What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Removed my headlights and sent them off to Neil at Rennlens for a full refurbishment 👍

In the headlight aperture I discovered an slightly odd wire cable leading somewhere from nowhere 🤔

Anybody got ideas what it might be…….?? It’s not a test-I’m genuinely curious 🧐 

IMG_2388

IMG_2379

IMG_2378

1 hour ago, ribroaster3 said:

Removed my headlights and sent them off to Neil at Rennlens for a full refurbishment

Met Neil a couple of mths back when I picked up my GT4 style headlights on an exchange basis. Really nice guy and very helpful 👍

IMG-6095.jpg

IMG-6096.jpg

• Like 1

My car is in at Porsche at the moment and degraded headlights have been listed on the health check and asking if I want to give them £3403.08 for new headlights. 

I think Rennlens will be getting a call instead

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

My car is in at Porsche at the moment and degraded headlights have been listed on the health check and asking if I want to give them £3403.08 for new headlights. 

Blimey! 

7 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Are they PDLS+? Is it not covered under warranty?

45 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

So you will have £2700 left to spend on other modifications- happy days!

13 hours ago, CMA said:

Are they PDLS+? Is it not covered under warranty?

Yes PDLS+

They say the headlights go like that due to 'external influences'. Mine has gone at the top of headlight where the black band is, so could have been caused by a detailer not masking off the headlight whilst polishing and going through the UV coating

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Yes PDLS+

They say the headlights go like that due to 'external influences'. Mine has gone at the top of headlight where the black band is, so could have been caused by a detailer not masking off the headlight whilst polishing and going through the UV coating

I've polished mine a few times with no marring.  I can't see how a compound can cause anything but light scratches (think sanding marks)

55 minutes ago, Patt said:

I've polished mine a few times with no marring.  I can't see how a compound can cause anything but light scratches (think sanding marks)

Isn’t the issue that polishing remove a surface layer of UV protection which leaves the headlight open to UV damage?

I don't know enough about the UV protection to comment. 

I do know that most compounds remove such a microscopic layer that you would need to use a very harsh abrasive or polish them a hell of a lot.

I've used various compounds on mine, and other Pcars and marques over the years will no effects.  One of mine even has PPF on it, and I polish that too without any visible marring afterwards.(obviously I only use a mild compound on PPF)

I've had one unit replaced (under warranty) so I now hoe one side with, the other without PPF.

I've not bothered fitting some PPF as I have plans to modify them....and then I'll add PPF to them both.

Car now back from having PDK gearbox and left PSE replaced plus 4 wheel alignment under warranty. Slapped with a whopping bill of £6.04 pence! I was missing 2 bolts that have just dropped out of the right side manifold :worried:.

So far the new box doesn't feel any different just the car is slightly quieter with both exhaust flaps working.

I do seem to have black chrome exhaust tips?? I never knew that, just thought they were painted black! Looks like they have vapour blasted the tailpipe clean again :bana:

13 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Car now back from having PDK gearbox and left PSE replaced plus 4 wheel alignment under warranty. Slapped with a whopping bill of £6.04 pence! I was missing 2 bolts that have just dropped out of the right side manifold :worried:.

So far the new box doesn't feel any different just the car is slightly quieter with both exhaust flaps working.

I do seem to have black chrome exhaust tips?? I never knew that, just thought they were painted black! Looks like they have vapour blasted the tailpipe clean again :bana:

If you are struggling for the £6.04 Tony, will see if we can get a whip round organised!!

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Blimey, how come it needed the PDK box? 

I've donated 50p 

4 hours ago, Cocky said:

Blimey, how come it needed the PDK box? 

I've donated 50p 

I asked the same question. It was an oil leak. I haven't donated anything as I'm saving up for some oil to dunk my gearbox in so Porsche will swap my it for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, andygo said:

I asked the same question. It was an oil leak. I haven't donated anything as I'm saving up for some oil to dunk my gearbox in so Porsche will swap my it for me.

I heard TD used Manuka Honey 

Fitted my newly refurbished PDLS headlights. Amazing work by Neil at Rennlens as recommended on here by others.

lights actually look brand new.

He was super helpful guiding me through the whole process start to finish and answering queries out of hours.

Highly recommended 👌👌👌👌

IMG_2421

IMG_2420

IMG_2419

• Like 3

got a warning light on the dash- {separate note these 981's do seem to be a bit delicate or chatty} - which said something about coolant levels and then vanished...

So I waited till it was cold at lunch time and then topped it up...

It needed a LITRE OF COOLANT 

which seems a lot?? - where do I look for leaks? as this seems excessive... admittedly I've not checked it in my ownership - think I took the cap of when I bought it to check for mayonnaise but cant say I recall clocking the level at the time

I've got about 300 miles to do over the weekend so I'll check again then?