What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Just a thought... your shroud could be counter productive as being made of metal, it will retain heat from longer and restrict any air movement from the valve. 

Might be worth covering it in heatproof material (you can get self adhesive stuff to cut to shape that I used for motorbike fairings that works well)

Edited by Bike Loon

5 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Just a thought... your shroud could be counter productive as being made of metal, it will retain heat from longer and restrict any air movement from the valve. 

Might be worth covering it in heatproof material (you can get self adhesive stuff to cut to shape that I used for motorbike fairings that works well)

I think it will be ok its really thin so doesnt hold the heat and is a similar design to the porsche original one [loosely speaking its round and has a cutout!] but I may look up the adhesive stuff you mention so thank you!

it was lovely to take her out today - missed driving it

I have also located the cause of a squeak I had been chasing - seat belt stalk! Now that the rollbar cover is sorted, dash and upper screen are not making noises - I think this is one of the last ones now! 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Door card

Door card removed, got the de lamination issue , just waiting for some glue to arrive 

That’s concerning. I was under the impression it was only a problem in hotter climates. Interested in how you get on 👍

On 7/4/2024 at 11:35 AM, Menoporsche said:

Aha. The PSE valve makes farty noises as it's made from a baked beans tin. Got it.

Could you change the tone by swapping it for a prunes tin?

57 varieties of noise out of that one.

Edited by iborguk

On 7/7/2024 at 5:29 PM, bally4563 said:

Correct adhesive and left clamped over night will sort it

All sorted , should anyone have the same issue , the amount of the correct adhesive I’ve used , don’t buy any , I will post out if the postage is covered and returned 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

All sorted , should anyone have the same issue , the amount of the correct adhesive I’ve used , don’t buy any , I will post out if the postage is covered and returned 

How much did you buy?

My drivers side is lifting, I have some normal contact adhesive, is what you have any different? 

1 hour ago, RichW426 said:

How much did you buy?

My drivers side is lifting, I have some normal contact adhesive, is what you have any different? 

Yes it’s 3M 4775  as recommended by Jeff Rirchardson on his u tube channel for said repair, you are more than welcome to borrow said adhesive, as it’s not cheap , but ensure you have clamps to be able to leave it to cure

Fitted some GTS side indicators to match my recent Rennlens headlight conversion and fitted a RaceChip XLR. 

IMHO it does sharpen up throttle response as it says on the box and if you want to play with all the combinations available you’ll have endless hours experimenting. I also bought the controller so not to be tempted to access the app on your phone whilst driving 😎👍

IMG-6110.jpg

Mrs took mine to work today, as I'm prepping her vehicle, our Merc Viano camper, for a trip to Scotland. 

I stood at the end of our tiny lane to wave her out onto the road, and revelled in the sound of the exhaust as she accelerated away. Holy cr*p, it sounded good.

• Like 1

Did the OTHER side of the exhaust with the vacuum unit as the one installed alos died and gave me the error message - I wrote on them when I changed them - should have added mileage...

did the bean can shroud thing on that one too - if they die under 3000 miles and 6 months then my mod made it worserer.

Passed the MOT. Which was good.

Especially as I've been driving without one since February 😳

Only realised when I went to tax it and it said no MOT. My brain was focused on the MOT date of the one I asked last year. Reminder has now been correctly set.

After my hols in France, noticed some discoloration on the opaque grey section on the upper edge of my headlights and on one headlight the beginnings of some of the dreaded crazing.

Popped the headlamps out by 20mm with the Porsche tool, masked up the surrounding area to the lights and draped an old pillowcase/rag to catch any compind/polish splatter.

Polished them up with some fine cutting paste  https://amzn.eu/d/0iwwiQVD.   on a small foam pad with my cordless drill. All sorted and looking like new in less than 30 mins.

Thinking of applying some PPF to give some extra protection going forward.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, andygo said:

After my hols in France, noticed some discoloration on the opaque grey section on the upper edge of my headlights and on one headlight the beginnings of some of the dreaded crazing.

Popped the headlamps out by 20mm with the Porsche tool, masked up the surrounding area to the lights and draped an old pillowcase/rag to catch any compind/polish splatter.

Polished them up with some fine cutting paste  https://amzn.eu/d/0iwwiQVD.   on a small foam pad with my cordless drill. All sorted and looking like new in less than 30 mins.

Thinking of applying some PPF to give some extra protection going forward.

got any before & after pics?

12 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

got any before & after pics?

Nope, didn't think. But the headlights look pristine now, they weren't before.

I think I saw that on FB - was there 300 cars on it? And all seemed to be Porsches?

I'd love to do some of these rallies (there are a couple of big ones not far from me) but I just don't know anyone who wants to be a passenger and read a map 😞 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nelmo said:

I think I saw that on FB - was there 300 cars on it? And all seemed to be Porsches?

I'd love to do some of these rallies (there are a couple of big ones not far from me) but I just don't know anyone who wants to be a passenger and read a map 😞 

Cotswold Rally is a Porsche Club GB event, hence all Porsches. Most event organisers these days use Google Maps routes so you don't need to follow a map. Even if you can't see the phone easily, just have it in a holder and listen to the route directions, which in many cars can be Bluetooth'd to the radio. Works very well in my 981. 

Edited by BrianJ
spelling

Ah really? That's actually less interesting - trying (and often failing) to follow a tulip map is half the fun. I did do a treasure hunt years ago with my son as navigator (before he could drive - now he wouldn't do it) and it was fun trying to navigate. Just following a satnav is too easy.... 

12 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Ah really? That's actually less interesting - trying (and often failing) to follow a tulip map is half the fun. I did do a treasure hunt years ago with my son as navigator (before he could drive - now he wouldn't do it) and it was fun trying to navigate. Just following a satnav is too easy.... 

Some still use tulip maps. I like those too, but some navigators have a tendency to throw up driving around winding, up and down roads while trying to read them. And singles can participate much more easily with Google maps.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nelmo said:

It was the annual PCGB Cotswolds rally organised by the Cotswolds region. Yes 300 Porsche’s 😎👍 Surrey have an active region.  Worth looking on the PCGB website 👍