Porsche Boxster Virgin

Porschevirgin1968

We've seen people here lose a good car as neither side wanted to move about 300 quid. Given (as constantly repeated) you can find you need to spend a grand on one when you get it home, I'd say that's worth swallowing, if you like it.

• Like 1

Last service at 91k seems a while back in the MOT history. Also, not sure what happened with the mileage in 2019.

Does look good in the pictures but a couple of red flags for me. 

4 hours ago, iborguk said:

What are the advisories ?

Make/age/tread depth of rear tyres ? Do they also need replacing ? 

Well intentioned reality check, it's a 18 year old car. Unless the roof has been recently replaced it will show signs of age.

Cleaning or re proofing the roof might help - hard to say without pics of the roof issue you're referring to.

Re the independent check only you can really decide that and prices for that will vary depending on who you engage.

What's their warranty ? (although the quality of these can also vastly vary).

Vert much doubt I will get a warranty, he is a driveway trader, which is why I was going to get it checked professionally.

I think you need to decide what model you want, 986 or 987, auto or manual. 
what engine, preferred colour etc. And what you want to pay. Your parameters are too wide at the moment in my opinion. You’ll end up driving yourself mad and it will be September/October before you know it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

I think you need to decide what model you want, 986 or 987, auto or manual. 
what engine, preferred colour etc. And what you want to pay. Your parameters are too wide at the moment in my opinion. You’ll end up driving yourself mad and it will be September/October before you know it. 

...and the summer higher prices will drop off as dealers want to move on convertible stock...???

Sorry, one more variable added.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

...and the summer higher prices will drop off as dealers want to move on convertible stock...???

Sorry, one more variable added.

Well after driving that 987 last night, its definitely a 987, I just need to see if i can get a PPI on the car before I say yes, he was happy for me to arrange that, so doing my homework this morning. If I cannot get it done pretty quick, will have to leave it and look in the Autumn, when car prices may drop. Just phoned Porsche in Nottingham, they do a 111 point inspection for £216, if the condition is good, once you own the car for 90 days they will offer a warranty. 

11 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Just phoned Porsche in Nottingham, they do a 111 point inspection for £216, if the condition is good, once you own the car for 90 days they will offer a warranty. 

I am not sure if this is still the case but some OPC will only offer a warranty if every component is Porsche on the car. So tyres need to be N rated etc etc. It would be worth reading the small print, whilst the inspection may be helpful, it may point out things that are not Porsche as well as items that need to be looked at.

I am sure others will have more experience of this than me. 

• Like 1

Yes be careful of that warranty. Araf was happy with his but most people think it's a hell of a lot of money - and as above they'll request so much to be exactly Porsche spec beforehand. If you have to buy a new Moll battery and four N rated tyres, you've nearly spent the annual cost of the warranty before they give it to you. Then you might have to pay Porsche labour charges for regular servicing. Most people here just put the money in the bank and wait until something goes wrong.

Hope that 987 checks out for you :) 

• Thanks 1

Well, looks like time is beating me, cannot get an inspection on the car until next Friday and go on holiday the Sunday after, spoken to a Porsche Indy in Nottingham and he finishes today until 24th August. If the car is still there when I come back then I will pursue it, however for now the car search is over. 

The search will continue in September. The advice and guidance from you all is invaluable, I might be making a big mistake letting the car go, however time has got the better of me. Unless MickH is interested in selling a stunning looking motor.

Porsche GB approved warranty is only an option on cars which have been last serviced by Porsche , passed their 111pt check , are 15 years old or less and have done 125k miles or less at time of sign-up. The cars also in theory have to be completely Porsche bits on them - YMMV on that aspect based on the experience of some folks.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/approvedwarranty/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2NOO1M6pgAMVC9ntCh3enQwnEAAYASAAEgLfJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, Porschevirgin1968 said:

There is an Indy in Nottingham AMB Porsche but he is away now until 24th August I don't come back until 28th.

Speak to CavendishPorscha in Long Eaton they do health checks and have found them to be reputable, I use them for my 986.

• Like 1