PSM Fault

Dermot

My 981 threw this on the way home today.  I stopped after a bit and cycled the ignition on and off.  It cleared but after the first bits of bumpy road it triggered again.

I don't have a code reader, any suggestions.

Unknown-1.thumb.jpg.cbdcf70962c2139101aab237f0cc30b8.jpg

Thanks, I don't have a code reader,  would anyone like to recommend one that works well on 981's

I also get Auto Start/Stop deactivated message.  I guess it is all related.  I was out for about 90min with the top down and the heater on full.

Just now, Dermot said:

Thanks, I don't have a code reader,  would anyone like to recommend one that works well on 981's

I also get Auto Start/Stop deactivated message.  I guess it is all related.  I was out for about 90min with the top down and the heater on full.

I'd guess battery if both the PSM message and auto stop/start isn't working but I am guessing , they could be unrelated faults.

Heater on and Psm and stop start faults.   

reckon that’s brake bush. Seems to be heater full on that triggers the chain of events. Foot brake sticks on slightly due to a plastic bush on the pedal assembly.  Worse when the heater is in. 

theres

an updated part apparently , fiddly to do but you may find opc or indy cheap enough to make it someone else’s problem.  

Re scanners depends how much you want to spend - heard some good reports re the iCarSoft range of scanners

Durametric is pretty good - you'd need the Durametric Pro for writing config as opposed to just reading codes.

Edited by iborguk

Yeh looks like bushes could be a likely culprit if that thread above is any guide. One other thing that does occur to be though is tyre pressures. In particular if you have different pressures on your rear tyres, this tend to confuse traction control systems.

Had the same a couple of years ago, as the car was then 7 years old I changed the battery. 

The same message came up a week or so back after a long period of little use. Suggested low voltage maybe🧐.

Thanks for all the help. I did have the heater on full for the whole drive (1hr).   So in order of probability.  Would an iCarSoft scan distinguish any of these. 

Brake Pedal Bush

Brake Switch

Coils

Battery

Can anyone help with part #'s

There’s a pic on here somewhere of the old and updated bush, they’re different colours so you can stick your head under the dash and check if you’ve got the old or new bush fitted. I think Porsche fitted the updated part from 2013>but not 100% on that. 

@Dermot - well I've learnt something new today and another thing to look out for on my travels...

Couldn't have helped with that issue but I did spot your other ride...

My Ride:Ferrari 458 Italia and 981 Boxster 2.7L

Coincidentally I finished this painting just this morning... 😀

7SKvgYz.jpg

@Moospeed - I actually traded it in at DIck Lovett's last summer for a 488GTB .

I have order some updated brake pedal bushes from Design 911.  I don't have the confidence to change them myself.  Anyone near to Oxford.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi - I'm new to 981 Boxster ownership although I've been lurking on this forum for a while. 

Had a cracking top down run through the Cotswolds earlier this week, heater full on then guess what, PSM fault followed by stop/start disabled.

After a short lived panic & search on this forum, I found this thread. Low & behold, cold day today & the fault codes have all gone presumably meaning another brake pedal bush issue. Assuming this lasts then I'll look toward getting the bushes changed at the next service

So, what a cracking resource this place is. A big thanks to all the contributors; it's very reassuring to have this wealth of info available so easily!👍 

Richard

Edited by muddypaws
signature
  • Like 1

what sort of sort is it for a DIYer?   havent had the issue but its probably only a matter of time as im the same top down heater on my feet.  

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 5:36 PM, Dermot said:

My 981 threw this on the way home today.  I stopped after a bit and cycled the ignition on and off.  It cleared but after the first bits of bumpy road it triggered again.

I don't have a code reader, any suggestions.

Unknown-1.thumb.jpg.cbdcf70962c2139101aab237f0cc30b8.jpg

Had it happen again a while back whilst on the M1 on cruise. Cruise dropped out PSM fault. Left the battery on charge over night and no problem the second similar journey.

Happened couple of days ago not on cruise😬.

Could it be an intermittent abs sensor failure on a wheel?

Researched and a similar result:

Found a video on a 911 showing a similar problem and was an abs sensor fault on one wheel.

Is your problem resolved?

14 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

My 718 would do that if it hadn't been used for a while, once I started leaving it on a trickle charger it stopped doing it.

14 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

went through all that+new battery.

From what I've investigated some roads could lead to speed sensor fault. Replacing them all anyway, easy as they are all the same part and held on by one small torx bolt.

Takes about 30 mins per side and most of that is jacking up the car and removing the wheels

part number: 991 606 407 01.

Edited by mneil
predictive