What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

48 minutes ago, nelmo said:

I'm not a member of the Porsche club - can you join in any event or only the ones in your local area?

Yep as Greenman986s says. Surrey are quite active I think. I know some regions are more active than others. The Cotswolds being a good example of a very active region with all sorts going on all through the year 👍 

It's a national club so you can go to anything. Courteous to ask the organiser if you are from outside the region. They also have model-related events (eg Boxster!).

Picked it up from local Indy in Glasgow after interm / 60ishK Service.  All good, impeccable service from George Morrison Motors as ever - such a great place to go, so knowledgeable and genuinely helpful.

OPC had quoted about £1100-1300 for this, and it was well under £700 which I'm quite happy to pay.  Included panel off drain clearing too which is always cool (including the removal of the over zealous filter plug things)

• Like 2

'Fitted' a Chinese centre console cup holder, although 'fitted' is probably an exaggeration. 🙄

It was effectively too wide at the bottom where it has flats on the side which are supposed to fit into the original housing.

This means that the front edge sits high where it meets the rear edge of the button panel.

I'm sure that I've seen a post where someone is thinking of buying one of these, but I can't find it.

My advice is: don't buy one without a recommendation from someone who found one with a good fit.

Having said that, it look like it will do the job quite well.

PXL-20240805-114525547-EDIT.jpg

PXL-20240805-114510945-EDIT.jpg

PXL-20240805-114500610-EDIT.jpg

PXL-20240805-114824842-EDIT.jpg

Went to the Bicester Heritage car meet at the weekend, did a bit of a leaflet drop to drum up some car art and took very very many pictures. After that I decided while I was in that neck of the woods I'd seek out the roads featured on Harry's Garage and a couple of other youtube channels I watch.

That was all of Saturday used up but luckily the Mrs had already agreed to go along to Leeds Castle for the Motors at the Moat show. There were more people but less cars that caught my eye, though still some interesting stuff.

For both events this Porsche has been the perfect tool for the job.

Despite all the picture taking (over 500) I didn't get a single photo of my own car 🤣

981 mr12volt install and upgrade of HDD to SSD!  So so much better with CarPlay, and the SSD should prevent any issues in the future.  

Opening up the PCM was not for the faint-hearted, and I had to buy some equipment for the HDD cloning.  Happy to help in case anyone needs advice on doing the same.  A pair of essential upgrades for the 981, IMHO!

5072584C-1FEA-4AC1-8CDF-4B0881A63B04.jpeg

403E29C5-EECE-4650-86CF-277147242DC3.jpeg

76BA91E7-C149-4AD7-A6A0-DDF9F3B3CC72.jpeg

196575E4-8A0D-4C7A-A834-2BFD6F361334.jpeg

DFCFDCFB-15D7-47FD-9D00-2819381B1ECF.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg

• Like 2

Further to my earlier posts on headlamp crazing, I purchased a  headlamp PPF kit from a company called DIY PPF.

For £35 I thought its worth a go, especially as I was quoted over £200 for fitting of Xpel film.

The kit arrived promptly and following the various DIY youtube videos, I cracked on.

Slightly tricky at first, but once I had the hang of it, took about 30mins per side to apply. I'd post a photo of the end result, but not a lot to see, looks like a shiny headlight!

Seems well worth it IMHO.

https://diyppf.co.uk/

• Like 3

On 8/16/2024 at 8:10 AM, scaramanga said:

981 mr12volt install and upgrade of HDD to SSD!  So so much better with CarPlay, and the SSD should prevent any issues in the future.  

Opening up the PCM was not for the faint-hearted, and I had to buy some equipment for the HDD cloning.  Happy to help in case anyone needs advice on doing the same.  A pair of essential upgrades for the 981, IMHO!

IMG_2265.jpeg

Is the cloning just to move over the Jukebox music or for other necessary stuff? A year after buying my car and I've still got the previous owner's music on it so that guess to show how much I use that (never).

Giving this some thought. Don't use the car at all as a daily so it wouldn't make much difference but I agree the standard system dates the dash.

Weighing up the benefit of opening up the PCM or just swapping it out with a replacement box. The latter seems more "plug and play" and can mothball the unmodified stock unit in case a future owner wants the antiquated originality.

44 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Is the cloning just to move over the Jukebox music or for other necessary stuff? A year after buying my car and I've still got the previous owner's music on it so that guess to show how much I use that (never).

Giving this some thought. Don't use the car at all as a daily so it wouldn't make much difference but I agree the standard system dates the dash.

Weighing up the benefit of opening up the PCM or just swapping it out with a replacement box. The latter seems more "plug and play" and can mothball the unmodified stock unit in case a future owner wants the antiquated originality.

Apparently the HDDs in the PCM can fail so the SSD upgrade was really just preventative maintenance.  (There was no music on the HDD, and I don’t know how to get music on it).

I didn’t like the idea of an after-market head unit, so loved the compatibility of the mr12volt interface.  Keeps the factory/OEM look but adds the functionality of CarPlay which (for me) is very valuable. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2024 at 8:10 AM, scaramanga said:

IMG_2265.jpeg

Does the MR12volt version have an external box which needs installing or is it just a daughter board install inside the PCM?

I went with an early version of the Isudar version, due to the simplicity of the install (no external box), but the sound quality isn't great, and the interface (for Android Auto) is glitchy in my opinion.

I've considered swapping to Mr12Volt, the thought of trying to squeeze another interface box into the already congested dash area is a little daunting

3 hours ago, Justchris said:

Does the MR12volt version have an external box which needs installing or is it just a daughter board install inside the PCM?

I went with an early version of the Isudar version, due to the simplicity of the install (no external box), but the sound quality isn't great, and the interface (for Android Auto) is glitchy in my opinion.

I've considered swapping to Mr12Volt, the thought of trying to squeeze another interface box into the already congested dash area is a little daunting

I have an NM Automotive system in my car, appears to be very similar to the Mr 12 volt kit. (Probably from the same manufacturer actually).

I found the easiest place to place the extra box of tricks was tucked under the carpet in the passenger footwell, up close to the glovebox. It's completely hidden and easy to get to I thought if it needed to be inspected etc at a later date. Trying to stuff it behind the dash seemed a lot more awkward and more prone to trapped wires, vibration and heat issues.

6 hours ago, andygo said:

I have an NM Automotive system in my car, appears to be very similar to the Mr 12 volt kit. (Probably from the same manufacturer actually).

I found the easiest place to place the extra box of tricks was tucked under the carpet in the passenger footwell, up close to the glovebox. It's completely hidden and easy to get to I thought if it needed to be inspected etc at a later date. Trying to stuff it behind the dash seemed a lot more awkward and more prone to trapped wires, vibration and heat issues.

This is exactly where mine went for a semi permanent trial spot. The Mr 12volt does have the bose fibre connection and is pretty good. very fast connection.
Sound wise is ok but nothing to compare against - the only trouble I have is that as I have the PCM still connected via BT sometimes I get no sound - a quick off and on again fixes it. its maybe 1 in 10 times so is ok.

if you want one there is a guy on FB that does a bit of a discount -UK reseller - nothing in it for me but can pass on details if its what you decide

20 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

the only trouble I have is that as I have the PCM still connected via BT sometimes I get no sound - a quick off and on again fixes it. its maybe 1 in 10 times so is ok.

If you unpair the phone from the car BT and simply use the CarPlay phone connection for phone , that overcomes the issue of the occasional no sound - its been flawless since i unpaired the phone from the PCM

• Like 2

Fitted genuine Porsche 981 Spyder ducktail. Well-chuffed. Been back and forth with the decision to buy one since I bought the car 7.5 years ago!

• Like 2

Picked up 718 GT style wheel and airbag. Yet to fit, as need to send it to Royal for a retrim in Alcantara - deal on a brand new leather one and leather airbag was too good to pass up. 
need to fit it before sending off to see if I need the gpsadapter - just came across a US YouTube vid where same spec wheel and car, all worked right out of the box so fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Fitted genuine Porsche 981 Spyder ducktail. Well-chuffed. Been back and forth with the decision to buy one since I bought the car 7.5 years ago!

Pictures would be great?

Dont forget if you want some nice Spyder rear lights to match your spoiler I’ve got some for sale 😂 They would look great with the red roof and grey paint 😎

Mr12Volt installed to my PCM3.1 with Bose, ahead of roadtrip to France and Germany for 7 days with @Saxosim (and with our better halves for the first time). Made the decision primarily for running Waze on h/unit rather than phone on a holder, following a bigger 10 day Euro trip same time last year with a mate as passenger.

initially put off the Mr12V option due to the need to locate the additional, separate box, but better audio quality (mos optical vs aux input) led me back to go this route. Lots of YouTube videos consumed over the last 3-4 weeks, and I went for it yesterday as the weather too blustery to get out on the bike. Took my time and happy to report the pcm unit extracted, opened up, board installed and all put back together without any issues whatsoever. As others have said, shoving the additional harness bulk back in and out of the way to allow the head unit to seat back in, is probably the trickiest part.

sadly and probably selfishly given the wealth of support & usefulness I’ve found articles and how-to’s on this very forum over the 7 years I’ve owned my BGTS, I have not taken any pictures of the installation process. I was more concerned about ensuring I didn’t feck anything up, mark my carbon trim or extended leather, but in my defence any pictures or commentary would not add anything further to those that have braved the task before me.. easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission 😀

final job of the long weekend which started Friday with me and @Saxosim thoroughly deep cleaning the bodywork, decontamination and applying ceramic coating  of both our cars, was refitting the Zunsport grilles which have been off since MOT 2022!

just the 718 GT m/fnctn wheel to send off to Royal, and fit on it’s return, and I’m all set! (Been treating the BGTS to some love (£££’s😂) in the last month, what with all the above and an OEM Spyder ducktail). 

David 

• Like 1