987.2 Value Advice

Mike K

I am looking to sell my 987.2 Boxster S, a recent house move and plans for an extension has led to me being pushed into selling ☹️ and I'm looking for some advice on value. I have been offered £19200 by We buy any car, and £20k from a dealer, after looking online it seems a few similar for sale privately are around £22-23k do this sound about right ? 

The car is a 2010 (60) with PSE, Sport Chronos, Extended leather, Bose, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, Turbo 2 wheels, in what seems to be a rare colour combo (black, red interior, red roof). It has a full Porsche history and has recently had the big 12 yr service at Porsche Leeds. It is currently on 46,600 miles, disks and pads all round replaced 9k ago, it’s on Michelin N2 tyres all round, MOT July 2023 and it has a Porsche Extended Warranty on it until May 2023. 

I was thinking about listing the car in the classifieds on here, but the option to create a new post appears greyed out. I am assuming I need to subscribe to the forum ? If someone could point me in the right direction 🙂

Thanks

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Edited by Mike K

Nice looking car :)

iirc you need 40 posts to be able to access the classified section on here.

You sound like you're in the ballpark range re those numbers to m for a quick sale, if looking to offload quickly then the dealer route is probably the one I'd take (and did with my 987.2 4 months ago).

Bear in mind you're now "out of season" and private buyers maybe looking for a "bargain".

Good luck with the sale 👍(and the house).

Edited by iborguk

I'd say if a dealer offers you £20K, you should snap their hand off.  Just my opinion, of course, and not based on any particular knowledge of the car trade, but 20 grand seems a lot for a 2010 car :thumbsup_still:

Offer it to a few dealers making sure they come from different dealership groups. See if any are particularly enthusiastic (eg low stock).

1 hour ago, Mike K said:

and £20k from a dealer, after looking online it seems a few similar for sale privately are around £22-23k

Given that a dealer is likely to sell it with a margin of 3-4k, and a private seller should sell for 2-3k less than a dealer as no warranty offered, those numbers line up.

Stunning motor that is... £20k... snap their hand off is my opinion, or if you can save some money on the extension, keep it.

I work in merchanting and if i can help you save some money to keep the car, pm me.

Si.

Your price estimate seems about spot on to me. You need 40 posts to advertise on here but that's not that difficult to achieve - there is no requirement for quality of post, only quantity 😁.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

Nice looking car :)

iirc you need 40 posts to be able to access the classified section on here.

You sound like you're in the ballpark range re those numbers to m for a quick sale, if looking to offload quickly then the dealer route is probably the one I'd take (and did with my 987.2 4 months ago).

Bear in mind you're now "out of season" and private buyers maybe looking for a "bargain".

Good luck with the sale 👍(and the house).

I thought it seemed about right, its hard to gauge a price at the minute they seem to be all over the place but they do seem to of dropped a chunk from last summer. Being out of season was a concern but I won't be accepting any silly offers. I can't find another for sale in this condition and history with an extended warranty for sale anywhere. 

1 hour ago, skoosh1970 said:

Stunning motor that is... £20k... snap their hand off is my opinion, or if you can save some money on the extension, keep it.

I work in merchanting and if i can help you save some money to keep the car, pm me.

Si.

Yep took me a while to find one with the spec, history and condition. Thanks for the offer I may very well take you up on that 😁

1 hour ago, Purdie said:

Your price estimate seems about spot on to me. You need 40 posts to advertise on here but that's not that difficult to achieve - there is no requirement for quality of post, only quantity 😁.

I might have a busy evening in that case 😆

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Add another £500 to the asking price with the wheel crests aligned to the tyre valves ;) (we warned you about post quality on here)

Hopefully that's per wheel 😉  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike K said:

I might have a busy evening in that case 😆

I think, like most forums, "speedposting" is frowned upon, so don't be tempted to just post a load of old shyate on here - Leave that to @John K instead :lol:

• Haha 1

Just remember the Porsche extended warranty is only a factor in a private sale, if it goes through a dealer, it becomes null and void so not transferable.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just remember the Porsche extended warranty is only a factor in a private sale, if it goes through a dealer, it becomes null and void so not transferable.

I've always wondered...how do they know?

5 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

I've always wondered...how do they know?

Well, I suppose the dealer could put the new buyer in touch with you if both parties agree, but not sure on the regulations and ethics involved.

19 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Unlikely, any dealer would want to sell their own warranty

I suppose another option is to do a consignment sale where the dealer sells on your behalf, takes a cut but they never have title to the car so the warranty stays intact. 

Has anyone ever used these new online car buying services? (Car WOW and Motorway I think)? According to the ad you upload the cars details etc and then car dealers bid each other and you accept a higher price, or maybe that's the job of the marketing gods and got my interest!! Not tried this myself.

33 minutes ago, Mixer987 said:

Has anyone ever used these new online car buying services? (Car WOW and Motorway I think)? According to the ad you upload the cars details etc and then car dealers bid each other and you accept a higher price, or maybe that's the job of the marketing gods and got my interest!! Not tried this myself.

Recently sold my Audi A6 BiTDI on Carwow.
Carwow had the highest estimate out of all the online services and I got what I wanted for the car.
Had a slight niggle at the beginning. Two traders started bidding on the car within an hour of the listing going up. One of them made a jump of £4k so I accepted it. Got an automatic email saying that they would be in touch. This was the Saturday evening so I wasnt really suprised that I never heard anything the following day but by Monday afternoon I chased them up and the guy said that he made the offer in error and that Carwow's system didnt allow him to retract it. I dont know if he was at it or it was a genuine error, I'm thinking the former as he could have messaged me.
Anyway, went through the process again and as soon as the bid went up the second bidder of the original listing sent me an offer and I accepted it.
Couple of days later, he sent a guy to pick up the car who also did a quick inspection, the money was transferred and the car was taken away.

I have heard that buying a car from these sites can be a different story however:
https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/used-car-dealer-cinch-comes-under-fire-on-bbcs-rip-off-britain/272723

Edited by eob
  • Like 1