anyone fitted DSC controller to 987S

glen wells

Don’t generally come up secondhand, so you are in at a grand, but supposedly make the PASM , work much better.

I am constantly looking out for a second hand one,but not going down the 1 grand route!!

• 6 months later...

I have one on my 987.1 was a group buy from Nine Excellence in Horley.

On a 987.1 you do have to buy an additional g-force box.

it’s a expensive piece of kit but it transforms the handling of PASM cars.

You can tune it via a laptop as well it’s very easy. 

cannot recommend this upgrade enough 

6 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

@JonStaHow do you know:lamer:😆

I've emailed Nine Excellence as they have them on the their website for £1300, not sure if that includes vat though... or if they have any in stock.

Because I've tried it with so many different things in the past - from guitars to Harley parts. I did come out on top a couple of times...

$1290 in the US which is £1026. Time you've added VAT and carriage it's probably the same. Unless you can persuade them to mark it 'repaired under warranty- no duty payable'. Which is illegal. If I had done this in the past I would have received a letter from customs stating that if I tried this again they would investigate and I would be liable for their findings......

If you knew someone who was visiting the US they could pick one up and stick it in their luggage but even then they'll see it on the x-ray. If they had an invoice for $150...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, huytonman said:

Ive been considering this one..https://parr-uk.co.uk/product/dsc-sport-pasm-control-unit/

Keith

That's another DSC sport product, same as 9 Excellence advertise. I've contacted them and its a 12 week wait due to chip shortages.

Not sure I can imagine what the advantages of this kit are. I have a 987.1 with PASM.

On the standard road setting the ride is excellent, I can’t imagine it being better, certainly for a sports car.

I have used the car 3 times on track, open pit track days, the last being last week so the experience is still fresh in my mind. I use a set of sticky track tyres, otherwise car is standard. Handling and ride with the sports setting active is superb. Cadwell Park was executed without drama and with total confidence.  Last week’s track day was organised by the TVR car club with about 40 TVR’s in attendance, many being 400bhp +. The little Boxster S was quicker around the circuit than all of them.

Point is, the standard suspension setup is truly excellent. Why mess with something that has had millions spent on its development?

Happy to hear about genuine improvement with this kit, (not the usual, “the difference was night and day “ response which it clearly can’t be).

BTW, I haven’t got those extra little braces fitted to the front turrets. The thought of them making  the slightest bit of difference braking from 130 at the end of the main straight and peeling into the first left-hander at about 95 mph is ridiculous!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phazed said:

Not sure I can imagine what the advantages of this kit are. I have a 987.1 with PASM.

On the standard road setting the ride is excellent, I can’t imagine it being better, certainly for a sports car.

BTW, I haven’t got those extra little braces fitted to the front turrets. The thought of them making  the slightest bit of difference braking from 130 at the end of the main straight and peeling into the first left-hander at about 95 mph is ridiculous!

Why are you so closed minded that you think your setup cannot possibly be improved on? Or that Porsche themselves, in their “millions spent on suspension development” designed the front strut brace and deliberately fitted the strut top brackets for a good reason?

I’m glad you’re happy with your car, but strong statements about how you can’t imagine it being improved just show your own lack of imagination.

10 hours ago, phazed said:

So if they don't make a difference why were they engineered in the first place (your own millions on development argument) and why are they on the 997 as standard?  I get that teh 987 is stiffer than the 986 which also has them as standard, however in track use any improvement in shell stiffness would surely be a benefit.  You are clearly an experienced track driver and whether it is only detectable by a Porsche test driver in back to back testing is a different matter, but Porsche still went to the effort and cost to make the shell accept them.

Now on the after market, what about the additional stiffness of a Technobrace/Bally brace to balance the increase in stiffness at both ends? @bally4563

Edited by ½cwt

12 hours ago, phazed said:

I have used the car 3 times on track, open pit track days, the last being last week so the experience is still fresh in my mind. I use a set of sticky track tyres, otherwise car is standard. Handling and ride with the sports setting active is superb. Cadwell Park was executed without drama and with total confidence.  Last week’s track day was organised by the TVR car club with about 40 TVR’s in attendance, many being 400bhp +. The little Boxster S was quicker around the circuit than all of them.

Point is, the standard suspension setup is truly excellent. Why mess with something that has had millions spent on its development?

Happy to hear about genuine improvement with this kit, (not the usual, “the difference was night and day “ response which it clearly can’t be).

Jeez it's only £1500. Just do it.

12 hours ago, phazed said:

Millions were spent on making the suspension mediocre, to suit the average person on average roads. Its also set up to understeer.

Guys, not wishing to stir things up, it was an honest observation

Coming from a background of modifying and tracking TVR's over the last 15 years I have found out by trial, error and cost that not everything works or is worthwhile.

I understand that Porsche have made the Boxster for the masses and a damn fine job they have done. My point is that 99% of owners drive their cars within probably about 60% of it's capability on the road and for that, the car is great. Okay, I assume with the controller you can dial in a bit more comfort for the road, dial in more reaction for the track but if we are all honest, do we need it, would we notice it. I know I haven't tried a car with it fitted but in my experience, would that little bit of difference matter? What I do know is that the Boxster drives better than most cars.

What I wouldn't like to see is people spending their cash on something that they don't need. It is up to the individual of course but in the TVR world we have come across this sort of thing many times before. As I eluded to, that old cliché, "the difference was night and day". That is laughable.

As for the front strut braces, my car hasn't the fixings on the turrets for them. To retro fit them would be a pain. If the car was wobbly on track then I would be looking at improving it but believe me, shod with Toyo R888's it is flipping awesome, (just needs another 100bhp :) ). BTW, with track tyres it doesn't understeer, it handles like a large go kart.

As said previously, maybe a Porsche test driver with all the data collating equipment could notice subtle changes but we as mere mortals wouldn't.

Don't think that I am not a serial modifier, my trackday Skoda vRS runs modified engine, box with LSD, brakes, suspension, stripped out, seats and harnesses and is quick on track but as a standard car would be pretty useless. The Boxster is brilliant straight out the box!

Where is the "Love and Peace" emoji?

More than happy to try a car with the controller fitted, maybe I'd buy one ;)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, phazed said:

As for the front strut braces, my car hasn't the fixings on the turrets for them. To retro fit them would be a pain. If the car was wobbly on track then I would be looking at improving it but believe me, shod with Toyo R888's it is flipping awesome, (just needs another 100bhp :) ). BTW, with track tyres it doesn't understeer, it handles like a large go kart.

As said previously, maybe a Porsche test driver with all the data collating equipment could notice subtle changes but we as mere mortals wouldn't.

If you don't ahve the turret brackets then a big job to fit and probably not worth it.  If you want a bit more stability out of the rear you could try a 'Bally Brace' I mentioned from Mick @bally4563 for about £60 - bargain.  Would be easy to do a back to back on track connected and disconnected as it only takes about 15 mins, a 15mm socket and a hammer to fit.