Help Needed on New purchase

Andrew Follant

11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Rotting on the inside of the discs is a known issue with Boxsters and I assume from comments here that is linked with winter - whether more water, humidity or salt I don't know.  As he said they were OK in October and dead by next June, I see that's over winter.

Got it thanks. 

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

However an MOT tester most definitely should!!  Besides my Indy has never worked on the brakes, but bear in mind it is used all year round and if left with salty water, which is positively ducted onto the discs, is left on the faces they will decay faster than the drier outer faces.  My wife's Golf cabrio had the same problem, over a winter the inner faces of the disc just blew whilst the outers looked like they had normal wear, almost like the cast iron delaminating from corrosion.  neither brake system has any sponginess to indicate a bleed is required and when I changed the brakes neither had any stuck pistons.  Something to watch out for even if you ahve nice shiny outer faces to your discs.

Mine were like it when I got the car and it’s quite faint and not getting any worse. Three mots and two advisories. Brakes work well and I have added some ducts for the inner discs from a GT3 according to the marketplace advert. I couldn’t work out how to fit them and precision showed me in the end. Like funny pieces of a 3D puzzle!

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Is the 3.4 engine similarly changed please? At some point I will re advertise the car for sale and a couple of people asked questions about the spec of the engine. It is engine number 66Y17040 what ever that means. I had one person asking me about the mechanism on the bonnet release as the type of manual operation was a factor in the overall build (apparently or more likely a reason to try and justify chipping me!) and some detail on hand re the engine can only be useful for those more thorough than me!

From 2005 model year ( actually a few months into 987 production, details below) onwards a larger diameter IMSB was used.  The 3.4 was introduced for the 06 model year so all have this larger type of bearing. This type cannot be changed without splitting the crank case, however I believe the failure rate is negligible but the bearing cover seals can leak and these can be changed.

MStTlMa.jpg 

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Mine were like it when I got the car and it’s quite faint and not getting any worse. Three mots and two advisories. Brakes work well and I have added some ducts for the inner discs from a GT3 according to the marketplace advert. I couldn’t work out how to fit them and precision showed me in the end. Like funny pieces of a 3D puzzle!

Mine were fine too until they went.  Ironically, the GT3 ducts will deflect more winter water and salt on to the disc faces....

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

From 2005 model year

to be fair, mine is a 996, not a 986 and year 2000 based on earlier info. To me, if its done 96k miles and the oil comes out clean, then all good!

7 minutes ago, TV8 said:

to be fair, mine is a 996, not a 986 and year 2000 based on earlier info. To me, if its done 96k miles and the oil comes out clean, then all good!

For the 996 Carrera, dual row bearing was up to engine number 661 14164, smaller single row bearing thereafter and as the 997 didn't come in until 2006, I suspect all 997s have the larger single row bearing that can't easily be changed.

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

For the 996 Carrera, dual row bearing was up to engine number 661 14164, smaller single row bearing thereafter and as the 997 didn't come in until 2006, I suspect all 997s have the larger single row bearing that can't easily be changed.

Looks like single row for me with engine number 66Y17040

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Looks like single row for me with engine number 66Y17040

No, you have a dual row, 66Y prefix is a 2000 engine, 661 is a 2001 engine. so you are OK, or much lower risk at least.

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No, you have a dual row, 66Y prefix is a 2000 engine, 661 is a 2001 engine. so you are OK, or much lower risk at least.

Thank you, I expect that one day that info will be used with a potential buyer!