New Suspension (I know, I know!)

BenM

2001 2.7 67K great general condition, but tired suspension.

I know it's been done to death, but I've searched history and the greater web and still not sure. Plus technology moves forward over the years...

I'm after a 'fast road' setup (Aren't we all). If a small height reduction / improved stance can be incorporated, then great. (Yeah, ok I'm a tart ! )

It's a second car / toy - But still needs to deal with our shyatee roads. Track days possible.

I'm thinking: Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro-Kit (too extreme ?), or KONI FSD and H&R MO30 equivalent springs (-10mm I gather)

This will be getting fitted with a full Spyder Performance refresh kit (Coffin arms, Control arms, Tie rods, top mounts, track rods, drop links, etc)

All advise / suggestion / p*ss taking welcome.

Cheers

Ben

I would go for the FSD/H&R M030 combo for best value for money on the road plus some adjustable rear toe links. This will give you enough adjustment to square up the camber. 

• Thanks 1

Yep, Koni Special Active as they are called now, with the H&R M030 springs.  Check your Spyder prices against OE TRW items on Autodoc (use the app not the website for best discount) and also drop links from TRW.  Look for Sachs front top mounts too, they are OE.  I know it is more cost but inner and outer steering rods from TRW (OE supplier again) on the front make a huge difference.

You do not need adjustable toe links or coffin arms to get the M030 geo, just an accurate technician to get to the right settings.  Go too aggressive on geo and you might not get the sort of result you want to unless your aim is a track focused car, in which case go full coilover spec.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 2

Cwt help me immensely and here's a list I compiled when I got mine done a couple months back. 👍

Make sure to oder top mount inner bearing too unlike me! 🤐

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1em2My_G3EvH2XMMrvrp3fjzF6qHUwCODZ0YXL6IZ-TA/edit?usp=drivesdk

Edited by fizz
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fizz said:

Cwt help me immensely and here's a list I compiled when I got mine done a couple months back. 👍

Make sure to oder top mount inner bearing too unlike me! 🤐

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1em2My_G3EvH2XMMrvrp3fjzF6qHUwCODZ0YXL6IZ-TA/edit?usp=drivesdk

Its @½cwt....

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fizz said:

You know how many times I've tried to tag your bloody name searching for @ 1/2 etc... and nothing comes up! 🤪🤣

Hold down Alt and key 0189 on the number pad on a Windows keyboard; press and hold the 1 key on an Android keyboard, Apple, who knows....?  @rowbos sussed it I think, then disappeared.

Oh, copy and paste works too....

Edited by ½cwt

5 minutes ago, fizz said:

@½cwt copy your name and then paste after entering the @ symbol seems to work. 

Android mobile here... you could have just had a normal name to begin with too. 🤪

Just press and hold the 1 key and see what happens!  Long story; goes back over 35 years to when ASCII code was all that was in town I'm afraid.  I'll tell you more if you get to Gaydon on 3 September...  Sorry, best incentive I can offer other than a free, or at least low cost, day out depending on how advanced your man maths are.

Edited by ½cwt

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just press and hold the 1 key and see what happens

That worked... 👍

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

low cost, day out depending on how advanced your man maths are.

2.5h drive 1 way... lol... with my heavy right foot doesn't equate to low cost. 👀😆

Just now, fizz said:

That worked... 👍

2.5h drive 1 way... lol... with my heavy right foot doesn't equate to low cost. 👀😆

👏

Work on the man maths then, you've got 11 weeks!  You could take SWMBO on a weekend away.  Warwick and Leamington Spa are nice and near by... 🤔

Apologies to OP  :offtopic:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Hold down Alt and key 0189 on the number pad on a Windows keyboard; press and hold the 1 key on an Android keyboard, Apple, who knows....?  @rowbos sussed it I think, then disappeared.

I'm still here.  Just less noisy than in the past 🤓

I don't have my iPhone in front of me as I'm mainly Android, but I did find this...

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/theres-easy-way-type-fractions-as-single-characters-your-iphones-keyboard-0384944/

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Or we could just get @Araf to change your name to 'diamondgeezer'....save us the hassle 👍

• Haha 2

Thanks for the advice guys.

The Spyder Performance 'bundle' is approx £900 +VAT, so I'll check out Autodoc to compare

I'll shop around for the Konis and springs, see if there's any deals to be had

Anybody have any 1st hand experience of the H&R M030's in term of ride and amount they lower ?

Cheers

Ben

4 minutes ago, BenM said:

Anybody have any 1st hand experience of the H&R M030's in term of ride and amount they lower ?

Not that noticeable but then my springs were 20 years old and knackered before replacing anyway. 

O3D95iO.jpg

rQWvJUu.jpg

Edited by fizz

39 minutes ago, BenM said:

I'll shop around for the Konis and springs, see if there's any deals to be had

They have been out of stock on Autodoc for months, cheapest I've found so far is Larkspeed in Leeds, also on their eBay store.

1 hour ago, Stuart21UK said:

Or we could just get @Araf to change your name to 'diamondgeezer'....save us the hassle 👍

I just call him 56lbs rather than @½cwt. :)

14 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I read that as halfwit 🤔😂

You can go off some people really quickly.  I'm now regretting rattling your cage earlier today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fizz said:

Just found a before pic... and the 10cm drop is actually noticeable! 

VQ7kb8r.jpg

Definitely noticeable, especially the rear.

Looks just about right ! 👌

• Like 1