What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

gutted for you.

The cables on my old 986 rear were about to snap - I got lucky and spotted it in time to effect a repair.

p.s. don't forget to salvage your black badges before scrapping that lid 😉

• Thanks 1

Cleaned the roof. It was looking a bit greenish in places, so got some fabric cleaner and sorted that out, let it dry then applied 2 coats of Fabsil protector. Beading is in effect!

• Like 4

Was under the frunk and getting to know my new (to me) 981.

Hardwiring in a battery charging cable and general clean up. Noticed the pre-filter 😳

Car was to have its 10 year service before I picked it up from the independent dealer last week…………….! 
Got me thinking about other service items……….surely they wouldn’t have missed those……

Took off the rear boot seal with a bit of effort- it was glued in like it had never ever been removed-car is 10 years old…..

I Carried out the removal tasks to get the air filters out on both sides and was amazed to find………..choked filters and leaves and stones and debris inside both air intake ducts 😳 Honestly I would almost say they were the original ones?!! Porsche schedule would indicate they had been done at 8 years (by an OPC) and 10,000 miles ago in 2022.

I am never ever reassured unless I see stuff for myself. The older I get ,the less I trust anyone to do a job right!

Sad, but true.

IMG_2118 IMG_2119

IMG_2162

IMG_2151

IMG_2153

• Sad 1

Unfortunately, I feel this is par for the course. Most Porsche owners just trust the OPC to do the procedures they are paid (handsomely) to do. In my experience I feel a proportion of them just take the mickey, safe in the knowledge that most customers haven't a clue.

And here’s the thing you get punished for not having a fully stamped up book . as against documented history , pics , receipts of parts  etc of work carried out by your self……Go figure?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ribroaster3 said:

Not that makes any sense to me…………..?

IMG_3027

See what you mean.  The 987 one in mine had a manufacture date on it.  

They seam to be genuine.  Think it’s 6 year interval for air filters in the 981 so I guess they could have been in there for 4 years.  

The fact they are dirty does mean they are working at least.  

• Like 1

6 years  - FFS that is ridiculous.

An air filter would be every service on another marque ! They are not exactly expensive.

I clean mine and re-oil every year. (aftermarket)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patt said:

An air filter would be every service on another marque ! They are not exactly expensive.

I've never understood the service intervals for Porsche being every 2 years, it just seems too long to me ☹️ Since I've had the Cayman it has been serviced every year at Dove House, even though my annual mileage is only around 4000 miles. 

2 hours ago, Patt said:

No they are not these days.  36k miles/4yrs on my SEAT

My 986's cabin filter that is 21 months and sub 8k miles looks much the same as the pics above.

F*ing crazy how a filter can last 4 times as long these days when it's breathing the same (or maybe more polluted) air as years gone by.

I service any car annually and if you saw the state of my air filters each year, you wouldn't leave it that long.  Hell just to clean out the debris in the tubes would be enough to scare most people.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I've never understood the service intervals for Porsche being every 2 years, it just seems too long to me ☹️ Since I've had the Cayman it has been serviced every year at Dove House, even though my annual mileage is only around 4000 miles. 

Had an Audi A4 for 14 years - bought with 2800 miles on it at year old - traded against my 1st boxster (got £1200 for it) with close on 200K on it - serviced on the 18K/2 year interval to the Audi schedule. It needed valve stem oil seals doing by the time I traded it - but otherwise it did the daily commute and the runs to Le Mans.

That was enougnh to convince me the manufacturers schedule was viable.

• Like 1

Picked up a leather armrest cover on eBay as mine has the standard hard Plastic one. Went to fit it this morning and it turns out I have inadvertently managed to buy an extended leather cover which came on the 991.2 (it has more space inside the lid). Which is a bit annoying as the plastic + metal bottom part of my current lid is now too small to fit without bodging with extra long screws. But Ok I thought, maybe having more storage space is a good thing so I called my local Porsche centre with the part numbers for the extended one, ordered it for a reasonable £72 for the new lid & spring. I then thought I'd look up how much the leather bit is new - over £1000 😱

53977100126_4af57cb8e5_z.jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Dropped it off at Porsche this morning for a new PDK gearbox and left hand PSE to be fitted

What was the issue with the gearbox please? Any warning symptoms?

12 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

@andygoOld PDK box has a slight oil leak and Porsche don't repair they just replace. Its been taken care of under warranty so I'm not complaining. 

I'll bet you aren't complaining! Result I would say.

• Haha 1