What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

10 hours ago, earley231186 said:

So, mine was.leaking from the front power steering hose, it's a rubber pipe onto a hard pipe with a aluminium feral that keeps it on. 

The Ferals split and it leaks. It's hard to spot, my front under tray eventually filled with PS fluid and started dropping on the floor and that's how I spotted it. 

Worth checking the tray. The pipe it self is behind the front ARB and really hard to see. I had to drop the subframe to get at it. 

Thanks for the pointer. I can’t see any sign of a leak, and I don’t have a jack with me down here, so it’s difficult to investigate further, but I’ll take a look at those hoses when* I get back the the UK.

*if…

• Like 1

I was a crazy fool and opened the fuel filler door and it came off in my hand!

oh and i drove from central london to a friends birthday party in kent yesterday then another birthday party in Chippenham today. Back home now.

is it allowed in a Boxster forum to say that i coveted the BMW CSL Batmobile that was driving alongside me through Kensington? Awesome car!

10 minutes ago, _ian said:.

is it allowed in a Boxster forum to say that i coveted the BMW CSL Batmobile that was driving alongside me through Kensington? Awesome car!

No! 😈

15 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I was going to correct that to ferrule, but it sounds like by now it has certainly gone feral. Eloquent 👍

Hahaha. That's just me not knowing how to spell. I'm good at hitting things and moving large objects. Writing not so much haha

16 hours ago, _ian said:

I wandered along to a BMW meet yesterday and they had a couple there - beautiful cars. Probably horrible to drive compared to anything modern but lovely. And also stupidly expensive now as well, so covet all you like... 🙂 

Went for a long round trip to the Chilterns for lunch, gorgeous scenery and a great drive…..then found out that the Air Con has left the building when needed, steamy hot 28degrees.  Had to speed up to get a better draught, which is how I explained it to the handbrake ….🤫

• Haha 2

On 9/1/2024 at 7:12 PM, _ian said:

I was a crazy fool and opened the fuel filler door and it came off in my hand!

oh and i drove from central london to a friends birthday party in kent yesterday then another birthday party in Chippenham today. Back home now.

My sister had a wealthy boyfriend that had one of those. Why she never married him I'll never know. FWIW I think it's the last great car that BMW ever made. 

SORNED my 987. It is in the garage waiting for me to put the cover on. It is just a play thing and the weather has turned. This has happened over the last few years, six months of grey, rain, and general dullness, so what’s the point. Years ago I used to run my.TVR’s through winter as we seemed to have a lot of cold dry days, but not anymore. Call it global warming or just a glitch in the weather patterns but I honestly don’t think it’s worth it.

Will still keep my 986 ready for track day action as I quite like a winters cold track day….

Actually thinking about putting mine into storage with Colin at The Car Space from November to March ( as I don’t have a garage) the saving on the road tax would cover the storage cost and I wouldn’t have to worry about her - but I’ll miss driving her when I can, so I’m torn at the moment…

3 hours ago, nelmo said:

I have had some great drives out on sunny winter days (and we do get a surprising number of them)...I can't see me ever storing a car, unless i had a spare, I suppose.

I agree.  Although Caz’s “woman maths” makes sense.  Over the past 7 winters or so with a boxster i think I get on average a drive a week and a roof down outing once a fortnight ish.  

i would miss those occasions but if I was going to store I would go for jan and feb.  

Mine is garaged anyway so not much of a saving or benefit there.  

Tough call.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nelmo said:

I have had some great drives out on sunny winter days (and we do get a surprising number of them)...I can't see me ever storing a car, unless i had a spare, I suppose.

I daily a Fiesta, but it’s no fun, just functional, feels like I’m driving a paper aeroplane, but I know I would miss driving the cherry bomb if she went into storage, wish I had a garage!

Went with a couple of biker pals camping in Campbeltown. Didn't think I was going to get out for a long run before it gets SORN at the end of the month.

If you ever get the chance to go down the A83 I highly recommend it.

Spent yesterday and today updating the Interior.

Gloss Back Air Vents, Storage Bin, Climate etc, lower Gear Surround and gear Knob.

Covered the lower Dash, upper Gear Surround and armrest in Alcantara. Really updates the interior from the standard materials and Grey/ Brown trim. 

Interior upgrade Interior upgrade Interior upgrade

Edited by Drrncour
  • Like 1

I used a high Strength/ Tack Fabric Glue Spray for the main body of the work. (Got it from Tool station) Then used high strength glue (Brush type) on the edges. All tucked in correctly so invisible. 

Edited by Drrncour
  • Like 1

At least there isn’t a hot transmission and exhaust, running down the centre of a Boxster!

Meno is referring to the 981 door cards that fall off even in the few days of British summer.

Seems to be those without the extended leather option that are more prone... I've had to VHB tape my drivers one back - I would give it a 90% fixed rate after the few days this year we saw summer.