anyone fitted DSC controller to 987S

glen wells

1 hour ago, zcacogp said:

My understanding is otherwise; the Sport mode on the 987.1 only remaps the throttle pedal but does nothing to the engine map. A gentle push in Sport mode gives the same signals to the ECU as a firmer push in Normal mode. However, as you said, I could be wrong too! 

That is my understanding ie no change to the actual engine map used, just the input signal from the pedal to it, on a .2 DFI engine car there are two different engine maps. 

Edited by Jonttt

Interesting JonTTT. I wouldn’t get hung up about the switching reverting back to normal on a car without the controller but I see your point.

You haven’t stated your findings on the controller and whether you think that it was worth fitting?

Definately worth fitting, I would not run a PASM car without one now…….that is why they are so popular.

If you use man maths they are very cheap ie they sell for £800-£900 second hand, I paid £750 from memory. As they have no moving parts they do not wear out and I would expect to get £800 for mine if I was to sell it (the car is a keeper though) so would have got paid £50 to use it 🤣

One just sold for £500 on 911UK (for a 9x7.2 or 997.1 turbo) but as you can imagine sold very very quickly as was way underpriced by the seller 

nb re the software, if your into that sort of thing then its very fun to use. You can connect the controller up to a laptop via the USB and play around with the settings live, I did just that to get sport mapping just to my liking. You play around with a base mapping for your model of car and there are plenty of different ones you can download to try from the website. I only use sport on fast road runs but they are often out with 500+BHP cars, on those runs cornering tends to be more important than BHP so its so nice to actually be able to run the car with a firmer suspension, keep my teeth in and the nimble boxster can easily hold its own on B roads, it allows the steering feel to really come into its own as your not as distracted with an overly harsh suspension ie it allows full use the 987 best features, handling, nimbleness and steering on the twisties….its definately added value in that regard.   

Edited by Jonttt

Good to hear that it works and you are happy with it.

For me, I bought the car for a bit of soft top motoring out of about with my wife and therefore standard mode suits best. Yes I do drive it a little faster on occasion but nothing the standard mode wouldn’t easily cope with.

When I take it on track, I want the maximum firm setting for full attack which it seems to give so I’m happy with the standard settings.

Of course, if the car was fitted with a controller I would definitely have a play with it. :)

My wife has done a few Track Days with me and enjoyed them, (I think).

If all goes to plan we are going to go to Anglesey later this year and weather permitting will take the Porsche. Haven’t done Anglesea yet.

Last time I attempted, the crankshaft snapped in my TVR while in Anglesey before the track day!

Just waiting for the comment along the lines of, “this will be your 11th track day this year !”

13 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Phazed, as far as I'm aware Sport mode changes the throttle pedal map but nothing else, so there is no difference in the power or torque curves. It just had the effect of pushing the throttle pedal harder - i.e small pedal movements are read as large pedal movements. 

However I do agree that the effect is quite remarkable. (Whether it's desirable or not is another matter and there's been much typing wasted debating that point on other pages on here.)

This is a common mod for Blackpools finest and @phazed will know it as the one spring or two mod on the throttle cable 😄

You are so right Graham. Removing one spring gives the driver a feeling that the throttle is so light that it can be floored instantaneously giving huge power gains.

I know this to be true as I read it on a forum and we know that forums only state the truth………

Years ago I used to know an old boy who used to race an Elva (small Sussex maker, think Lotus). He told some stories. One was that the mechanics would be up all night preparing the car to perfection, and they expected the drivers to be equally committed. At one point when one wasn’t, they quietly shortened the throttle cable before the race…

16 hours ago, phazed said:

Removing one spring gives the driver a feeling that the throttle is so light that it can be floored instantaneously giving huge power gains.

Particularly if the single spring doesn’t allow the throttle to close properly…

• 7 months later...

Picking up on a slightly old thread. I have one fitted to my 987.1 along with the additional yaw sensor. I purchased it directly from nine excellence. My PASM shocks were replaced before I bought the DSC kit. I thought fitting new shocks and springs would have made a big difference since the car had circa 90k miles at the time. But it didn’t. I then fitted the DSC module and wow! That made a huge difference. If you can afford it then it’s worth every penny IMO. 

• Like 1

I am interested to hear what improvements specifically there are.

I really need to find someone near me that can show me the improvements.

3 hours ago, huytonman said:

I have been trying to get hold of one for a while, Parr had some showing at around £1000 but no stock, they now have stock and the price is now >£1900...so I wont be going down that route!

Keith

Got mine used off 911.com. I put a want ad and waited - about a  month and a half I think. Had to load the correct calibration files but that's dead easy. Paid less than £1000.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently on '987 all years' but I've tuned g-comfort on the g-force page from 10% down to 2%. Loads better on rough roads and because I haven't changed anything else as soon as you get to the bends it firms up the same. I've also done the same in sports mode from 15% to 10%. I haven't been on roads dry enough and ungreasy enough to really test it but I accidentally left in sports and drove home across the bumpy roads without noticing which says something.

As it was used when I got it it came with a 'custom tune' for a GT2 RS. Way too firm. Felt like the car was on stilts.

I suspect that the possible speed though any particular bend is significantly higher. Worryingly.

• Like 1

Thanks @JonSta I'm on the Tractive calibration file but tempted to switch over to the 987 all year and try the adjustment you recommended for normal road use, as the car sees a lot of track use so will keep the sport mode 'as is'

do wonder if adding anti-roll bars for track has impacted the PASMs softer setting when in normal mode 🤷‍♂️

There are racers on a thread I read somewhere who've taken the arbs off. They reckon they don't need them with DSC.

When I was trying to iron out the understeer in my Subaru I fitted whiteline 28mm arbs front and rear. Whiteline told me not to do it but I did. Thing handled like a formula one car but the ride was unnacceptable. In the end I sold it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phazed said:

Have you fitted stiffer antiroll bars? If so, what was the difference on track?

yes car has H&R arbs front and back, car also came with a lot of additional bits as well as a fairly aggressive geo setup from the previous owner, its very stable and flat on track no issues under heavy breaking or rolling onto the power out of corners.

funny you mention that @JonSta I read something similar before Xmas and cant for the life of me find it, I've already adjusted the rear ARB as was too stiff for how i drive the car, going to try the lowering the g-comfort as you suggested above and go from there.

Edited by Tartanpimpernel

Been doing some more fiddling. I set the shocks so that when cruising they're in the softest range of things which worked well. Don't think I can get the ride any smoother now and it's fine. I also lowered the 'sensitivity' value so that the shocks go firmer at lower sideways g-forces. You can just chuck it into corners now. I think I've finished fiddling. But I've said that so many times before.

• Like 1