Porsche Boxster Virgin

Porschevirgin1968

33 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Mostly Audi stock listed but all seem cheap... May be he doesn't know what he's got, but that is very cheap, price of a 986 3 or 4 years older. Perhaps 111k miles or 4 owners and is a scaring people, but neither are a big concern.

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Mostly Audi stock listed but all seem cheap... May be he doesn't know what he's got, but that is very cheap, price of a 986 3 or 4 years older. Perhaps 111k miles or 4 owners and is a scaring people, but neither are a big concern.

MOT history is pretty solid too. Must be the high mileage. Will give them a call tomorrow. 

15 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

MOT history is pretty solid too. Must be the high mileage. Will give them a call tomorrow. 

WBAC valuation is £3,855 so if he’s paid something like that he’s got a couple of grand margin which sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Aside from the obvious generic boilerplate text - their description isn't very accurate.

It doesn't have Xenon ( bi or otherwise), it doesn't have dual zone climate control ( dual zone isn't a thing on 987 - you can have climate control through - but that one has regular A/C), it doesn't have cruise control. It also doesn't have a multi function steering wheel.

So - cheap yeah, but with the exception of heated sports seats its low on spec, BOSE is a double edged sword when you want to upgrade the head unit ( unless you go for the Porsche PCCM+) - its doable, and many have done it, but it needs adapters and you lose some of the features of the system.

it looks OK in the pictures - interior is nice - but that many inaccuracies and the "optional warranty" would make me twitchy

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Aside from the obvious generic boilerplate text - their description isn't very accurate.

It doesn't have Xenon ( bi or otherwise), it doesn't have dual zone climate control ( dual zone isn't a thing on 987 - you can have climate control through - but that one has regular A/C), it doesn't have cruise control. It also doesn't have a multi function steering wheel.

So - cheap yeah, but with the exception of heated sports seats its low on spec, BOSE is a double edged sword when you want to upgrade the head unit ( unless you go for the Porsche PCCM+) - its doable, and many have done it, but it needs adapters and you lose some of the features of the system.

it looks OK in the pictures - interior is nice - but that many inaccuracies and the "optional warranty" would make me twitchy

Is the cruise control not on the left on the 987? There is an additional stalk. I can only enquire one of reviews it does say advert description was not accurate, certainly would not buy without seeing and testing. At 6k it's a good price for a 987.

Again possibly a ridiculous viewpoint , the little things like that make me wonder what else the previous custodians didn't care about. Anyway....just my eye for detail....I'm probably overthinking and I'm not the one actively looking ;)

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Again possibly a ridiculous viewpoint , the little things like that make me wonder what else the previous custodians didn't care about. Anyway....just my eye for detail....I'm probably overthinking and I'm not the one actively looking ;)

Agreed, it maybe the service history is very poor. Looks as though it's lacked a bit TLC. 

9 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Is the cruise control not on the left on the 987? There is an additional stalk. I can only enquire one of reviews it does say advert description was not accurate, certainly would not buy without seeing and testing. At 6k it's a good price for a 987.

Nope.  The small stalk bottom left in on board computer.  Cruise if present is right hand side lower stalk.  Rubbish picture on design 911 but you can see the printed txt would only make sense in the right.  

https://www.design911.co.uk/porsche/cayman-987c---981c/cruise-control/

987 have 3 stalks standard.  Cruise is the 4th if it’s fitted. 

my take they list what 12 things, 5 or six are standard, and only 2 of the remainder are real. It’s “too cheap” and at that price has no warranty, and even if a warranty is a pound i suspect it’s going to almost worthless. 

To me the ad says more about the seller than the car

18 minutes ago, iborguk said:

And the one's on the rear.

Kind of thing that screams "I don't care"

That apostrophe in 'one's' in that context offends me too...  (plural - no apostrophe, possessive - apostrophe)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Nope.  The small stalk bottom left in on board computer.  Cruise if present is right hand side lower stalk.  Rubbish picture on design 911 but you can see the printed txt would only make sense in the right.  

my take they list what 12 things, 5 or six are standard, and only 2 of the remainder are real. It’s “too cheap” and at that price has no warranty, and even if a warranty is a pound i suspect it’s going to almost worthless. 

But you can fairly easily retrofit cruise and if basic a/c is OK for you, it is potentially a bargain entry to 987 ownership.  Don't be sucked in by the titanium silver side intake grilles, it is a 2.7 not an S.

Just now, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Looks as though it's lacked a bit TLC

Love your enthusiasm. I do hope you are going in eyes open and have a few quid in the bank should things not go to plan? Hopefully, you won’t need it but these cars can bite with bills, particularly if you and spanner’s are not good friends. 

Given the range of cars you have called up, if I were in your position, I would be sending a deposit to the owner of the well maintaied black 987 in Scotland and planning the twistiest possible route home whilst away on holiday. 

It's a bit dull, basic spec and small wheels -but it is cheap - got to be worth a look

Edit - just seen the location - go in with your eyes wide open and check everything 

Edited by Mattman42

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Don't hold back Paul, lol. Advert should be accurate though, totally agree.