What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 minute ago, Angus76 said:

How easy was this to do - remove the belt? 

Dead easy! General steps below but loads of videos on youtube:

1. Put roof about halfway up then remove storage cubby/Bose unit

2. Remove plastic carpet fasteners and carpet then remove engine hatch (10mm bolts & nuts)

3. Get a 24mm socket on the tensioner pulley and push down

4. Remove belt then repeat steps in reverse

• Like 1

Are you sure you have to remove the?Bose/cubby unit?

from memory, I thought it was just a matter of pushing and tilting the seats forward, removing the carpet and engine hatch as you said.

40 minutes ago, phazed said:

from memory, I thought it was just a matter of pushing and tilting the seats forward, removing the carpet and engine hatch as you said.

The carpet loops over some studs on top so you at least have to unlock and push back but just as easy to remove.

• Like 1

Quite right. I remember now. I discarded my speaker unit and it is sitting in the corner of the garage. I’ve never turned it on and I aim for lightness for the track car. 

14 hours ago, ricof said:

Dead easy! General steps below but loads of videos on youtube:

1. Put roof about halfway up then remove storage cubby/Bose unit

2. Remove plastic carpet fasteners and carpet then remove engine hatch (10mm bolts & nuts)

3. Get a 24mm socket on the tensioner pulley and push down

4. Remove belt then repeat steps in reverse

Make a drawing or take a pic of the belt route first, looks straightforward, but you take it off and forget !!

14 hours ago, phazed said:

With the roof in the service position even if you have unlocked the cubby hole it won’t lift up enough if it’s a glass back window 

new front brake pads in - old ones were very well worn having done 6 trackdays.

awkwardly, brake light stayed on - turns out the rear pads had got hot, and melted the sensor wire. so thats been snipped and soldered together. i'll just have to check rear pad wear myself from now on.

I wonder if you have a semi seized caliper. It would be worth trying to push the brake pads back to make sure the pistons are all free and moving.

12 hours ago, bally4563 said:

With the roof in the service position even if you have unlocked the cubby hole it won’t lift up enough if it’s a glass back window 

It just needs to be released so you can access the four plastic nuts that secures the carpet 

This year was a very expensive year, lots of £££ gone into the car but now the car is perfect,

Yesterday I picked the car after having new front disks and pads, cleaning and lubing the wheel bearings, replacing both AC condensers and re-gassing and carrying major service + brakes fluid.

Had a great joy driving roof down today, what a lovely car.

• Like 3

48 hours late but was nice weather on Friday so the Boxster got a clean and original rear lights out back on. Friend of a friend has however offered me first refusal on his 981 - very tempted 😀 But that would mean selling the 987S that i only bought in May!

• Like 1

After all my recent brake work, pleased to say it passed MOT with no advisories and the tester said the car looked in amazing condition. I think the Lanoguard I used makes the whole area behind the wheels look really cared for, so I’m glad I took the time to treat each corner while all the wheels were off.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2024 at 3:55 PM, mark-yorkshire said:

That is lovely and shiny - I won the wooden spoon for dirtiest car (again!) at our regular group meet at the weekend. I tried to explain that the mud was from Goodwood and therefore had historical significance but I was out-voted 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nelmo said:

That is lovely and shiny - I won the wooden spoon for dirtiest car (again!) at our regular group meet at the weekend. I tried to explain that the mud was from Goodwood and therefore had historical significance but I was out-voted 🙂 

I was driving around Goodwood on Sunday, and can vouch for that. 😉