What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Picked up a new door check strap from my local Porsche dealer for a very reasonable £27, it's a lot bigger and more substantial than the bit you see poking out the door! Took about 30 mins to take the door card off, remove the old one, fit the new one then pop the door card back on. Result is a nice quiet door that doesn't sound like it's going fall off every time you open it!

53807237883_6e757711ff_z.jpg

53807318664_9e38947868_z.jpg

Also found what looks like a clever fix on one of the door mounts by a previous owner, pretty sure an un-used rivet isn't standard on a plastic door card...

53807431340_c52a45328b_z.jpg

• Like 2

Today I got a coolant system yellow warning - car didnt complain it was too hot and not seeing any leaks etc

Got home and a quick DTC scan says P1433 vacuum system fault - I know from a bit of research these have COV's - no idea how many of if any are more likely to fail. I do have PSE and from a 3 second internet this is one suspect as it is all part of the vacuum setup

guess its time to have a look at the engine after all...??

any pointers or suggestions from peeps?

vacuum leak - I get it every time my TopGear exhaust solenoid fails.

That didn't stop Eporsch from miss-diagnosing it to two different vacuum switch valves first.

Porsche known fault for all 9x1 s. They have redesigned the switch valves and you now require an adaption loom too....but yet again not a free recall - there are 7-9 valves on each car from memory.

Mine runs 12-20 deg higher with the fault, but can be reduced almost back to normal temps by switching on Sports or Sports plus as this ups the output of water and oil pumps.  Runs a tad ruff when cold and obviously uses a bit more fuel too. I'm currently waiting for exhaust valves 4&5 from Top Gear thus dealing with the issue daily.

20 minutes ago, Patt said:

That didn't stop Eporsch from miss-diagnosing it to two different vacuum switch valves first.

Porsche known fault for all 9x1 s. They have redesigned the switch valves and you now require an adaption loom too....but yet again not a free recall - there are 7-9 valves on each car from memory.

Mine runs 12-20 deg higher with the fault, but can be reduced almost back to normal temps by switching on Sports or Sports plus as this ups the output of water and oil pumps.  Runs a tad ruff when cold and obviously uses a bit more fuel too. I'm currently waiting for exhaust valves 4&5 from Top Gear thus dealing with the issue daily.

any more info on the adaption loom part - I did read that the used to be one generic part and now its more dedicated to which one has potentially failed?

So it could be just the PSE or it could be one of the Valves??

And when you say exhaust valves 4 and 5 - did you mean that you have had 3 failures already of the solenoids?
I'm not sure what aftermarket system I have - I will look after work and try and fathom this all out

thanks @Patt

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

Today I got a coolant system yellow warning - car didnt complain it was too hot and not seeing any leaks etc

Got home and a quick DTC scan says P1433 vacuum system fault - I know from a bit of research these have COV's - no idea how many of if any are more likely to fail. I do have PSE and from a 3 second internet this is one suspect as it is all part of the vacuum setup

Yes, do NOT let any part of the engine cover edge touch to boot lid. 😧

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

Well not sure what did it

Manually operated the solenoids at the exhaust end to see if they moved and to check the position engine off
checked all hoses in that area including the centre section
Pushed the hoses on but they where in place 

started car made sure that the valves operated when vacuum came in and then that the PSE button worked

then fiddled in the Foxwell tool on anything COV - found about 5 that I could test - all seem to pass

took inside carpet out in readiness for engine looksee

Thought for a laugh I would try and clear the codes - yep cleared

Stopped and started a couple of times and not come back... not driven anywhere as yet.

So great its gone but no idea why... 
My exhaust is a DesignTek one

Had three exhaust solenoids replaced so far under warranty.  still waiting for two more.

I have no idea on the switch over valves or looms - they were all done by Eporsch who don't put part numbers on their receipts. They were their suggested fix, rather than the new exhaust with the flaps literally clattering while driving 😕

• Sad 2

My GTS has had a busy few days, performing faultlessly as usual, thank goodness. 

Last Thursday drove gently to the Eurotunnel, getting 39 mpg, en route to Spa in Belgium. My son was racing in British GT and won the GT4 category in a BMW M4. Epic race, great result.  (Proud dad mode).

Then it was off to the Dordogne for a few weeks, seemingly killing  about 4 million bugs on the way!

Car is going well as usual.

One thing I noticed was that cruising along at around 80mph the oil temp was about 102 C, putting the car into sports mode very quickly reduced that temp to 88-90C which can only be a good thing when ambient temps are nudging 30C. 

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 7:32 PM, Dubdubz said:

Well not sure what did it

Manually operated the solenoids at the exhaust end to see if they moved and to check the position engine off
checked all hoses in that area including the centre section
Pushed the hoses on but they where in place 

started car made sure that the valves operated when vacuum came in and then that the PSE button worked

then fiddled in the Foxwell tool on anything COV - found about 5 that I could test - all seem to pass

took inside carpet out in readiness for engine looksee

Thought for a laugh I would try and clear the codes - yep cleared

Stopped and started a couple of times and not come back... not driven anywhere as yet.

So great its gone but no idea why... 
My exhaust is a DesignTek one

ar*e - its back again today 😞 - wife called and said after 20minutes driving it came on. 

Feels like a long and tricky job trying to diagnose... might be quicker to replace all the COV's - think mine has 7 - not sure if there is a way to test better with Live values in Foxwell or PIWIS? anyone know?

On 6/24/2024 at 4:31 PM, Patt said:

@Patt just twigged {I think} the exhaust solenoid is leaking vacuum ? is it because this relies on vacuum to keep the exhaust valves shut and the button releases this?

So I could disconnect the vacuum lines off the and put in bungs and see then? maybe the solenoids for the aftermarket exhausts are dogpoo?

I performed a mini test - blocked the pipes to the vacuum valves on the exhaust and went for a 23 mile drive no alerts or warnings.
Got back plugged the pipes back to the vacuum valves and then got 15 miles and ping the warning came on.

Also I noticed that one on the valves feels kinda loose - I think I could hear it rattling on the drivers side. likely the solenoid valve not doing its thing...

I dont think I have a receipt so I'll probably just have to stump up for a new vacuum valve for the exhaust...

32 minutes ago, Patt said:

Yep you got it.  Try requesting a replacement as , I'm told, they send them out without question.  Must be a very common issue.

They do rattle when gone - almost sounds like days of old tappet rattle

Thank you @Patt I did order a COV too coming Friday, which whilst I might not need now can go in the spares bin. The ones used on 981’s are apparently a different one to some 991’s, and the OPC said the version/part doesn’t need a harness additional part. I’ll share the number in case this is incorrect. I gave him a 991 part (which I got from an internet search) and my car ref and he then rang back and said you’ll need this, we do have those in stock. 991 part was on back order no date. 

Also my eBay purchase of a ‘stuck’ Porsche PSE full exhaust turned up so I can see if I can unfreeze/replace/bodge. One arm is un welded, I’ll put pics on my other thread when I get to it. 

On 6/27/2024 at 7:49 AM, Patt said:

Yep you got it.  Try requesting a replacement as , I'm told, they send them out without question.  Must be a very common issue.

They do rattle when gone - almost sounds like days of old tappet rattle

thanks - I did politely suggest an exhaust and parts shouldnt fail after 4 months and 3000 miles so I should be getting 2 new vacuum valves on Monday. I think only one is gone but he suggested taking both 🙂 
COV came from Porsche this morning - which I dont need but is tiny so can stay in a cubby somewhere seeing as there is 8 of the things and they do go wrong.
7PP 906 270 is the part number for 981's - the forums tend to list 991 part# which is different??

whilst I had things apart added some extra sound deadening [left over from another project] 

rollover hoop trim removal is next as that is squeaking/rattling and wants sorting