What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Eventually got round to sorting outdoor power supply and several CTEK extension cables to get it hooked up to keep the battery maintained. That and the bluetooth battery monitor means I no longer have to worry about it getting too flat to even use the remote to open the doors like it did after a couple of weeks away 🙂

2 hours ago, Babaa said:

Eventually got round to sorting outdoor power supply and several CTEK extension cables to get it hooked up to keep the battery maintained. That and the bluetooth battery monitor means I no longer have to worry about it getting too flat to even use the remote to open the doors like it did after a couple of weeks away 🙂

CTEK good kit but remote not working after a week or so is deliberate.  

car goes on to deep sleep.  Stops listening to the remote.  You can just lift the door handle to wake it up.  

Mine still sleeps while on Ctek. Just a quick lift of the drivers door handle is enough to wake it. 

Drove it.

Parked up, noticed new inch and a bit long scratch on inside of driver's window (guessing something rubbed against the inside last time I had the window down fully - non repeatable whatever it was). I could feel scratch with my thumb nail.

Polished out said scratch with a little manual elbow grease and some Autoglym scratch remover (not designed for glass) which did the job.

Happy days.

zyeos33.jpg

Applying some Gyeon fabric Q after giving the top a good clean, Had to do some extensive taping up and covering the bodywork as it’s supposedly a bit of a pain to get off paintwork once it dries!

Edited by Y7TSY
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 10:31 PM, Paul P said:

CTEK good kit but remote not working after a week or so is deliberate.  

car goes on to deep sleep.  Stops listening to the remote.  You can just lift the door handle to wake it up.  

Mine still sleeps while on Ctek. Just a quick lift of the drivers door handle is enough to wake it. 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip on that, but the remote battery monitor I have isn't the CTEK one that goes with the charger. Looks like first day or so it charged up from around 12.5v to 15v and since then almost dropped to just over 13v - but now remains constant at that mark instead of it dropping each day without use before I got round to hooking it up.

Will hopefully get time to take it out for a drive at the weekend and see what the pattern is when I connect up again after, but does now seem to be keeping it at a constant 13v instead of it dropping daily.

Cheers

Managed to get round to switching over steering wheels to the already re-trimmed one I got from CliveH on here.

As per the videos it was a bit fiddly with the end of an allen key to get it to push evenly on the airbag release to get both sides to pop loose at the same time but did only take 2-3 mins. Got all re-fitted and torque tightened and was hoping / thinking job was all good, but then after re-connecting the battery and trying, I got a few warning messages on startup ☹️.

Think from memory it was PSM not working, something to do with a steering based light not working and another PSM error related message - so tried wheel turned full lock in both directions a few times but no difference and also just key on & off didn't change any either so though it would be problems...

However, after actually starting the engine and leaving running for a few mins / driving off and back on the driveway, they all cleared within a minute or 2, so hoping that maybe more down to me just disconnecting the battery for 20 mins before starting the steering wheel swap, rather than something maybe steering wheel or airbag specific.

Took out for a decent drive after and stopped / started a few times and no lights back, so hoping all ok.

Wasn't sure if I'd prefer the black & red with textured trim compared to the standard plain black (as car & trim all black), but really like it. Nicely padded and thicker overall (which is what I was after), and also doesn't really feel like the overall wheel is much / any bigger, so a win all round & thanks CliveH for selling it 👍

IMG_7069

IMG_7067

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babaa said:

Managed to get round to switching over steering wheels to the already re-trimmed one I got from CliveH on here.

As per the videos it was a bit fiddly with the end of an allen key to get it to push evenly on the airbag release to get both sides to pop loose at the same time but did only take 2-3 mins. Got all re-fitted and torque tightened and was hoping / thinking job was all good, but then after re-connecting the battery and trying, I got a few warning messages on startup ☹️.

Think from memory it was PSM not working, something to do with a steering based light not working and another PSM error related message - so tried wheel turned full lock in both directions a few times but no difference and also just key on & off didn't change any either so though it would be problems...

However, after actually starting the engine and leaving running for a few mins / driving off and back on the driveway, they all cleared within a minute or 2, so hoping that maybe more down to me just disconnecting the battery for 20 mins before starting the steering wheel swap, rather than something maybe steering wheel or airbag specific.

Took out for a decent drive after and stopped / started a few times and no lights back, so hoping all ok.

Wasn't sure if I'd prefer the black & red with textured trim compared to the standard plain black (as car & trim all black), but really like it. Nicely padded and thicker overall (which is what I was after), and also doesn't really feel like the overall wheel is much / any bigger, so a win all round & thanks CliveH for selling it 👍

IMG_7069

IMG_7067

PSM errors after battery reconnect are “standard”. There is a set procedure (turn wheel left 20 degrees then centre then right 20 deg then centre then drive forward a few feet at more than 5 mph or something similar) but a “drive round the block” is the normal fix. 

You may also have to reset the window top position so that one touch open and close works.  From memory that’s close let go, close again and hold for a couple of seconds, then open all the way. Let go. Open again for a few seconds. Do that both sides.

wheel looks nice.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

PSM errors after battery reconnect are “standard”. There is a set procedure (turn wheel left 20 degrees then centre then right 20 deg then centre then drive forward a few feet at more than 5 mph or something similar) but a “drive round the block” is the normal fix. 

You may also have to reset the window top position so that one touch open and close works.  From memory that’s close let go, close again and hold for a couple of seconds, then open all the way. Let go. Open again for a few seconds. Do that both sides.

wheel looks nice.   

Ah - didn't know that there was a set process for this, but I guess kind of accidentally I followed pretty much those steps for clearing the errors, and good to know I may need to rest the windows too as wouldn't have thought of trying that 👍.

Cheers - am happy with it too as initially was thinking with only black with grey stitching everywhere else that it may not work / look a bit out of place with the red stitching, but I think the needles, calipers are enough to tie it together.

Picked up a new fuel filler cap and wheel hanger tool thing from OPC Silverstone yesterday. Good price anyway but got a 10% discount, just for asking 😀.

Also spotted a couple of 70 plates awaiting collection whilst there, a Taycan in red with black wheels and another in white.

I can relate to that! If Porsche is generous enough to through in a pen holder then it has to be used.

Mind, it took several weeks of ownership of my 987 before I realised that if you release the cup holders you can then lock them in place by pressing back the tab that releases them from storage. I thought that watching them swing from side to side when cornering was just part of the Porsche experience!

37 minutes ago, Gdaybruce said:

I can relate to that! If Porsche is generous enough to through in a pen holder then it has to be used.

Mind, it took several weeks of ownership of my 987 before I realised that if you release the cup holders you can then lock them in place by pressing back the tab that releases them from storage. I thought that watching them swing from side to side when cornering was just part of the Porsche experience!

You aren't the first, have you discovered "parking lights" and "the little hook on the petrol flap to hang the filler cap over so it doesn't bump the wing" yet?

Every pen I have tried in the pen holder hasn't fitted. (and I would prefer a pencil - doesn't leak and won't need mouth to mouth resuscitation when I need to use it)

32 minutes ago, Paul P said:

You aren't the first, have you discovered "parking lights" and "the little hook on the petrol flap to hang the filler cap over so it doesn't bump the wing" yet?

Every pen I have tried in the pen holder hasn't fitted. (and I would prefer a pencil - doesn't leak and won't need mouth to mouth resuscitation when I need to use it)

Substituted Pen (papermate) for Pencil (papermate). This forum just hit the glass ceiling for excitement.

50296968898_a8c081fee4_b.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

Page 143 of the owner's manual: 

Pen holder
A pen can be clipped in on the right side of the CD holder.

You're welcome mate :lol:

So by putting a pencil in I've put a non-compliant part in ? Is that what you're telling me ? 🤣

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Substituted Pen (papermate) for Pencil (papermate). This forum just hit the glass ceiling for excitement.

We are, indeed, living in exciting times....  Almost worthy of a new thread: "Show me your pen..." (Oooer, that sounds a bit wrong...) :lol:

Just now, Davey P said:

We are, indeed, living in exciting times....  Almost worthy of a new thread: "Show me your pen..." (Oooer, that sounds a bit wrong...) :lol:

Suspect that would eventually result in follow on threads of Things which can never be unseen and Have you seen my mind bleach 🤣

• Haha 1