Bike fell on my car

dpg123

• 1 month later...

Hi there @dpg123. I'm in a similar boat, found a hire ebike on its side still leaning against my car and having clearly damaged it. The hire company said it's not their responsibility. Your advice would be most appreciated if you have a moment.

Many thanks!

17 hours ago, 993C4S said:

Hi there @dpg123. I'm in a similar boat, found a hire ebike on its side still leaning against my car and having clearly damaged it. The hire company said it's not their responsibility. Your advice would be most appreciated if you have a moment.

Many thanks!

That sucks! @mutantfish25 has more recent and successful dealings than myself, but I'll send you a PM now with what I was able to share with them!

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, dpg123 said:

Good idea, I'm waiting for them to call back - in the meantime, I sent LIME this:

Good day,

This response is absolutely unacceptable. Clearly the bike had been left in a dangerous and negligent position whilst under your ownership and care, which goes against the rules published on your website:

QTE

Do not park in locations that are not permitted, which include, but are not limited to:

·         Wheelchair ramps

·         The middle of bike or pedestrian pathways

·         Hospital entrances

·         Fire stations

·         Inside gated communities

·         No Parking Zones (may be met with fines)

UNQTE

The fact that these rules are published on your site demonstrates your knowledge and acceptance that it is illegal to block the walkway with a bike. As such, it is plain that the bike was in an illegal position in your ownership and care. The fact the bike immediately fell over damaging my car demonstrates it was left negligent and/or dangerous condition and/or the vehicle is damaged/faulty. It is only luck that the bike did not fall onto a child causing injury or worse.

As the hire had ended, the responsibility immediately reverts from the hire customer to the owner of the vehicle (LIME/Impressum (Neutron Holdings Limited)) who are now laible for the safety and condition of that vehicle.

I hereby give you notice that I intend to commence court action in the UK as follows:

XXX

To:

Impressum

Neutron Holdings, Inc.
85 2nd Street
Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94105
USA

Re: Damage to Vehicle caused by a LIME Bike owned and operated by LIME / Impressum (Nuetron Holdings Limited) being negligently and dangerously abandoned whilst under their care.

Dear Sir,

I note your message dated 23 February 2022 rejecting my claim for damages against LIME for damage caused to my car as a result of LIME’s bike being negligently abandoned in an unsecure and dangerous position outside my home, whilst under the care and responsibility of LIME / Impressum (Neutron Holdings Limited), which resulted in the bike collapsing into my vehicle causing £750 of damage.

I am once again requesting a full payment of the damages caused (£750) - I again attach the evidence of the incident and the quotation for repair.

I request a reply as soon as possible to confirm you have received this letter.

To avoid taking court action, I am willing to use Alternative Dispute Resolution in the UK as a competent jurisdiction, to resolve this problem (in line with clause 18(h) of your user agreement).

If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may increase your liability for costs.

I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 13-16 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction. You have a legal obligation to respond to this letter.

Kind regards,

Did anything come of this? I’ve just had similar happen to my car and trying to figure out the best way forward. 

On 6/17/2024 at 8:22 PM, dnmptm said:

Did anything come of this? I’ve just had similar happen to my car and trying to figure out the best way forward. 

Hi, sorry to hear this.

I got this response:

QTE
The main contact in the UK for Lime for your claim request is the Lime Claims Team, we can be reached at claims@li.me.

For legal notices to be served in the UK, please see the following: 

Outside the U.S., documents should be directed to “Lime Electric Ireland Limited” 

We generally require that all legal documents be served at the following address: 6th Floor, South Bank House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, D04 TR29, Ireland. 

Our acceptance of legal process does not waive any legal objections we may have and may raise in response.

UNQTE

If I were you I'd copy in Hal Stevenson at Lime and threaten court:

harry.stevenson@li.me

He was the Public Affairs Manager during my claim and I managed to eventually get a full settlement. I had to sign a settlement agreement so cannot offer any further details I'm afraid.

Good luck!!