Wind deflector mount replacement

swang

Hi, one of the wind deflector clips on the roll bar has snapped, I see there are replacement on eBay, but are they the same for both mesh wind deflector and the glass/plastic one? I've got the mesh deflector, don't really want to replace it just yet (is it even worth replacing?)

5 minutes ago, edc said:

Get them from your local dealer. 

I did a search on their website but didn't find the mount, only the full deflector set which is quite expensive, have emailed them and will see how they reply.

But I guess they are the same for both mesh and glass ones?

21 hours ago, swang said:

I did a search on their website but didn't find the mount, only the full deflector set which is quite expensive, have emailed them and will see how they reply.

But I guess they are the same for both mesh and glass ones?

The mesh deflectors clip into the roll hops on their own with no fixings, but these tabs are known to break so do not remove then unless you absolutely have to.  The clear deflector between the roll hoops requires two fixings that are riveted to the hoops.

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The mesh deflectors clip into the roll hops on their own with no fixings, but these tabs are known to break so do not remove then unless you absolutely have to.  The clear deflector between the roll hoops requires two fixings that are riveted to the hoops.

For the centre wind deflector isn't there a lower central clip or mount? I can't remember but perhaps it's moulded to the deflector frame. 

6 hours ago, edc said:

For the centre wind deflector isn't there a lower central clip or mount? I can't remember but perhaps it's moulded to the deflector frame. 

It is moulded in and mates with a recess on the deflector.

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

what I mean is the part on the roll hoop has snapped, the deflector itself is fine. I think I need to rivet those on to the roll hoop for mesh deflector too?

It's number 9 here:

unnamed.jpg

Edited by swang

On 11/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, Simon said:

You can buy the clips from the OPCs for pennies.

I used to buy them in bulk and sell on eBay.  People would pay £20+ for a pair when they were something like 79pence from the dealer.

madness…

Thank you for this, I emailed them and it's indeed 79p, and free posting....

To change these clips Item 9, you need to remove the outer moulding from the roll hoop.

I am confused about one thing, you refer to mesh and clear, as far as I am aware there is only a clear centre panel and there are only mesh outer panels.  The parts catalogue for Item 3 in the drawing 812-01 you have shown bears this out.

Items 1 & 2 that ahve integrated clips to locate in the hoops are the one piece items that the clips can break on.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

To change these clips Item 9, you need to remove the outer moulding from the roll hoop.

I am confused about one thing, you refer to mesh and clear, as far as I am aware there is only a clear centre panel and there are only mesh outer panels.  The parts catalogue for Item 3 in the drawing 812-01 you have shown bears this out.

Items 1 & 2 that ahve integrated clips to locate in the hoops are the one piece items that the clips can break on.

I do have a mesh centre deflector, it’s made of soft material, like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airax-Porsche-Boxster-Type-986-Bj-1996-2004-Windschott-/133907737061?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAiA1aiMBhAUEiwACw25MQBRCZOS6Hg536lMu2GOxoOKbtpRmXGtga6DDoSgVO4ncx-1qcWBfBoCcvgQAvD_BwE

I guess most people have the clear one? I checked the papers from the original owner and the car does have wind deflector as an option. Now thinking about it, I haven’t seen another 986 with this deflector..

38 minutes ago, edc said:

Your eBay one is aftermarket if you didn't already know that. 

The one I linked is aftermarket indeed, but is there a genuine Porsche one? The mesh deflector comes with the car when I bought it, are you saying there was no mesh deflector offered as an option from Porsche? Here's what mine looks like:

windd.jpg

windd2.jpg

44 minutes ago, swang said:

The one I linked is aftermarket indeed, but is there a genuine Porsche one? The mesh deflector comes with the car when I bought it, are you saying there was no mesh deflector offered as an option from Porsche? Here's what mine looks like:

windd.jpg

windd2.jpg

Correct, for a 986 there isn't a Porsche original equipment centre mesh wind deflector, that's a third party item.

Edited by iborguk

ya the eBay ones all look a bit scratchy, has anyone bought parts from Rose Passion: https://www.rosepassion.com/en/9865613210201c-p96123-centre-part-black-black-01c-9865613210001c-9865613210101c-P96123?devise=GBP&pays=GB&gclid=CjwKCAiA1aiMBhAUEiwACw25McFPfJ9FonU2tCGmdSzW2T6jIRCxqzimRwd9_CeCmnALez1AJ45UlhoCvTkQAvD_BwE?print, they said their part is original and new, cost slightly less than the OPC one.

23 minutes ago, swang said:

ya the eBay ones all look a bit scratchy, has anyone bought parts from Rose Passion: https://www.rosepassion.com/en/9865613210201c-p96123-centre-part-black-black-01c-9865613210001c-9865613210101c-P96123?devise=GBP&pays=GB&gclid=CjwKCAiA1aiMBhAUEiwACw25McFPfJ9FonU2tCGmdSzW2T6jIRCxqzimRwd9_CeCmnALez1AJ45UlhoCvTkQAvD_BwE?print, they said their part is original and new, cost slightly less than the OPC one.

At that price.

I'd get one from an OPC and ask for the 10% Porsche Club discount.