche and had long a.c. pipe fitted, new bank 2 exhaust variocam and repaired air leak from inlet manifold  joining pipe. Ordered Astonish leather cleaner ( not arrived yet) . Not a cheap week. Add on track day insurance for Curborough and 6 months learner driver insurance for eldest child on the daily and my car slush fund is seriously depleted.

Not so much slush as drought with that lot!  Make sure you enjoy Curborough and everything else you do with The Cherry Bomb in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

I changed my AOS two months ago and happy to report I've not had a puff of smoke on start up since.

She's now already to come over from France on Monday night to start a 3 weeks tour around the UK.

• Like 2

I have my whole front end from the Windscreen forward covered in that material. It was professionally done by a previous owner. You honestly can’t tell that’s it is fitted unless you look really closely at the edges. Advantages of course are that I have not got one stone chip on the car. 

Just a couple of weeks after confirming I do have an engine in there somewhere, I have now also proven that I have a front bit as well 😀. Changed the coolant sensor (was getting a 'fault indicator' message on the dash) and changed the fan belt at the same time. It was last done 50k miles and 8 years ago, according to the old invoices, so a cheap and easy replacement. 

Admittedly, the old one looked fine and could have lasted another 50k miles but hey...

Edited by nelmo

Drove mine to the Ferry at Ouistreham with the roof down last night and the same this morning from Portsmouth to Gloucester.

Just hit 79,000 miles this trip we'll probably hit the 80K.

First time I've bought her back across in 6 years and she's running beautifully.

• Like 1

Friday and yesterday. Front end suspension refresh.

New front coffin arms. New TREs. New top mounts & bearings. New drop links. New bump stops and gaiters.

Lots of swarf, plus gas, sweat and swearing.

New brake disc shields on order (bent em and they were broke anyway).

Geo once my lad can fit it in.

• Like 2

Discovered this:

9LzQ7Fc.jpeg

Not set eyes on it before. Reassuring that it’s really there. Could do with a clean.

I went looking for it because when I started the car this morning there was a nasty, whirring grinding noise, which went up in pitch with the revs and got louder when I turned the steering.

On checking, the PAS fluid was off the bottom of the dipstick, so having established in my very best French that the nearest motor factors had the right stuff in stock I set off very gingerly to drive the 12 or so km down there, bought some and added a fair bit on the spot to get it up to the ‘max’ line.

That seems to have done the trick - the noise has disappeared.

So… the PAS fluid level hasn’t been checked since at least the last service, 18 months and 6,000 miles ago, and there’s no guarantee that it was checked then: does the stuff evaporate, given long enough, or should I be looking for a leak - and if so, where are the usual places?

• Like 1

That is how it started for @TGI_J too.  Also coincidentally in France...  Check near the OSF tyre on the bottom to see if your bottom hydraulic hose has not popped off, or is corroded/porous.  You may not see anything due to the cover, but fluid will find a way to the floor eventually.

He had his car recovered back to the UK as it very quickly turned worse and the kind folks at Dove House fixed it today by fitting a new hose.

• Like 2

Have done nothing to the car but went for a really nice leisurely drive in the Surrey Hills yesterday afternoon. Had to take my wife with me to keep me in check. ;)

Stopped off at my son’s garage and just managed to fend off his young mechanic who tried to persuade me to let him have a drive of the Boxster!

• Haha 1

Currently in the Cotswolds with mine on our 3 week UK road trip over from France.

Going to be at the Newent Classic Car Show tomorrow between Gloucester and the Forest of Dean.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 9:20 PM, IroningMan said:

Discovered this:

9LzQ7Fc.jpeg

Not set eyes on it before. Reassuring that it’s really there. Could do with a clean.

I went looking for it because when I started the car this morning there was a nasty, whirring grinding noise, which went up in pitch with the revs and got louder when I turned the steering.

On checking, the PAS fluid was off the bottom of the dipstick, so having established in my very best French that the nearest motor factors had the right stuff in stock I set off very gingerly to drive the 12 or so km down there, bought some and added a fair bit on the spot to get it up to the ‘max’ line.

That seems to have done the trick - the noise has disappeared.

So… the PAS fluid level hasn’t been checked since at least the last service, 18 months and 6,000 miles ago, and there’s no guarantee that it was checked then: does the stuff evaporate, given long enough, or should I be looking for a leak - and if so, where are the usual places?

So, mine was.leaking from the front power steering hose, it's a rubber pipe onto a hard pipe with a aluminium feral that keeps it on. 

The Ferals split and it leaks. It's hard to spot, my front under tray eventually filled with PS fluid and started dropping on the floor and that's how I spotted it. 

Worth checking the tray. The pipe it self is behind the front ARB and really hard to see. I had to drop the subframe to get at it. 

6 hours ago, earley231186 said:

it's a rubber pipe onto a hard pipe with a aluminium feral that keeps it on. The Ferals split and it leaks.

I was going to correct that to ferrule, but it sounds like by now it has certainly gone feral. Eloquent 👍