Rear hard cubby stretched my rear window

charliecwmboi

Hi All,

I've recently got myself a my97 2.5, wanted to make the sound system a bit better.

So I went and bought a 996 coupe 6x40 nokia amp and the hard rear cubby, cut some mounting plates and fitted bass face oval speakers to it and put it in the car.

Dropped the hood, went for a drive, the hood was down for most of the day.

Once I closed the hood at the end of the day, I noticed bulb like stretch marks on each bottom corners of the screen, this didn't happen with the standard material cubby..

I didn't notice that this was mentioned on any forums when others did the radio 6 way speaker mod...

Has anyone had experience of this?

The screen material is pretty flexible and after a few days it has recovered back to its normal condition.

The cubby is out and for sale on gumtree.

Cheers

Chris

IMG_20200916_084459_compress21.jpg

3 hours ago, charliecwmboi said:

Hi, sorry didn't take pic of where it stretched, was bricking it, thinking I'd knackered my screen.

Screenshot_20200921-154442_compress4.jpg

I have the rear speakers fitted as standard. To be honest I always assumed it was normal but I always get stretch marks in the window where you've indicated when its been down. They've  never been permanent though and the window returns to normal after a few hours.

These stretch marks may not be related.  Unless you do the 'Boxster Chop' to put the fold in the rear screen when you lower it, this is where the points in the folding crease push to the edge of the vinyl and it will eventually split.   The do disappear with warmth and tension but they do weaken the material particularly if you do it when it is a bit colder, less than 10°C, and the vinyl is less flexible.

Thanks for the replies 1/2cwt and jonogt6, I've only had the car 2 months so still getting to know the little quirks. The pvcu rear cubby doesn't stress the rear window like the hard one did so when I saw the stretch marks really close to the stitching joints, it was an "oh s*"t" moment, so out it came. Shame, sounded good too, I've got some speaker cloth on order as well...

Archived