My 987 with blown engine rebuild

El Vikingo Tropical

Today was not to fun!

After dissembling the car taking out the oem differential I realised the Quaife unit I bought doesn't fit in my gearbox!

The OEM ring gear have 137mm between bolts and the Quaife has 150mm.

The strange is in Quaife web page the technical info says also 150mm

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/shop/atb-differentials/quaife-porsche-996-boxster-s-986-3-2l-00-04-987-3-2l-05-06-atb-differential-qdf7q/

My question is, is my care a bit strange using a not normal diameter crown wheel or is Quaife wrong?

33 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@map didn’t you play with Quaife?

Great recall - Yes and it’s the same Quaife Torque Biasing Diff (QTBD) is as described in the links above.

So I saw @El Vikingo Tropical’s post a earlier today and went looking at the photos in my thread - but I was on a plane and lost data.

My QTBD appears to be a 12 bolt version and was a simple swap.

There’s something odd going on with @El Vikingo Tropical’s transmission - I am assuming it should be the same as mine (M96 3.2) and yet it there seems to be a difference.

To help (as far as I can I can in Rural France - well Nice and area) here’s a link to the relevant post in my own running report thread:

Hopefully there’s enough info to help the OP. 

Normally I'd like to help, but the parts cat doesn't show the diff details for the 6 speed 'box!  5 speed G8701+ has a 10 crown wheel bolts (M10 x 1 x 22.8mm) and the A8720 tip and 12 bolts, but nothing for the G8720 'box. 

In the 986 catalogue the G8620 6 speed has 12 bolts (M12 x 1.25 x 22.5mm), which as it is essentially the same box might be a pointer, but with no definitive data...